Sony New Camera Launch - 29th March 2023

BTM_Pix

4 hours ago, markr041 said:

S5 is great. But, an APS-C crop in 4K 60p and really bad AF - it loses focus, and it goes back and forth. Also the 4K 60p crop is in S5 ii and iix.

Do you think that the mic quality is good enough on ZV-E1 to not use an external mic? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Evgeniy85 said:

Do you think that the mic quality is good enough on ZV-E1 to not use an external mic? 

That's an important question.  Two advantages of an external mic mounted on the camera over internal mics that are now negated by the ZV E1 are that you can choose directionality and conveniently use a deadcat to muffle wind.

So that then leaves pure audio fidelity, which might vary by sound source.

The ZV E1 videos I posted have recordings of various instruments including voice. So one can judge whether the audio is good enough for these sources (forward direction was used; uncompressed 16bit 48Hz audio was recorded internally).

1 hour ago, Django said:

@markr041 So any overheating reports in any of your 4K60p endeavours ? Just checked the weather in Chengdu and its about to get pretty hot, good week ahead for stress test!

So far, no issue. I do feel the camera getting hotter as the ambient temperature increases. Temperatures did reach 80's F for one shoot (I was in Shandong too), but I never even received a heat warning. I do turn the camera off a lot between shots. This does tax the battery more, but I actually never exhausted a full battery either.

16 minutes ago, markr041 said:

So far, no issue. I do feel the camera getting hotter as the ambient temperature increases. Temperatures did reach 80's F for one shoot (I was in Shandong too), but I never even received a heat warning. I do turn the camera off a lot between shots. This does tax the battery more, but I actually never exhausted a full battery either.

That can be interesting to check when 4K 120fps will arrive, my main interest on this one :- )

A7s2, no 4k60, bad AF- it loses focus, and it goes back and forth. Also the 4K 60p crop is in A7iV and A7 iii has none. @markr041

Muaha, I named the S5 as a no brainer better camera by large margins for video quality compared to the A7s2, no comparision hands done.

The pure cinema quality image is in the league of the best hybrids out there. Nikon Z9, Canon R5, you name it. Battery life no contest. IBIS no contest. Photos no contest. Ergonomics no contest. So your reply is really hillarious. I am usually on the mellow side and I like a lot of your insights, but this post of yours made me crack up and a bit. It does not make any sense in the given context imho. You can buy a used S5 for 800EUR. One could seem to be mad to buy an A7s2 instead, a  camera with a 4K codec worse than a M43 Lumix G7 in 24p HD. 🙂

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

A7s2, no 4k60, bad AF- it loses focus, and it goes back and forth. Also the 4K 60p crop is in A7iV and A7 iii has none. @markr041

Muaha, I named the S5 as a no brainer better camera by large margins for video quality compared to the A7s2, no comparision hands done.

The pure cinema quality image is in the league of the best hybrids out there. Nikon Z9, Canon R5, you name it. Battery life no contest. IBIS no contest. Photos no contest. Ergonomics no contest. So your reply is really hillarious. I am usually on the mellow side and I like a lot of your insights, but this post of yours made me crack up and a bit. It does not make any sense in the given context imho. You can buy a used S5 for 800EUR. One could seem to be mad to buy an A7s2 instead, a  camera with a 4K codec worse than a M43 Lumix G7 in 24p HD. 🙂

I am not sure who this comment is addressed to or what it is doing in this thread. The thread is about the ZV E1, not the a7s2. I certainly agree that there is no reason to purchase an a7sii, or a Kodak Brownie camera for that matter.

If you want a contest of the ZV E1 against the Panasonic S5, which might be more relevant to this thread, then it is obvious that the AF and stabilization of the ZV E1 is better than that of the S5, and the S5 crops to APS-C in 4K60p, while the ZV E1 has no crop and no binning. The S5 AF is truly awful - I have used it extensively. The S5 IBIS for static shots is great and I agree its image quality is lovely, and it also does well in the dark, except for focusing. OK? Technology moves on.

If anyone doubts my credentials to comment on the S5, here is one of my S5 videos, which I like a lot:

11 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Some real world usage overheating tests.

image.png.571f5fef77f26777171f26ef0b836814.png

Lesson learnt.

Out of jokes, seems promising anyway. Africa is much more friendly than that north hemisphere, anyway ; )

Wondering on 4K 100/120fps yet though, something will push me to buy one of them at least... very likely. And this:

Same guy got the camera to overheat in an indoor test.. in Canada. But not in the African heat, albeit covered from direct sunlight on a windy day. He actually also did an overheat test with one of those small fans blowing right on the camera and it passed so air flow seems like the key to manage thermals. I'm still way too skeptical to drop 2699€ on something that seems to require natural or artificial ventilation to beat overheating but these findings sure are fascinating!