Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)

newfoundmass

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@hyalinejim
Thanks, but I couldn't find that on my S1 with the newest firmware. It's on the S5 but not on the S1. I liked the menus of the GH5 but the menus on the S1 are a horror to me btw. I imagine it's the same with the S5. The interface to dial through the menu is pure horror to me indeed. Maybe that's another reason why i am not willing to use my S1 much. If i had more jobs for Dslm use, it would be different, of course. But even then i rent a Gh5 or use my Fs700.

The 2x mode on the Gh5 is a 2.5K image, half of the horizontal pixel count btw. @kye is a fan of this mode, as I am too. My tiny GX85 also has it! I wished the S line had the same or more flexibility with crop modes and ratios. Gh5 was pretty sweet in that regard. Gh6 lost the 1.4x Super16 mode on the other hand, which the Gh5 had. 4to3 S16 with full Super16 gate width or 1 to 1.66? Yes, please!:) Now, Panny, give us a Gx85 with 10bit. 599, yes please! Instant buy.

Theoretically a person could have a custom V-log to S-log LUT in their S5mk2 camera and be able to smoothly shoot alongside Sony cameras as well? Hmmm

Could (kinda... half way) "fix" one of the other big negatives about the Panasonic cameras: "it is not Sony". 

As Sony is the dominant player in the pro market for anything low to mid budget (i.e. "not ARRI"). So very frequently you'll see a Sony Camera Op being requested, so that they smoothly integrate in with their existing workflow. 

The other big problem for Panasonic is there no upwards path to progress with the L Mount. 

Desperately there is an EVA2 with an L Mount that is needed! (so very sad that a EVA1 MFT never happened 😕 ) 

Seems the cinema camera division at Panasonic has been gutted, so I guess an EVA2 (of any sorts) won't be happening? 

If a future EVA1 sequel will never happen, and the LUMIX team have to step up to the plate, then perhaps a "Panasonic BS2H" is what is needed?? (an updated BS1H!)

Apparently the boss of the cinema division now works in the LUMIX division, and I'd say that is very very very good news indeed! Gives me hope for a future "Panasonic BS2H"

This BS2H could have dual SDI outputs (with zero delay, and independent), plus internal NDs, and that would make everyone very very happy. (plus of course keep everything good about the BS1H, and bring over all the goodness of the S5mk2)

40 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Theoretically a person could have a custom V-log to S-log LUT in their S5mk2 camera and be able to smoothly shoot alongside Sony cameras as well? Hmmm

Could (kinda... half way) "fix" one of the other big negatives about the Panasonic cameras: "it is not Sony". 

As Sony is the dominant player in the pro market for anything low to mid budget (i.e. "not ARRI"). So very frequently you'll see a Sony Camera Op being requested, so that they smoothly integrate in with their existing workflow. 

Could buy cinematch, convert to SLOG3 and export the result as a LUT from Resolve?

33 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

the menus on the S1 are a horror to me btw. I imagine it's the same with the S5

The S5 follows the example of the GH6 when it comes to menus, if that makes you feel any better 😂

8 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

custom V-log to S-log LUT

It's certainly an interesting possibility. It would be great to be able to say to potential clients that you can offer them a range of flavours of log, all from the same camera. Perhaps people with external recorders have been able to do this for a while now.

20 minutes ago, FHDcrew said:

Could buy cinematch, convert to SLOG3 and export the result as a LUT from Resolve?

You can make a LUT to convert to and from a range of gammas and gamuts using LutCalc
http://cameramanben.github.io/LUTCalc/LUTCalc/index.html

However, there's probably a bit more to it than that insofar as the colour response of sensor A is still going to be different from sensor B. In the same way that many Panasonic cameras have V-Log but do not necessarily match, eg: GH5 and GH6. Presumably, the difference between Sony and Panasonic [converted to SLog] could be even greater. (I guess Cinematch addresses by doing further colour matching based on model? If it doesn't, it should ideally)

In complex edits where 2 or more different cameras were used it would certainly be more convenient to have the conversion of one camera to another baked into the file, rather than trying to discern or remember which camera took which shot and therefore which needs a conversion LUT and which doesn't.

Nevertheless, I would do extensive testing before baking anything in for a few reasons:

1. The maximum size cube LUT in-camera is 33 point (or at least it is on the GH6 and I'm presuming it's the same). Might this create banding in some situations, where a 65 point LUT dropped on the timeline wouldn't?

2. There are a few hoops to jump through in creating the LUT to load in camera. The LUT you create might work well in your usual NLE but will give unexpected results when applied in camera, particularly in terms of whether it is designed to work on data or video levels.

All this stuff can be figured out for sure, but like so many things in life there's more complexity to it than first meets the eye.

5 minutes ago, Dave Maze said:

Hey guys! Still finishing up my full review. Do you guys have any questions about it? 

Hi Dave, if you have Sigma lenses more AF tests with them. How good if AF locking onto one person in a group or scene with various people. How good is magnify to check focus while filming? (only Jordan from DP review has mentioned that I think). Let us know what firmware you are on! I think Panasonic should have made every reviewer stat exactly which firmware they are on as there seems to be some confusion there.

4 minutes ago, Dave Maze said:

Do you guys have any questions about it? 

Thanks for asking!

1. Is there any option to easily do a 2x crop when recording HD? A few users here, myself included, loved this feature on the GH5 and miss it on newer cams.

A user here @deezid in search of an ideal organic image wrote (in relation to the GH6),

To be fair no other MFT cameras but the GH5 II was completely sharpening free

Using V-Log and internal ProRes, the amount of noise reduction is by far the least I've seen on any Lumix camera, especially chroma NR. Which also means that it outperforms the S Series when it comes to capturing chroma detail below middle gray (important for skin, foliage etc)

2. How does S5 II V-Log strike you with NR and sharpness at 0, in comparison to other Panasonic cameras, if you're familiar with them to that degree?

3. Any additional feedback on autofocus performance using EF (including third party EF) lenses with the Sigma MC-21 adapter, if you have it.

31 minutes ago, Dave Maze said:

Hey guys! Still finishing up my full review. Do you guys have any questions about it? 

Please double triple check if the rolling shutter and HDMI delay is really as bad as some people say it is! 😕 😞 Would be great to get another hard facts measurement (plus an opinion too!) on this. 

Could you make a V-log to S-log conversion LUT, then burn that into the recorded files on the S5mk2 then tell (& show!) us how close that is in terms of matching with native Sony cameras & their S-log files? 

1 hour ago, Dave Maze said:

Do Panasonic S5 II has the 200$ option for external RAW video ? Is BRAW supported as external RAW video format ? It should be as all current models have it. Just want a clarification as all other reviewers talk about ProRes and ProRes RAW as external video option for Panasonic S5 II X model

• Andrew Reid changed the title to Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)