Lenses

Andrew Reid

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, kye said:

Have we seen test images and overall IQ?

No but have we seen the price of the Leica version ?

The 7Artisans is 3.5% of the price of it :)

Based on my experiences with the 50mm f1.1 and the 28mm f1.4 it will hopefully be decent enough for me at least.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, BTM_Pix said:

No but have we seen the price of the Leica version ?

The 7Artisans is 3.5% of the price of it :)

Based on my experiences with the 50mm f1.1 and the 28mm f1.4 it will hopefully be decent enough for me at least.

Price looks similar to Samyang 85/1.4 - any idea how they compare?

• Super Members
23 minutes ago, kye said:

Price looks similar to Samyang 85/1.4 - any idea how they compare?

By which I presume you mean "can you get the booze bottles out and do a comparison with your Samyang 85 f1.4 and the 7Artisans that we all know you will be too weak to resist buying when it arrives" ;)

Physically, its slightly smaller and about 20% lighter than the Samyang.

For using it on my SL, the overall dimensions will be much smaller as the L to M path adapter wise is much smaller than the L to EF path.

And its obviously a little bit faster but a little bit less reach.

27 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

By which I presume you mean "can you get the booze bottles out and do a comparison with your Samyang 85 f1.4 and the 7Artisans that we all know you will be too weak to resist buying when it arrives" ;)

Physically, its slightly smaller and about 20% lighter than the Samyang.

For using it on my SL, the overall dimensions will be much smaller as the L to M path adapter wise is much smaller than the L to EF path.

And its obviously a little bit faster but a little bit less reach.

Well, I wasn't thinking that, but since you're offering! ???

42 minutes ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Thanks, found it for 99 euro in good condition ?

Good deal. I had one a while ago to compliment my AT-X 24-40mm and they mixed perfectly together. I was using the 17mm for traditional wide angle establishing shots, so I stopped the lens down a bit but even wide open, it was pretty good. 

As I’m sure everybody knows by now, at the end of the shooting days, for my film, I get my lead actor to hang out a little while so I can test out a lens. I’m trying to have a lens or two for every one of my favorite focal lengths. The other day, after we filmed a scene, I wanted to give the Samyang 50mm 1.4 another chance and I’m glad I did. As BTM said a dozen times, Samyang lenses really pull more than their weight...

20C74083-E090-4B6E-BDF0-EC7095E47DB1.thumb.jpeg.eecffccf3d975f68c38fd18714324477.jpeg

5 hours ago, mercer said:

As I’m sure everybody knows by now, at the end of the shooting days, for my film, I get my lead actor to hang out a little while so I can test out a lens. I’m trying to have a lens or two for every one of my favorite focal lengths. The other day, after we filmed a scene, I wanted to give the Samyang 50mm 1.4 another chance and I’m glad I did. As BTM said a dozen times, Samyang lenses really pull more than their weight...

20C74083-E090-4B6E-BDF0-EC7095E47DB1.thumb.jpeg.eecffccf3d975f68c38fd18714324477.jpeg

That is probably the nicest frame you've posted so far...   I don't know how much is the lens and how much is composition, gesture/expression, lighting, or anything else, but that is truly well done!

16 minutes ago, kye said:

That is probably the nicest frame you've posted so far...   I don't know how much is the lens and how much is composition, gesture/expression, lighting, or anything else, but that is truly well done!

Thanks, Kye! I appreciate that. I know how important the details of an image means to you so I hold your opinion with high regard.

Btw, I think it may be all of the above but it looks like my 5 lens collection just turned into 6... damn. 

44 minutes ago, mercer said:

Thanks, Kye! I appreciate that. I know how important the details of an image means to you so I hold your opinion with high regard.

Btw, I think it may be all of the above but it looks like my 5 lens collection just turned into 6... damn. 

LOL, sorry!

I should also add that I really like the tonality.  I can't remember if I've said this before, but there's a certain look in B&W images where the tones have a kind of quality that makes them feel like they're colours, even though they're completely (mathematically!) monochrome.  I don't see colours in the images, so its not synaesthesia, but it's definitely something.  and this image has some of that going on :) 

2 hours ago, kye said:

indeed, if there was a mountain range in the background we'd have to start calling you ansel ?

Hi all,

I just noticed a little thing and I would like your advice (yeah, I just need to be reassured, I guess ?). I checked the mount of my new Canon 200 f2.8 ii L, that I use with my S1 and Sigma MC21 adapter, and I noticed a contactor is a little damage. There is a small plastic "ramp" in front of a contactor on the lens, that seems to guide the pins on the adapter side. It seems the pins have "dig" a bit in this ramp, to make their way, and scratch the contactor. I noticed this because I wanted to try an Irix 15mm lens, and I couldn't fully mount it (I did not try to force). By inspecting the Irix mount, the same plastic ramp was really damaged, even more than the Canon. Plus, there was a small golden debris lying around, indicating that the irix contactor has just been "dug". I then tried to mount again the Canon 200mm, and everything is fine, no debris, no further digging etc.
I also use a Samyang 20mm without electronic contactor, and, of course, no problem ! I have used the Canon for a week, and it works with no problem. Have you ever seen something like that, and do you think it would worsen with time, or lead to "contact" problems ? I suspect the mount tolerance is designed for Sigma lenses, and it may differ a bit from Regular Canon or other manufacturers... ?

Thank you !

Ps : this is a macro image... in reality, it is really less evident.

P1140247.JPG

11 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

Hi all,

I just noticed a little thing and I would like your advice (yeah, I just need to be reassured, I guess ?). I checked the mount of my new Canon 200 f2.8 ii L, that I use with my S1 and Sigma MC21 adapter, and I noticed a contactor is a little damage. There is a small plastic "ramp" in front of a contactor on the lens, that seems to guide the pins on the adapter side. It seems the pins have "dig" a bit in this ramp, to make their way, and scratch the contactor. I noticed this because I wanted to try an Irix 15mm lens, and I couldn't fully mount it (I did not try to force). By inspecting the Irix mount, the same plastic ramp was really damaged, even more than the Canon. Plus, there was a small golden debris lying around, indicating that the irix contactor has just been "dug". I then tried to mount again the Canon 200mm, and everything is fine, no debris, no further digging etc.
I also use a Samyang 20mm without electronic contactor, and, of course, no problem ! I have used the Canon for a week, and it works with no problem. Have you ever seen something like that, and do you think it would worsen with time, or lead to "contact" problems ? I suspect the mount tolerance is designed for Sigma lenses, and it may differ a bit from Regular Canon or other manufacturers... ?

Thank you !

Ps : this is a macro image... in reality, it is really less evident.

P1140247.JPG

that looks to be a fairly decent gouge. i guess theres some mount intolerance going on,  or maybe a pin or guide is the wrong hardness, if thats the correct wording. Id be a bit proactive and fire of a email the respective manufacturers letting them know whats happening. it may or may not be an issue. if something breaks later on or the contact wears down sufficiently you may lose functionality and be with out a camera or lens which could be a real bummer. not sure where you got the lens are you able to take it back to the retailer for them to inspect ? at least then you have covered your bases if there is an issue and or things do go pear shaped later.

20 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

talking about the tokina 17mm here is one still from the short i am shooting these days.

no grading yet. shot with the XT3 internal h265

vlcsnap-2019-08-21-12h12m00s412.jpg

i  hope you didn't just kill off the lead actress because that would make for a short short ?