Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
23 minutes ago, mercer said:

I don’t know, I’d still suggest the Cine version in EF if he wants a declicked aperture. I’ve had a couple of the M4/3 Cine lenses in the past and didn’t mind the geared focus ring when focusing by hand.

I don't mind them either and I think if you're going for a set then it makes a lot of sense, particularly as if you do end up using a follow focus system then it is far easier with having them all aligned.

28 minutes ago, mercer said:

The other option would be the Fotodiox Viselex adapter that has a built in variable ND filter... I assume Auto SS would work the same???

Yeah, if you don't want to speedboost them (and they are arguably fast enough and have decent enough wide options to not especially need to) then you can use the lens throttle and again, if you go for F mount stills versions, then you can use a very thin F to EF adapter on to it to get click less aperture control of the lens and variable ND behind it.

The only downside to the lens throttles is that there is no fully clear setting so you'll always have some ND in play which may be an issue in very low light but, again, these lenses are fast enough to mitigate it somewhat.

Yes, Auto SS and Auto ISO would still work.

• Super Members
28 minutes ago, mercer said:

I’m trying to figure out how, or if, non-ai Nikkor lenses can have their mount converted to EF?

Yeah, so this is weird.

I was going to say that I'm pretty sure people have modded them to be ai and that would one way forward and that I'd found you a tutorial video on YouTube of a guy doing it.

So, I was idly reading the comments, as you do, and lots of people were commenting about him being a murderer and I was thinking "well its an old lens and I can see why people might think its heresy to be messing with it but calling him a murderer is a bit over the top but hey this is YouTube so...".

Anyway, curiosity got the better of me and I googled his name and it turns out he's an actual serial killer.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yeah, so this is weird.

I was going to say that I'm pretty sure people have modded them to be ai and that would one way forward and that I'd found you a tutorial video on YouTube of a guy doing it.

So, I was idly reading the comments, as you do, and lots of people were commenting about him being a murderer and I was thinking "well its an old lens and I can see why people might think its heresy to be messing with it but calling him a murderer is a bit over the top but hey this is YouTube so...".

Anyway, curiosity got the better of me and I googled his name and it turns out he's an actual serial killer.

Hahahahahahaha... that may just be one of the funniest stories I've heard in a while. I even told it to my GF and now she wants to know the guy’s name because she watches all of those murder doc shows on TV.

• Super Members
42 minutes ago, mercer said:

Hahahahahahaha... that may just be one of the funniest stories I've heard in a while. I even told it to my GF and now she wants to know the guy’s name because she watches all of those murder doc shows on TV.

I don't want to put his name in case people googling him end up here !

If you put "Nikon 50mm 1.4 K Non-Ai to Ai Conversion" in YouTube you'll find him.

Tune in next week for "3D pop from Zeiss lenses - is it a myth?" with your host Ted Bundy.

14 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I don't want to put his name in case people googling him end up here !

If you put "Nikon 50mm 1.4 K Non-Ai to Ai Conversion" in YouTube you'll find him.

Tune in next week for "3D pop from Zeiss lenses - is it a myth?" with your host Ted Bundy.

Hahaha...

Leica Summicron... as sharp as a knife - subscribe to John Wayne Gacy 

Tasty Images with Jeffrey Dahmer

How to gut a lens that will not be blamed for nothing ... From Hell with Jack

looking for some feedback, my villtrox has turned up, had the pentax 85mm mounted to the villtrox which becomes a 170mm with the crop factor on the p4k add the villtrox with 0.71 and that brings it back to 120.7 mm if my math is right ?  

my real issue is i now want to get a nikon to ef adapter so that i can mount the tokina 28-70 to the villtrox. Since i know zip about nikon. Am i correct in assuming that nikon mounts whether ai,f,n except dx are the same mount with different functionality ?

as i understand it, I think i'm after a simple "dumb" adapter mount to get me from nikon to ef, not sure the electronics would talk to the pk4k through the villtrox either but i would be manual focus anyway. I have a Adapter for Nikon F AI lens to Canon EOS EF lined up for $10 just wanted to check first that was all

20 minutes ago, leslie said:

looking for some feedback, my villtrox has turned up, had the pentax 85mm mounted to the villtrox which becomes a 170mm with the crop factor on the p4k add the villtrox with 0.71 and that brings it back to 120.7 mm if my math is right ?  

my real issue is i now want to get a nikon to ef adapter so that i can mount the tokina 28-70 to the villtrox. Since i know zip about nikon. Am i correct in assuming that nikon mounts whether ai,f,n except dx are the same mount with different functionality ?

as i understand it, I think i'm after a simple "dumb" adapter mount to get me from nikon to ef, not sure the electronics would talk to the pk4k through the villtrox either but i would be manual focus anyway. I have a Adapter for Nikon F AI lens to Canon EOS EF lined up for $10 just wanted to check first that was all

Your math looks right, so 120 FF equivalent.

I think you're right about getting a dumb adapter.  the only challenge is lenses that don't have fully manual control - eg, some lenses have a focus ring (and a zoom ring) but won't have an aperture ring, so just make sure it's FULLY manual.

2 hours ago, kye said:

Your math looks right, so 120 FF equivalent.

I think you're right about getting a dumb adapter.  the only challenge is lenses that don't have fully manual control - eg, some lenses have a focus ring (and a zoom ring) but won't have an aperture ring, so just make sure it's FULLY manual.

don't worry already done my research on that aspect its the tokina 28-70mm in nikon mount its quite popular as its reportedly an Angénieux copy. i think only the nikon and pentax  versions have aperture rings the other versions are electronic. i guess i'll just buy the mount its only ten dollars

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, leslie said:

don't worry already done my research on that aspect its the tokina 28-70mm in nikon mount its quite popular as its reportedly an Angénieux copy. i think only the nikon and pentax  versions have aperture rings the other versions are electronic. i guess i'll just buy the mount its only ten dollars

I'd be inclined to splash out the extra few quid and get this type of one which also has an aperture control lever so you can use it with G type lenses as well.

1592020961_gtoef.thumb.jpg.3f5dfb1d3bf6ed4aa12577910f93b760.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gobe-Lens-Adapter-Compatible-F-mount/dp/B07587RDCP

16 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'd be inclined to splash out the extra few quid and get this type of one which also has an aperture control lever so you can use it with G type lenses as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gobe-Lens-Adapter-Compatible-F-mount/dp/B07587RDCP

er... your a couple of minutes late. I actually don't plan on buying any more nikon lenses, as heretical as that may sound.?

58 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Thats what I said.

In 1981.

Sorry to intrude, but to clarify about my non-ai question from the other day... do you think if I found a non-ai lens that was converted to ai, then the Leitax or Simmod Mount changes would work?

I wonder how hard it is to find the original ai conversion kits from Nikon. My 28mm f/2 H.C. is in mint condition but most adapters on non-ai lenses are sloppy.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, mercer said:

Sorry to intrude, but to clarify about my non-ai question from the other day... do you think if I found a non-ai lens that was converted to ai, then the Leitax or Simmod Mount changes would work?

I wonder how hard it is to find the original ai conversion kits from Nikon. My 28mm f/2 H.C. is in mint condition but most adapters on non-ai lenses are sloppy.

This would be a good resource to find out from I think.

He does proper conversions so you could have yours done without having to scour for a pre-converted lens.

http://aiconversions.com/index.html

I'd also ask Leitax the question that if you do get it converted would it then be possible to use their conversion kit.

If they say it is then I'd be tempted to ask the converter guy the question if you buy the Leitax kit could you send it to him and he does the whole job for you ?

Other than that, I guess you'd have to find one of these typical non-ai conversion experts to see what they think ;)

Randomly found this YT account while searching for lens tests.  There's an absolute TON of lenses tested here, and they look to be pretty high quality tests too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgV58jUJM2H7NprdO5118tQ/videos

The Anamorphic test has Master, Cooke, Todd, Hawk, Elite, Angenieux, Lomo, Cineovision, Kowa, P+S, Iscorama, Panavision, Atlas, etc...

The older one has Canon K-35, Cooke Speed Panchro, Kowa, Zeiss Master Prime, Zeiss Super Speeds, Leica R, Nikon AI-S....

15 hours ago, kye said:

Randomly found this YT account while searching for lens tests.  There's an absolute TON of lenses tested here, and they look to be pretty high quality tests too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgV58jUJM2H7NprdO5118tQ/videos

The Anamorphic test has Master, Cooke, Todd, Hawk, Elite, Angenieux, Lomo, Cineovision, Kowa, P+S, Iscorama, Panavision, Atlas, etc...

The older one has Canon K-35, Cooke Speed Panchro, Kowa, Zeiss Master Prime, Zeiss Super Speeds, Leica R, Nikon AI-S....

that covers pretty much everything i cant afford  ? 

On 10/14/2019 at 10:13 AM, leslie said:

that covers pretty much everything i cant afford  ? 

Oh, I don't know...  I'm sure there are lots of other exotics none of us can afford!!

In other news, this might be useful to some.

I really can't speak highly enough of the Takumars - if the focus ring went the right way then I'd be happily using them and scouring ebay for a set.  The image has that great balance of sharpness and contrast while still looking natural and cinematic.

4 hours ago, kye said:

I really can't speak highly enough of the Takumars - if the focus ring went the right way then I'd be happily using them and scouring ebay for a set.  The image has that great balance of sharpness and contrast while still looking natural and cinematic.

after the soviet challenge we may as well progress straight to the takumar challenge  ?

pentax.gif