Lenses

Andrew Reid

4 hours ago, mercer said:

Since I am as guilty as Zach (more so even) I'd like to make a formal apology to your fingers to be forced to work a little harder, or maybe your eyes to witness my putrid images.

The rationale for posting frame grabs, or stills, is to show how these lenses work in the real world and to show other readers how they look in combination with different cameras. As much as I enjoy reading about lenses, the courier font doesn't completely express the qualities of a lens in a visual medium. And as awesome as a link to every single new lens that gets released, from every single Chinese optics company is, I'd prefer to see how your images look with said lens and whatever camera you use... then I could truly get an idea about the quality of the lens for my possible use.

I also think the lens section has been a little corner of this site where the technical merit of gear is put on the back burner for the optical and mechanical grace of manipulating light, so in that regard, I appreciate Geoff CB's and Noone's and Heartless's and BTM's and Kye's and Zach's, and etc... contributions as an artistic learning tool. But I learn more about a lens on Flickr than I do staring at a DXOmart chart... if you prefer charts and links, I again apologize.

However, what I find odd about your comment is... if you would rather discuss lenses in a different manner, I don't think anybody is stopping you from starting a discussion that interests you more. In fact, the lens section is my favorite place in the forum, so I'd be happy if there were more discussions.

i for one, like your putrid images, more substance than the say the girls on film thread. but each to their own i guess. by all means  people should post a few images from new lenses that are acquired, but maybe start a thread if its to be an ongoing exercise. its nice too hear about a nice lens somebody has used but proof of the pudding is in the seeing i think. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Time for a new thread?

Why?

People have been discussing lenses and posting images and screen grabs from lenses.

If this isn't the purpose of a thread about lenses then I'm not sure what is... Just because someone complains doesn't mean we have to go all scorched earth or move to a new country and start again :) 

Does anyone have any comparisons of the SLR Magic 8mm and 7artisans 12mm on OG BMPCC ?

Obviously there's a difference in FOV, but there's also a difference in aperture so I'm trying to work out which route to go down. Then there's delivery times, 8mm will take a week, 12mm can come tomorrow... and since its' not a low light camera, I figure 2.8 is more valuable than the extra width... What do you think?

24 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Does anyone have any comparisons of the SLR Magic 8mm and 7artisans 12mm on OG BMPCC ?

Obviously there's a difference in FOV, but there's also a difference in aperture so I'm trying to work out which route to go down. Then there's delivery times, 8mm will take a week, 12mm can come tomorrow... and since its' not a low light camera, I figure 2.8 is more valuable than the extra width... What do you think?

I think it will come down to what extra width vs low-light is worth to you.

You can also compromise your wallet instead and get the Laowa 7.5mm f2, but it's much more expensive!  The SLR Magic isn't a nice lens to use ergonomically, but it puts out a decent image so if you're shooting in slower more deliberate situations then that might not matter.

Also worth considering is the Panasonic 14mm f2.5.  It's nothing special, but it's similar to what you're talking about so just thought I'd bring it up in case it slipped your mind.

On 9/9/2019 at 8:56 PM, Cinegain said:

DZOfilm has announced two new MFT Cine lenses: 10-24mm and 20-70mm T2.9

http://en.dzofilm.com/https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8Cndtgz0OGPG_A1mfNuPpA/videos Interesting for sure. Guess after Veydra MFT cinelenses aren't quite dead yet!

-- Awh yeah, I thought DZO sounded familiar, they kinda showed it as a prototype during NAB earlier saying 'around $1700' (might go check em out on last day of IBC)

-- Speaking of lenses. Picked up the illusive Leica 10-25mm constant f/1.7 today for €1794,10 (bit of a deal, fresh on the market, normal/current retail: €1999), curious to try it out! Here's a good vid on that one:

How you finding the 10-25 1.7? Does it focus as well manually as the Sigma 18-35?

Edmika is not the most practical solution there is to getting an FD to eos conversion. Honestly the most practical solution to video is with a specialized video camera and lenses with autofocus and image stabilzation kind of like b4 lenses. Heck, not even using a canon dslr is even practical. Edmika is a solution, which can lead to some interesting results. Do research on the lens mount adapters by Edmika, and make sure there is a good amount of instruction on the lens and also that you know a lot about the lens distance from the camera, but I can assure you the product is real.

20190928_012424.jpg

18 hours ago, Thpriest said:

How you finding the 10-25 1.7? Does it focus as well manually as the Sigma 18-35?

It's smooth and works really well, much like the Olympus PRO integration, but the 'soft stops' are something to get used to, there's a slight feedback once you hit the stop and then by its focus by wire nature continues to turn (which luckily doesn't do a thing, but still; also, for focus pulling (repeatable) this will be messed up unfortunately). I have the 18-35mm f/1.8 in Nikon mount and I'd say it probably does manual focus just as well.

50 minutes ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

I noticed this picture of this stove top this morning, if you look closely you'll see a smile.

Don't know, more like a spot-on 'little baby Jesus' to me. It also kind of looks like... it could use a good rinse.

ok my tax return has come in. I have been looking at the zhongyi lens turbo 2.  I  cant remember who suggested it, was mostly i was interested because someone mentioned that the threading was a little deeper which allowed a wider range of lenses but that may have been for the m42 to mft mount. i would probably get the ef mount i think then adapt the lenses to that. Pretty confident that i have no issues with the m42 lenses that i have adapted so far to ef that i used with canon 60d previously. One  other thing that caught my attention was the fact that shooting into the sun or a lamp a blue flare will occur,  which is a problem considering that i'm actually after the flares and such for my anamorphic setup. Any advice, is it  going to be a real problem ?

Blue spot will occur if lens is shot to sunlight or lamp directly.  taken from the ebay listing. Thanks for any thoughts.

14 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

The Voightlander MFT lenses are very popular, but I never hear anyone talk about their other lenses.

Which of their range can be adapted to EF mount cameras, and are they worthwhile lenses?  I'm looking for a characterful and elegant rendering.  

i have no idea if voightlander are are available in ef mount. I presume since they are in mft mount then they are native lenses for smaller chip sizes. Ef is full frame is it not ? Hopefully someone can chime in and prove me wrong.

character and elegant rendering are two very subjective terms, what appeals to me and what appeals to you, can be very different things. If you haven't already you should make an effort to read the 248 pages on this thread plenty of advice  and pictures to help you.

If  you could tell us what you like to film then some of the others could point you in the right direction no doubt

Always heard nice things about the Age of Ultron 40mm f/2 (EOS EF/Nikon F). Here's uncle Ken on the subject: https://www.kenrockwell.com/voigtlander/40mm-f2.htm

There are also the Voigtländer SL-II N Color Skopar 28mm f/2.8 and SL-II APO-Lanthar 90mm f/3.5 (APS-C) in EOS EF-mount, but I don't think you should really bother (but you might want to look into the Nikon F mount's Voigtländer SL-II Nokton 58mm f/1.4 AI-s).

On 9/30/2019 at 7:36 AM, Mmmbeats said:

The Voigtlander MFT lenses are very popular, but I never hear anyone talk about their other lenses.

Which of their range can be adapted to EF mount cameras, and are they worthwhile lenses?  I'm looking for a characterful and elegant rendering.  

I've posted about them several times on this forum, but I have a full set of Voightlander SL lenses. 20mm 3.5, 28mm 2.8, 40mm f2, and 90mm 3.5. I've shot a entire short film on them.  I had the 58mm 1.4 but never used it because the rendering on it was very different than the rest. 

This was shot entirely with them on an NX1:

Shot with the 40mm on a D750 

Some recent stills:

40mm

voight 40mm_2.1.1.jpg

40mm

voight 40mm_1.1.1.jpg

20mm

voigtlander 20mm_1.5.1.jpg

28mm

voigtlander 28mm_1.15.1.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:29 PM, leslie said:

Blue spot will occur if lens is shot to sunlight or lamp directly.  taken from the ebay listing. Thanks for any thoughts.

Do any focal reducers NOT have a blue spot at all shooting into a bright light source?       I want  EF to E and FD to E focal reducers and preferably as cheap as possible and some of the use will be shooting towards stages that can have bright lights.    Any suggestions?    Will be getting both in the new year I think.

16 hours ago, leslie said:

i have no idea if voightlander are are available in ef mount. I presume since they are in mft mount then they are native lenses for smaller chip sizes. Ef is full frame is it not ? Hopefully someone can chime in and prove me wrong.

character and elegant rendering are two very subjective terms, what appeals to me and what appeals to you, can be very different things. If you haven't already you should make an effort to read the 248 pages on this thread plenty of advice  and pictures to help you.

If  you could tell us what you like to film then some of the others could point you in the right direction no doubt

Voigtlander makes a few different ranges of lenses.  This might help: https://www.voigtlaender.de/

3 hours ago, noone said:

Do any focal reducers NOT have a blue spot at all shooting into a bright light source?       I want  EF to E and FD to E focal reducers and preferably as cheap as possible and some of the use will be shooting towards stages that can have bright lights.    Any suggestions?    Will be getting both in the new year I think.

i googled it, found a few videos on it. Here is one vid that might give you some idea of how bad it is or whether you could live with it or not   https://youtu.be/uGLx5plyZg0 . Talk about the blue spot starts just after halfway. Since i plan on using it with anamorphic lenses i hope that it either gets hidden in the lens flares or compliments the lens flares but thats my enthusiastic newbie  attitude talking ? time will tell