Sony New Camera Launch - 29th March 2023

BTM_Pix

On 6/2/2023 at 5:43 AM, kye said:

When I joined a bunch of Facebook groups related to MFT and GH5 etc a few years ago I realised a few very interesting things:

• There were pros shooting music videos on MFT cameras like the GX85 and G9 - fully booked working professionals
  • There were people who didn't know anything technical at all doing real paid work...  posts like "I've just bought a GH4 and a vintage 50mm lens, my first real camera setup.  I've got 8 paid gigs scheduled starting in 5 days time - what does the mode knob do? and is 50mm a good lens to use?"

I love me my GX85 stuff. I enjoy great stuff shot with this little gem and other cameras of the past like the G6 - 85 series, the older GH cameras and so on. What group(s) would you recommend for stuff like this? Pro work with 8bit oldtimers, love that! @kye I had my GX85 with me for a large family gathering. I accidently shot some clips at 720 25p with 10Mbps. But then I figured, does not look too bad. 🙂 Good thing was I could shoot at 200 ISO withoout a sweat with plenty light available. Gruesome LED practicals mixed into the ambient light though. Still all looking good. A GX85 with GH5(2:) inside would be perfect for me, even in HD only.

Would love to see a lowlight test between FX3 and a S1 or S1H or S5 at 12800. The S series is known to provide a lowlight image like the FX6 in regards of grain, whereas the FX3 still inherited mush from the A7S3 afaik.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

I love me my GX85 stuff. I enjoy great stuff shot with this little gem and other cameras of the past like the G6 - 85 series, the older GH cameras and so on. What group(s) would you recommend for stuff like this? Pro work with 8bit oldtimers, love that! @kye I had my GX85 with me for a large family gathering. I accidently shot some clips at 720 25p with 10Mbps. But then I figured, does not look too bad. 🙂 Good thing was I could shoot at 200 ISO withoout a sweat with plenty light available. Gruesome LED practicals mixed into the ambient light though. Still all looking good. A GX85 with GH5(2:) inside would be perfect for me, even in HD only.

Would love to see a lowlight test between FX3 and a S1 or S1H or S5 at 12800. The S series is known to provide a lowlight image like the FX6 in regards of grain, whereas the FX3 still inherited mush from the A7S3 afaik.

Just search for the camera/brands that you're interested in and see what pops up...  I will warn you though - the GH5+metabones+18-35+gimbal stereotype is real!!

It is a bit of a different lensing and approach than the one I am interested in @kye 🙂 Thank you for the warning. Anyway, I don´t wanna distract from the topic of this thread, of course.:)

So back to topic. If Sony was only to give the FX3 and the ZV E1 an option to turn off the gruesome noise reduction, it would make it a compelling option for me to consider. But just knowing there is some mambo jambo kicking in at a certain point makes it so much less attractive to me than my S1, despite FF 4K 60p-120p vs S35 60p. I like the colors and image people are able to achieve with the FX3 and sofore showing off the potential image of the ZV E1. Common Sony, give us zero noise reduction and you gonna make some good extra money by that decision alone. Would share the crown with your fX6 for lowlight queen then. Maybe that´s what you are hesitant about, dear Sony.🙂

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

It is a bit of a different lensing and approach than the one I am interested in @kye 🙂 Thank you for the warning. Anyway, I don´t wanna distract from the topic of this thread, of course.:)

So back to topic. If Sony was only to give the FX3 and the ZV E1 an option to turn off the gruesome noise reduction, it would make it a compelling option for me to consider. But just knowing there is some mambo jambo kicking in at a certain point makes it so much less attractive to me than my S1, despite FF 4K 60p-120p vs S35 60p. I like the colors and image people are able to achieve with the FX3 and sofore showing off the potential image of the ZV E1. Common Sony, give us zero noise reduction and you gonna make some good extra money by that decision alone. Would share the crown with your fX6 for lowlight queen then. Maybe that´s what you are hesitant about, dear Sony.🙂

You could stick a ninja v on top of the FX3 to record Prores raw, then convert either to Prores 4444 or CDNG RAW. Then you get rid of all noise reduction. But setup is bigger, and I understand how that could be annoying. 

On 6/6/2023 at 1:17 AM, FHDcrew said:

You could stick a ninja v on top of the FX3 to record Prores raw, then convert either to Prores 4444 or CDNG RAW. Then you get rid of all noise reduction. But setup is bigger, and I understand how that could be annoying. 

Emphasis on the latter. I like the color response in grading of the FX3. I just don´t like the feeling not to know, when the mambo-mushy-jambo kicks in.

Same thing with the C300II fi. Great camera, colour and image, but that digital pipeline does some of the weirdest stuff under certain conditions of lowlight, maybe except the C4K mode. FX3 looks mushy in lowlight compared to the S series. But one firmware update can make this camera a real contender, which even Greig Fraser could possibly film a blockbuster or masterpiece with.🙂 cheers

The ZV E1 is a great travel camera:

The Zeiss 24-70 lens is the ONLY Sony 24-70 or 20-70 lens that is parfocal (not the GMaster or the new 20-70 G).

The very last clip of this video was shot at ISO 12,800 in the dark Union station. I do not see anything "mushy." Is this another exaggerated obsession, like with overheating? 🙂 

9 hours ago, markr041 said:

The ZV E1 is a great travel camera:

The Zeiss 24-70 lens is the ONLY Sony 24-70 or 20-70 lens that is parfocal (not the GMaster or the new 20-70 G).

The very last clip of this video was shot at ISO 12,800 in the dark Union station. I do not see anything "mushy." Is this another exaggerated obsession, like with overheating? 🙂 

It definitely has the Sony FF look...  and the ISO 12,800 shot looked pretty darn clean to me.  

I'd argue that in some ways it's too good for a travel camera.  Although everyone films it differently, I think that travel is potentially the genre where the most amount of compromises need to be made, and manufacturers seem to make them in odd combinations that assume you do things in a certain way.  Fortunately for you, you seem to be the kind of shooter that Sony assumes everyone is.  

For me, there are features that almost no-one offers that would be of huge value to me and would strongly influence my purchasing decisions.  Then again, the entire consumer industry has been in full problem-reaction-solution mode for our entire lifetime, so it's hardly surprising. 

Not a travel video, not test shots of people, not reportage. Just a video that exploits the features of the camera - like superb AI AF for people, good audio, good stabilization, wide DR, full-frame subject isolation, and par focal zoom - to depict activities in a place:

Gaming and performances in a public place.

• 2 weeks later...

The 4K 120P license is now available (as promised for June).

There is a slight crop.

No active or dynamic active stabilization (which also had a crop). 120P crop is about the same as shooting with active stabilization.

No Clear Image Zoom.

No All-I. Can use HEVC (XAVC HS), at 280 Mbps.

No added cost, at least in the US.

11 hours ago, markr041 said:

Amendment to the above:

120P 4K is NOT an S&Q setting. It is a normal option for XAVC HS, along with 60P and 24P. Thus, audio is recorded.

There are two bitrate options: 200 Mbps and 280 Mbps.

Both 10bit 422.

This is quite a good outcome.  

In Parts Unknown with Anthony Bourdain they filmed a lot in slow-motion and used it in the edit as both real-time as well as slowed-down (conformed) which would require audio in 120p if doing in-camera audio.

I suspect it's quite useful if you're making stylised documentary / verite style content.

On 4/7/2023 at 7:03 PM, Kisaha said:

Some of the people that will buy this camera will make double or more, times more money this year than the 2 of us combined! And it won't even overheat! Haha!

Time for us to ditch Sound Mixing etc and become "social media influencers"??? 

11 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Time for us to ditch Sound Mixing etc and become "social media influencers"??? 

Ideas for your new channel:

• "Ask the beard" a channel with you reacting to videos and viewer questions from a NZ perspective
  • "Hold my beard" a channel where you do challenges and review the many extreme sports in NZ
  • "For the beard" a channel focusing on progressive fashion culminating in launching beard-care products for both men and women

The possibilities are endless, just like the talent available!

On 6/30/2023 at 11:43 AM, kye said:

"Hold my beard" a channel where you do challenges and review the many extreme sports in NZ

Do Ironmans count as an "extreme sport"? (NZ has the world's oldest international Ironman!) 

I'm down for this. 

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Do Ironmans count as an "extreme sport"? (NZ has the world's oldest international Ironman!) 

I'm down for this. 

Sure!

But for a weekly upload schedule you might need to branch out somewhat 🙂 

7 hours ago, kye said:

But for a weekly upload schedule you might need to branch out somewhat 🙂 

I could have a daily upload schedule if I wanted to. This guy had a plan to do an Ironman every single day: 

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a36610754/james-lawrence-iron-cowboy-100-ironman-distance-triathlons-100-days/ 

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I could have a daily upload schedule if I wanted to. This guy had a plan to do an Ironman every single day: 

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a36610754/james-lawrence-iron-cowboy-100-ironman-distance-triathlons-100-days/ 

Well, if that's what you want to do then don't let me stop you, but social media is bad for your health in many ways and something like this might be one of them!!

It also reminds me of the doco The Barkely Marathons which used to be on Netflix but doesn't seem to be available any more - if you haven't seen it I highly recommend it 🙂

This one is on YT and is also a pretty good watch, although I think the other one was a better edit (and definitely a better colour grade!):