Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Jimmy G said:

Nice find, kye, certainly made me homesick for upstate! :)

Regarding that footage...(amongst the numerous things I'm getting "familiar with" with my S1) I'm trying to work out the "where's" and "how far's" one can utilize the IBIS in the camera. There is a free-floating nature to how the imaging sensor is mounted in the body (whether one is using IBIS or not) and depending on user shake and/or pan speed and/or user jerkiness one can elicit unwanted (corner bouncing) image effects. One shot in particular jumped out at me here at the 3:49 mark (looking out of the lean-to)...

Hiking Alone in the Adirondack Wilderness - YouTube:

 

...where the frame corners sort of bounce around as the sensor seeks stasis. Clearly IBIS has some caveats (especially with FF sensor size) that I'm going to have to get "familiar with" and learn how to "work with", just another thing to learn with this particular body.

Though, if one could master evoking that effect I'll bet one could create a drunken-woozy slo-mo look to one's footage where needed, kind of like a "rotating a tilt-shift lens" effect only better since it would bounce around based on the physics of it! Ha! Oop, did I just give away a "killer idea"?! ;)

It’s worth noting that Kraig was using the sigma 14-24 f2.8 lens. There would be wobble on the wide end for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I picked up my S1H from the shop in the UK on Tuesday! I had ordered the S1 originally in late August, but the day after I heard that the S1H would be able to output Prores Raw and I changed the order straight away. I only have a set of Mamiya Sekor C 645 lenses and the Kipon Baveyes L-mount medium format speedbooster at the moment. These work really well with the IBIS, the stabilisation definitely isn't perfect at all but the movement feels fairly natural. 

I decided to shoot an unboxing video, the first time I've tried this! Also shot a little bit of footage but it was already nighttime so couldn't do much (jump to 02:50 for the test footage). That was shot in UHD 10-bit 422 All-I 25 fps, with the Mamiya 80mm f1.9 lens, at ISO 10,000. It's soft at f1.9 but stopping down improves things. Not sure if the speedbooster reduces sharpness too. Not sure I'll have time to shoot more any time soon as this arrived just when I'm very busy, but look forward to shooting more!

It's a heavy camera and does get a bit tiring if you need to hold it a long time, but it's not that bad!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No punch in to check focus while recording... is this acceptable for a 4000$ video (hybrid) camera? 

Are we suppose to trust that pulsing, outdated AF technology, with native glass and be done with it?

What's the point of having such a great EVF, and a fully articulated screen if you have to have an external monitor to make sure your focus is spot on? 



 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, just got my S1H yesterday and shot some test-footage this morning. I have to say, it is pretty eye-poppingly good. I am actually surprised at how good it is. The 6K is especially sharp and the 10-bit is as good as the 10-bit 4K on my EVA-1. Colors look wonderful. 

In general, the camera is pretty incredible. It is big because this thing is packed full of beautiful features. The top LCD screen is so nice to have, where you can monitor audio, all of your main settings, timecode, etc. The amount of codecs, frame rates, and features is really amazing. IBIS is as good as you'd expect from Panasonic - easily best in class. 

The focus peaking has been fixed for the S1 (where it would get less pronounced once you hit record). It now keeps its strength whether you are recording or not. That's a huge fix and welcome. Looking forward to setting up a shoot so I can shoot an entire video with the camera. 

I shot a bit of 6K this morning. Feel free to download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/40a70off03uacf4/S1H Test.mov?dl=0 - Shot in 10-bit 420 5.9k 24p, V-Log. Down-resed to DCI 4K in Premiere Pro. Graded with Varicam LUT, Aggressive 709 and then just some very minor adjustments on individual clips. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pedro said:

No punch in to check focus while recording... is this acceptable for a 4000$ video (hybrid) camera? 

Are we suppose to trust that pulsing, outdated AF technology, with native glass and be done with it?

What's the point of having such a great EVF, and a fully articulated screen if you have to have an external monitor to make sure your focus is spot on? 



 


 

Am so sorry Panasonic dint include this feature , can we still be friends ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jimmy G said:

Nice find, kye, certainly made me homesick for upstate! :)

Regarding that footage...(amongst the numerous things I'm getting "familiar with" with my S1) I'm trying to work out the "where's" and "how far's" one can utilize the IBIS in the camera. There is a free-floating nature to how the imaging sensor is mounted in the body (whether one is using IBIS or not) and depending on user shake and/or pan speed and/or user jerkiness one can elicit unwanted (corner bouncing) image effects. One shot in particular jumped out at me here at the 3:49 mark (looking out of the lean-to)...

...where the frame corners sort of bounce around as the sensor seeks stasis. Clearly IBIS has some caveats (especially with FF sensor size) that I'm going to have to get "familiar with" and learn how to "work with", just another thing to learn with this particular body.

Though, if one could master evoking that effect I'll bet one could create a drunken-woozy slo-mo look to one's footage where needed, kind of like a "rotating a tilt-shift lens" effect only better since it would bounce around based on the physics of it! Ha! Oop, did I just give away a "killer idea"?! ;)

Will this be solely the IBIS?  or is this from trying to stabilise it in post?  IIRC these stabilisation artefacts happen from the combination?

I wonder if there's a plugin that will be able to un-do these things?  It should be relatively easy as it's just parts of the frame stretching without other parts stretching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Vision said:

Guys any updates on Raw from atomos or Pana? 

 

Supposedly the 6K raw output from the S1H has a high probability of being 12-bit, or perhaps even higher, so those are going to be some pretty thicc, tastey files 👌🏻 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Parker said:

Supposedly the 6K raw output from the S1H has a high probability of being 12-bit, or perhaps even higher, so those are going to be some pretty thicc, tastey files 👌🏻 

Wow, 14-bit RAW 6K would be crazy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kye said:

Will this be solely the IBIS?  or is this from trying to stabilise it in post?  IIRC these stabilisation artefacts happen from the combination?

I wonder if there's a plugin that will be able to un-do these things?  It should be relatively easy as it's just parts of the frame stretching without other parts stretching.

That's 100% coming from IBIS working on an ultra wide angle shot. Same happens on the GH5 with a 7mm lens.

Once you go to like a 24mm FF equivalent it's fully gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

That's 100% coming from IBIS working on an ultra wide angle shot. Same happens on the GH5 with a 7mm lens.

Once you go to like a 24mm FF equivalent it's fully gone.

I have the same whobble with 24-105 on 24mm when you pan back and forward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2019 at 8:55 AM, Rinad Amir said:

Well here mine 😊

 

 

 

19 hours ago, omega1978 said:

I have the same whobble with 24-105 on 24mm when you pan back and forward

 

On 9/26/2019 at 8:56 AM, Alpicat said:

I picked up my S1H from the shop in the UK on Tuesday! I had ordered the S1 originally in late August, but the day after I heard that the S1H would be able to output Prores Raw and I changed the order straight away. I only have a set of Mamiya Sekor C 645 lenses and the Kipon Baveyes L-mount medium format speedbooster at the moment. These work really well with the IBIS, the stabilisation definitely isn't perfect at all but the movement feels fairly natural. 

I decided to shoot an unboxing video, the first time I've tried this! Also shot a little bit of footage but it was already nighttime so couldn't do much (jump to 02:50 for the test footage). That was shot in UHD 10-bit 422 All-I 25 fps, with the Mamiya 80mm f1.9 lens, at ISO 10,000. It's soft at f1.9 but stopping down improves things. Not sure if the speedbooster reduces sharpness too. Not sure I'll have time to shoot more any time soon as this arrived just when I'm very busy, but look forward to shooting more!

It's a heavy camera and does get a bit tiring if you need to hold it a long time, but it's not that bad!

 

Can one of you gents tell me if you can do S35 crop in anamorphic mode? 
Looking to do a project on Anamorphics but can't afford full frame glass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...