Sony New Camera Launch - 29th March 2023

BTM_Pix

3 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

To what degree are folks creating travel videos, vlogs, and YT content filming for greater than 30-45 minutes at a single clip?  I'd imagine that is very small segment and within that segment they do it sparingly.  

It is not just while recording, but simply being on that apparently it can overheat under certain conditions 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

It is not just while recording, but simply being on that apparently it can overheat under certain conditions 

Seems premature to be that specific and confident,  no? 12 people had a stab at it with different analysis of overheating. 

Nowhere says "unlimited recording for the seasoned professional", you misunderstood the product..

..if you are still searching for the perfect camera, you will always be! Especially these days manufacturers seem to over specialize..

It's really simple what the E1 offers and why is going to be a big hit..

1) Cutting-edge technology for vloggers

Working with the ZV-E1's 12.1 MP1 full-frame sensor, the latest BIONZ XR™ engine provides high-speed processing to support 4K 60p, 120p upgradable2 recording, while an AI processing unit improves subject-recognition capabilities for advanced vlogging applications

- a very famous sensor with great chips around it! Zirgons, diamonds and pearls and fancy epistimonic words help to give gravitas anyway!

2) Sony's E-mount system

Vary your imagery with different lenses

- as I said, lenses became a huge advantage from a disadvantage for Sony

3)Intuitive Cinematic Vlog Setting

Create memorable imagery with S-Cinetone™ and other settings

By using Cinematic Vlog Setting5 and choosing a Look and Mood6, you can create cinematic vlog footage that matches the scene and your creative intent. The overall cinematic feel is further enhanced by the use of a 24 fps7 frame rate and the widescreen Cinemascope aspect ratio (2.35:1)8 with black bands above and below the image.

- "Cinematic" always sells cameras! Everyone wants to be "cinematic" whatever that is..Certainly has black bars above and below!

4)Rely on stable camera work

5-axis in-body image stabilisation, Dynamic active Mode and Framing Stabilizer

- a good stabilizer and a couple of gimmicks for the lazy ones..

5)AI-based Auto Framing for movies

Automatically adjust the framing to highlight your main subject

- for zombies that want to be filmmakers! 

6)Real-time Recognition AF

Human pose estimation using a skeleton-based model

- for zombies filming mummies!

7) Slow and Quick Motion

Capture action in superhuman detail

- for the Marvel funs and whoever wants to feel super..(funs of Thus Spoken Zarathustra included..the original super human)

😎Creative zoom control (the rocker in the on/off dial 

- ok, that is good to have regardless 

9) 3 mic audio

- sounds better than the usual and typical arrangement 

10) amazing battery

- after half a dozen of years with terrible battery life, when they did it, they really did it..

11) smallest full frame camera

- is it really? HUGE selling point..

12) A7sIII lite for a portion of the price

- ofcourse it isn't the A7Siii, so it doesn't cost as much.. everyone's happy..if someone needs what the A7Siii does and have..well...yes, right..

2 hours ago, Evgeniy85 said:

Do people expect to film 2 hour interviews with it? 

If you're dropping $2200 on a camera you probably should be able to in 2023.

50 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

These tests also don't take into consideration things like humidity during summer, which can make it feel a lot hotter than it is. 

12 hours ago, Django said:

I can't help but feel that this ZV camera would have made much more sense as an APS-C one with the 6K oversampled FX30 sensor at half the price ($1100 / 1350€) and hence with little to no overheating. I don't even think most Vloggers and content creators care that much about FF. Its really an odd decision.

This one will be the ZV-E20. 🙂 And boy, would be much more interesting - specially if they could put a new sensor without atrocious rolling shutter.

8 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

This camera doesn't seem to be marketed toward folks using extensive color correction or 30-45 minute runtimes for single clips.  Most content creators on YT, etc., probably record 30s to 5 minutes on most clips.

And 5 minutes may be the max they can ever shoot before the camera overheating. This is just unacceptable, I don't care what kind of content creator you are or who this camera is marketed towards. And no camera should overheat while browsing its menu, that's just wrong. Reminds me of R5C getting its battery depleted during menu diving. This just completely breaks usability. Stop giving these cameras excuses.

As for "extensive color correction" well this is a 2699€ camera with some high-end specs. Why even offer 10-bit or XAVC-I if the camera can't handle it? Sony do it for the spec list but in real world conditions the camera fails to deliver on that. I called it before the announcement, this camera will have severe cripple hammer. and it does, not on paper but in real use.. straight out of the Canon playbook.

Its important to call these companies out for their shenanigans. Canon has learned via firmware updates and subsequent camera models that no longer overheat to ridiculous degrees. A lot of Sony ambassadors including Bloom and other big influencers are starting to rant over their crippling strategies and lousy firmware policies but on deaf ears it seems. Sony is sitting comfortably in its leadership position and only seems interested in pushing new cameras with the latest specs. 

There are plenty of F and A cameras to choose from..this is a "top" vlogging camera with most of the insides of a 3.800 camera for almost 60% of that price..it is pretty obvious it won't be that camera, or else it wouldn't be a new release and it would cost the same 3.800..

There isn't a niche market that Sony isn't the leader at the moment. Most do not even have a competitive model..Sony runs this race alone!

What is to criticise when there is no competition? And they even have a full vlogging line up from 1", APS-C to full frame now.

Obviously it is not a camera targeting the People here, but I have to respect the clever market fragmentation and targeting by Sony management.

This camera clicks all the boxes for the intended target group, and then clicks some more with the A.I (is it really A.I?) chip and all the gimmicks "simpler" content creators (yes, those we have mentioned before!) will love.

14 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Obviously it is not a camera targeting the People here, but I have to respect the clever market fragmentation and targeting by Sony management.

Look at ZV-1F... what a failure that one is, and dont get me started on the QX series!  Though still kudo for them to try something different, I just wish they could use a better sensor, the R6II's sensor seem to be pefect for E1 with FF 4K60P, enough res to crop anything and still have proper 4K.

Maybe Canon should do one out side the box vlogging camera too, they should really scratch that C50/R7C and make a E1 competitor, cause that where the money is

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

..this is a "top" vlogging camera with most of the insides of a 3.800 camera for almost 60% of that price..

..this is simply not true. ZV-E1 is 2699€. That's only about 30% cheaper. and you are not getting the mechanical shutter or the full IBIS. or the passive cooling. and you are losing a lot on the outside starting with the EVF (which is useful for video too in bright daylight). and in the end the high-frame rate and chunky codecs end up unusable because of overheating. all you are really benefitting from that sensor is high ISO and low RS. All the rest is crippled.

Even all the cool AI features end up ruining the IQ because the 1:1 4K sensor can't oversample. A shameful "cinematic mode". Zero vertical shooting options. Piss poor mobile communication. Really this is what you applaud? This is the best Sony can come up with for this market?

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

What is to criticise when there is no competition? And they even have a full vlogging line up from 1", APS-C to full frame now.

No competition? So you mean to tell me "VLogging" can only be done on a "ZV" camera? 

Sorry I find that a bit ridiculous. I follow a few "vloggers" and none use a ZV camera.

The pre-existing ZV lineup is pretty awful too.

No I'm not the target but I know people that are and they wouldn't touch this camera with a 6-foot selfie pole.

To me they got everything wrong with this cam. Its all hype and fluff. Basically a tourist trap for hype beasts.

Because we are not going to agree on pricing let's take the U.S one, it is 3.500 with 2.200$. = 37% less

If it is a trap, and full hype, and cripple hammered, let's just called it marketing and market and product  fragmentation!

Obviously I am not supporting the camera, I wouldn't buy a Sony even if they were free of charge..but I am trying to be realistic and I see a lot of marketing (let's say, traps) traps here for the uninitiated..

What would most vloggers think?

Tiny body that sees in the dark with the most blurry stuff at the background that always keeps me in frame, stabilized, and mostly in focus, and just need one battery per day. All these while is very similar to the super expensive and professional bigger camera while I got it for 37% less. Also. FULL FRAME! what a bargain!

They will have a kit lens and one cheap prime to make them feel pro, and that's it..

..that is my impression of this release, and have all the basic stuff for commercial success, and camera companies are trying to sell cameras and lenses. There is no shame on that..

you keep overlooking the one major caveat: overheating. all the FF / A7S3 / Z battery / AI stuff is worth zip if your camera bricks after couple minutes. and it will. this camera could potentially ruin whatever summer travel vlog in an exotic location. also very skimpy hardware for a "high-end" vlog camera (single card slot, micro HDMI, cheap plastic body)

that is why I consider this camera a trap/scam. its the R5 all over again but much much worse (R5 never overheated in 5 minutes) due to the horrible thermal dissipation such a body with that kinda horse power emits.

I did a small tour around the internets to see what's going on..well, it seems most people agree with my opinion, everyone is talking about the "best vlogging camera", and I am not going to spoil their party..

I also watched some Australian dude shooting outside 4K/50p I think, and didn't have any issues..

Isn't this the FX6 sensor anyway?

For YouTubers earning my money, or ones willing to be like their idols, this will be marketed as THE vlogging camera to have, and for the price, anyone can buy it, usually they spend a lot more for silly gimmicks, like offering money to waitresses, or cars, or go to a one day trip to Solomon islands, or drive a Bugatti or a F-15 jet, so spending 2.500$ for a camera and a couple of lenses is their least concern, especially if it is THE BEST VLOGGING CAMERA, out there.

I mean, 2.200$ is very cheap for THE BEST anything!

I am not sure if interests any one of us here though..we are definitely not the target group, but most - except me ofcourse! - had or have, or will have a Sony camera, so they do a lot of things right and the proof is in you at some point have invested on a Sony camera and/or lenses..

That guy is really good, definitely a filmmaker and not a youtuber/tiktoker, compare to his other travel film done on a6500 3 years ago he improved quite a lot! (and he is quite young)

I doubt avg joe or even experienced one can create that kind of work.

Haven't been following the camera market for a while and then this ZV-E1 appears. WOW. What a camera.

Obviously I'm not their target audience so it makes sense that I find it uninteresting and too expensive. That cinematic mode sounds cool until you look at the image and it looks really bad. Almost like the picture effect of older sony cameras. The AI framing thing looks much more practical and interesting but I'm sure it's not yet ready for professional work.

A season filmmaker can make great videos with this ZV-E1, no doubt. But on the hands of newbiew vloggers or regular people who want a travel camera, the ZV-E1 isn't going to give them better results than much cheaper cameras.

23 minutes ago, aaa123jc said:

Haven't been following the camera market for a while and then this ZV-E1 appears. WOW. What a camera.

Obviously I'm not their target audience so it makes sense that I find it uninteresting and too expensive. That cinematic mode sounds cool until you look at the image and it looks really bad. Almost like the picture effect of older sony cameras. The AI framing thing looks much more practical and interesting but I'm sure it's not yet ready for professional work.

A season filmmaker can make great videos with this ZV-E1, no doubt. But on the hands of newbiew vloggers or regular people who want a travel camera, the ZV-E1 isn't going to give them better results than much cheaper cameras.

Exactly the opposite, it has tricks and technical specifications that someone with very limited knowledge can achieve results much above his/hers abilities..