Lenses

Andrew Reid

DZOfilm has announced two new MFT Cine lenses: 10-24mm and 20-70mm T2.9

http://en.dzofilm.com/https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8Cndtgz0OGPG_A1mfNuPpA/videos Interesting for sure. Guess after Veydra MFT cinelenses aren't quite dead yet!

-- Awh yeah, I thought DZO sounded familiar, they kinda showed it as a prototype during NAB earlier saying 'around $1700' (might go check em out on last day of IBC)

-- Speaking of lenses. Picked up the illusive Leica 10-25mm constant f/1.7 today for €1794,10 (bit of a deal, fresh on the market, normal/current retail: €1999), curious to try it out! Here's a good vid on that one:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

Tamron will announce the new 70-180mm f/2.8 FE zoom in October!

Honestly Tamron makes Sony so much more appealing to me. Previously I was put off by the price of the Sony lenses

This is why I sold my A7iii. I would go back to Sony if they would add a 10bit 422 option at the A7iii price point but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyone got Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM?

I just bought one second hand and the focus ring has an awful uneven plastic friction feel, notably worse than a couple of other similar lenses I got, such as 85mm F1.8 USM (best out of the three) and 28mm F1.8 USM (quite bad but still better).

And while we're it, any good third party lens hoods for Canon lenses?

12 minutes ago, zetty said:

Anyone got Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM?

I just bought one second hand and the focus ring has an awful uneven plastic friction feel, notably worse than a couple of other similar lenses I got, such as 85mm F1.8 USM (best out of the three) and 28mm F1.8 USM (quite bad but still better).

And while we're it, any good third party lens hoods for Canon lenses?

Unfortunately, they’re a crap shoot. The first 28mm 1.8 I had was in beautiful, new condition and the focus ring felt horrible. I eventually sold it and the next one I bought, was a little beat up but the focus ring was smooth as silk. That’s one of my favorite lenses of all time. 

The 50mm 1.4 I had was pretty good. 

When did this topic become a 'let's post a bunch of stills' one?

Like... elaborate lens tests and comparisons, awesome. Someone curious about a lens, sure support your argument for the lens by illustrating it with examples. But, maybe open an own topic for framedumps (which sounds like it would be a cool one) so we can keep somewhat of an overview here? jm2c

51 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

When did this topic become a 'let's post a bunch of stills' one?

Like... elaborate lens tests and comparisons, awesome. Someone curious about a lens, sure support your argument for the lens by illustrating it with examples. But, maybe open an own topic for framedumps (which sounds like it would be a cool one) so we can keep somewhat of an overview here? jm2c

Posting frame grabs makes sense to me as they're far less compressed than posting a YT or Vimeo video.  Posting stills is even better as it shows the capabilities of the lens in more detail.

There are other aspects to lenses, but surely seeing what the image looks like through them is a pretty big part of a lenses performance?

and if not, what else would you like to see that we're not talking about?

You just have to look through the topic's history. Start by page 1 if you will, lots of wisdom being exchanged (mostly due to Andy Lee). More discussion, actual in-depth lens tests, comparisons, recommendations, news... not just unsolicited dumps of random pics and framegrabs. If it comes up in discussion, sure, show and tell. But this topic is slowly turning into Flickr. I like Zach just fine, but maybe if you feel like sharing some of your work in the form of stills and grabs, we should have a topic just for that?

1 minute ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

I like showing off the pictures and videos from my camera and lens.

I mean, it's great proof that you're applying yourself and getting stuff done, so by all means, keep it up! ? But... for recognition, inspiration, feedback and likes... maybe it would be a pretty dope idea to have an own topic for such thing (suggested title 'Did you get your shot yet?' and tagline 'Be an inspiration! Post stills and framegrabs of stuff you're working on'). Of course and again, jm2c.

On 9/24/2019 at 6:27 AM, Cinegain said:

You just have to look through the topic's history. Start by page 1 if you will, lots of wisdom being exchanged (mostly due to Andy Lee). More discussion, actual in-depth lens tests, comparisons, recommendations, news... not just unsolicited dumps of random pics and framegrabs. If it comes up in discussion, sure, show and tell. But this topic is slowly turning into Flickr. I like Zach just fine, but maybe if you feel like sharing some of your work in the form of stills and grabs, we should have a topic just for that?

Since I am as guilty as Zach (more so even) I'd like to make a formal apology to your fingers to be forced to work a little harder, or maybe your eyes to witness my putrid images.

The rationale for posting frame grabs, or stills, is to show how these lenses work in the real world and to show other readers how they look in combination with different cameras. As much as I enjoy reading about lenses, the courier font doesn't completely express the qualities of a lens in a visual medium. And as awesome as a link to every single new lens that gets released, from every single Chinese optics company is, I'd prefer to see how your images look with said lens and whatever camera you use... then I could truly get an idea about the quality of the lens for my possible use.

I also think the lens section has been a little corner of this site where the technical merit of gear is put on the back burner for the optical and mechanical grace of manipulating light, so in that regard, I appreciate Geoff CB's and Noone's and Heartless's and BTM's and Kye's and Zach's, and etc... contributions as an artistic learning tool. But I learn more about a lens on Flickr than I do staring at a DXOmart chart... if you prefer charts and links, I again apologize.

However, what I find odd about your comment is... if you would rather discuss lenses in a different manner, I don't think anybody is stopping you from starting a discussion that interests you more. In fact, the lens section is my favorite place in the forum, so I'd be happy if there were more discussions.

Apology accepted. lol, nah of course non is needed and you well know it, c'mon now. ? And emphasis on 'jm2c' once more. The openingspost states 'discussion thread for all things lens related'. You can interpret that like me: that it's mainly about discussion or you can interpret it that you can post anything lens related... such as images shot with one.

Tbh, imho for one single individual shot you can make just about any lens look cool and interesting given the right circumstances... which doesn't necessarily tell me a whole lot about the lens itself and more about the shooter. Where I can draw conclusions from is when a direct comparison is being made in the exact same spot, same conditions, really getting a feel for how different lenses handle the exact same scenario. Which is why I liked Kye's most recent post! That really gives me something to go on!

Or atleast with some context to go with it. Like Zach's... so.... what am I looking at? So... this is a lens test? With a 'FD 35-105 F/3.5'. Mmmkai... do we have to guess the focal length and f-stop? Is it a riddle? Do I need to download the image and see if it's got some EXIF details? Maybe a hidden easter egg message? Just what are we looking for in this image? Sharpness? Bokeh character? Flare handling? Contrast? Chromatic aberration? What conclusion or further investigation do we want to follow from it? Or... is it just a cute cat pic you wanted to share? Like... with Andy Lee for example, we'd have discussions about micro contrast and low contrast looks and so on. And he gave me/us examples of that Tokina RMC which actually led me to buy one for myself. Now, cool shots are cool shots, no doubt, don't get me wrong, nice going, sick, dope! I would give 'em a hardy like on Flickr/IG. But without any real context, I'm not sure what I'm looking at/what to look for/do with/take away from it myself?

Anyways. This is allayalls place, I'm just passing through, so feel free to do as you please, I was just noticing a trend and thought that if there's an apparant urge to share, which is really cool that there is, because seeing one another's work is inspiring and really gives you an appreciation for the work they put in, maybe it can thrive as its own thing.

@Cinegain you make some valid points, but with all due respect, it seems like you’re still dictating what is, or isn’t, acceptable in an open lens thread.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m interested in almost anything lens related. For instance, Kye’s video link is sending me down a spiral of Canon FD lenses. Speaking of FD lenses, Zach’s contributions with his Canon FD 35-105mm f/3.5 lens, on a t2i, is actually very interesting since we already know that FD lenses don’t easily adapt to EF, so he must have had the mount modified. Your normal lens search would yield little results if searching for images or reviews of that lens on an older model Canon camera. And as a former t2i owner, I can easily ascertain how that lens would translate to other cameras.

With my lens tests, I purposefully use the same actor, in similar locations so I can weed out which lenses I want to keep or sell. I post a couple images from those tests hoping to get some insight from other members or perhaps supply some info to other people that may be wondering how that lens renders with ML Raw. I’m sorry if it isn’t your cup of tea, but it doesn’t mean it’s invaluable to someone else. Hell, without samples, I think a lot of us might not know about the Nikon Bourne Identity lens and how it looked on a G7 or how the Tokina Angenieux Zoom renders on the P4K.

But again, I look forward to your posts regarding topics you find interesting, even if I don’t find them as telling or useful to my work.

But I agree with the sentiment of your comment. It’s given me some food for thought on other ways to tackle my personal lens tests and if I do share any of them, I will try to include a little more pertinent information in future posts.