Sony New Camera Launch - 29th March 2023

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

A7sIIi sensor

4K60p in 4:2:2 10-bit all-intra

4K120p in a future firmware update

5 axis steadyshot

S-Log 3/S-Cinetone

MI Hot Shoe Mount

$2,200

Watching that presentation, this camera has some very smart and practical AI features for the target market.

They'll sell a boatload of them.

I think the price is very steep for the target demo. Especially in Europe. I just can't imagine your average vlogger dropping that kinda coin on a camera targeted at amateurs/beginners.

That being said the camera has some pretty solid specs/features. They didn't gimp it as much as I thought they would.

In fact, in quite a few ways it actually surpasses the A7S3 with next-gen AF, focus compensation and even LUT support.

And it retains ALL-I 10-bit Slog3. 

I assume an A7S4 is just around the corner.

The body of course is of the cheaper kind. And no EVF, no mechanical shutter. Micro HDMI etc.

The IBIS is also the more basic A7C one, not the same as in A7 series.

And the biggest con, no active/passive cooling. 

I've just seen some tests and the camera overheated in 30mn using XAVC-I. 

This totally kills it imo for most types of shooting.

• Super Members
28 minutes ago, Django said:

I just can't imagine your average vlogger dropping that kinda coin on a camera targeted at amateurs/beginners.

Yeah, they have a lot of ZV-E10 user base who will upgrade and of course there are always new vloggers wanting to get in on the action but it does feel like it could have been probably $500 cheaper.

That said, there are a lot of productivity aids to it that will make that additional $500 a good investment based on how targeted it is to the function.

The fact that being based on the A7Siii then it can see in the dark will be a big draw and again something which the extra $500 could seem a reasonable price to pay.

And no EVF, no mechanical shutter. Micro HDMI etc.

I suspect the lack of mechanical shutter will be less of a hindrance to the target market, HDMI more so but probably less of an issue than it is to many non-vloggers.

The EVF situation though is made worse from what I can see on the reviews by the screen not seeming to be particularly bright.

The IBIS is also the more basic A7C one, not the same as in A7 series.

Though the AI reframing mode probably offsets that for the target market.

And the biggest con, no active/passive cooling. 

I've just seen some tests and the camera overheated in 30mn using XAVC-I. 

This totally kills it imo for most types of shooting.

Yep, seems to be in the 50/60p modes but OK in the regular frame rates.

Depends on the situation whether anyone will be doing continuous takes of that length but what I haven't seen anything about is the recovery times ?

The ZV-E10 has gained a lot of traction for vloggers whilst having similar overheating issues from what I can see so I'm guessing the ones who's shooting methods weren't impacted by that or found some mitigation (just shading the camera outside and changing the power options had a very big impact from videos I've seen) won't be as put off.

Giving everyone all that camera - even at a slightly inflated price - and then making it more or less unusable outdoors would be next level gimpery from Sony !

Sony is dominating the market at the moment. Every release is a power move it seems. For the targeted group is perfectly fine and the price very competitive..there are lesser options in APS-C with loads of new wide and ultra wide lenses for cheaper.

Sony did it again..and I hate them for it..

...meanwhile in Canon-land, the R8 is still 1930euros! If the trend continues, it will be all Sony until the end of decade..

6 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The fact that being based on the A7Siii then it can see in the dark will be a big draw and again something which the extra $500 could seem a reasonable price to pay.

honestly the low light of A7S3 is a little over rated imo. its actually a 48MP quad bayer sensor so not actually bigger photo sites.

8 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I suspect the lack of mechanical shutter will be less of a hindrance to the target market, HDMI more so but probably less of an issue than it is to many non-vloggers.

marketing aside if you just compare this cameras price point and its specs to the competition (S5ii, R6ii) that's when you realise how stingy Sony went on specs.

9 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yep, seems to be in the 50/60p modes but OK in the regular frame rates.

Depends on the situation whether anyone will be doing continuous takes of that length but what I haven't seen anything about is the recovery times ?

Actually the test I saw was the camera overheating in 30mn in XAVC-I in 24p in normal indoor conditions !!! Going LongGop extends the time and 8-bit as well obviously.

Gerald Undones video is up now and the overheating jumps down from 2 hours to 1 hour when ambient temperature rises from 22 to 24 degrees Celsius. The camera will probably be completely unusable in summer / hot locations.

I'm not even speaking of 4K60p & 4K120p.

This is really my main gripe about the camera. No matter the target. 

10 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Sony is dominating the market at the moment. Every release is a power move it seems. For the targeted group is perfectly fine and the price very competitive..there are lesser options in APS-C with loads of new wide and ultra wide lenses for cheaper.

Sony did it again..and I hate them for it..

...meanwhile in Canon-land, the R8 is still 1930euros! If the trend continues, it will be all Sony until the end of decade..

How is a ZE1 priced at 2699€ a better deal than an R8 at 1799€ ?

R8 may not have all those gimmicky AI functions but at least it doesn't overheat. Plus it has a EVF and front curtain shutter. Seems like much better value to me..

2 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

How does this compare to fx30? 

FX30 has active cooling so no overheating to start with. Much better form factor and higher quality build, full HDMI, RAW out, Cine EI mode, top handle with XLR unit, dual card slots. Supersampled 4K so sharper image. APS-C sensor though so much worst low light.

They threw a bunch of stuff inside the ZE1 but with the massive overheating its all kind of useless for any type of serious work or simply again hot locations. 

For pros FX30 is a much more reliable camera with the active cooling.

Sony should have priced this at $1500 to match the R8, at $2200 it is a bit overpriced with no evf, no mechanical shutter (have fun take photo under fluorescent or some odd light) , overheats in 4k60p, no crop mode 4k.

It will sell bunches based on being a lower priced A7Siii alone. There are also a lot of people still using the A7c and this is an easy upgrade path for them.

I have no interest in it, but I absolutely see the market it is going for.

My YouTube feed has been trash today, between the Freewell filters, Insta360 gimbal, and now this.

Over-priced trash.

OK, it has some individual elements, but as a whole?

Nah.

FX30 easily. Or if you want a mechanical shutter (and other than Z9, I would), then S5ii, R6ii, R8, XH2/s and maybe even Nikon Z6ii…

Or Sony’s own A7iv.

This new Sony however seems to be one of those ‘paper spec cameras’ but in any real world use, is a bit shite.

I don’t like it. I had a ZV1 and I did like that. This doesn’t fix any of the (few) issues I had with the ZV1.

Neither did the other ‘in between’ one whose name I forget… ZVsomething else.

I’d rather they just have them girls names or something as it would be easier to remember…