Jump to content
ntblowz

Panasonic FF L-mount Cine camera coming

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Check this out if you're a M43 shooter. I bought one and it works great, though I've been just using a regular adapter for a lot of stuff! 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F182232037366

I actually have a metabones one I used when I owned panasonic cameras. I switched to Fuji though and couldn't justify the price of another metabones. The cheaper adapters like the one you linked don't quite cut it for me. The difference between a roxen and a metabones probably isn't as big as I'd like to think though. The perfectionist in me is hard on the wallet sometimes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

It's not about card bandwidth (if that's what you mean), it's a heat and processing issue. A full sensor readout still has to read all the sensor pixels, even if it then downscales to 4k. So it would be reading 5.9k at 60 fps in order to get the full field of view. The camera probably does not have the capability to read the full sensor at 60 frames per second, either because the processor is too slow, or it generates too much heat.

To get a FF look, they'd have to bin or line skip to avoid reading 24MP at 60fps. So it's either keep the FOV and have binning artifacts, or crop and get fewer artifacts in the image.

True. However, it seems like it is still in development to some degree. Maybe they didn't show the vent because it isn't finalized? I mean if they haven't yet decided between FF or APS-C for 4k60, maybe they aren't sure how much heat it could generate as an end product either. Total speculation, really, but I guess we will have to wait for release to know for sure.

Of course I was just having a dumb moment! Do we know if they're still using the same Sony sensor as all the others?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DBounce said:

Some thoughts regarding the new body:

1. Cannot be weathersealed with the vent holes.

2. It's looking like there is a fan in there. 

3. No IBIS

Ah I see...

I have read on dvxuser that there will be IBIS and also weather sealing - that there will be passive cooling via a big heatsink. 

I don't think Panasonic have done themselves any favours by not getting out all the information out in a clear and concise way - leading to people making their own conclusions and passing them off as fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Not sure how you can weather seal something that has vents. 

you cant lol, thats why most  pro videographers own rain sleeves.

Also why Super 35 camcorders and cinema cameras are usually advertised as rugged and dust sealed but nothing in there states weather sealing.

Also unless your camera has an actual IPX rating ITS NOT WEATHER SEALED. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MeanRevert said:

First time I've seen that sample video and honestly, not that great.

But it has a flippy screen so you know.. Worth at least 1.5 stops Dr.. 

Why is it not that great? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Skip77 said:

You're the wife that says "hey honey I saved 80%" today and the alpha male says "but how much did you spend"? The S1 might be ok but it's like any of the new cameras with everyone questioning the roadmap and how long the will be around. Lens selection, AF performance are a few thing that come into question. Plus with the S1H you have to ask why? The S1 is $2,497 on BH right now.

If I go with Lumix and the S1 or S1H I want what's advertised and that is AF. No more GH5 AF garbage. 

Some people don't have a camcorder to trade in........how long have you worked for Panasonic Mr. Blue? 

In all my years at Panasonic, I shot with: Sony Betacam SP/SX/Digibeta, various DVCPROHD, Samsung NX1, Sony A99, Canon 5Dxxx, 7D, 60D, Panasonic GH3/4, Nikon Z6 and now the S1. Ya see there, junior, I’m what you hipster douchebags call “brand agnostic.”

And after many years restoring, wrenching on and roadracing formula cars and motorcycles (some of which I destroyed and sometimes walked away from,) few who know me think of me as the wife in your snotty, presumptuous and frankly obtuse little narrative about a stranger to you.

Go pay too much for an instantly obsolete EOS RP. The adults are trying to share vital information for their budget conscious peers who might be in the market JUST as an amazing camera (fuck the brand fanboy shit) happens to have heavy discount incentives.

Enjoy your crow. Bony going down, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Laser Blue said:

In all my years at Panasonic, I shot with: Sony Betacam SP/SX/Digibeta, various DVCPROHD, Samsung NX1, Sony A99, Canon 5Dxxx, 7D, 60D, Panasonic GH3/4, Nikon Z6 and now the S1. Ya see there, junior, I’m what you hipster douchebags call “brand agnostic.”

And after many years restoring, wrenching on and roadracing formula cars and motorcycles (some of which I destroyed and sometimes walked away from,) few who know me think of me as the wife in your snotty, presumptuous and frankly obtuse little narrative about a stranger to you.

Go pay too much for an instantly obsolete EOS RP. The adults are trying to share vital information for their budget conscious peers who might be in the market JUST as an amazing camera (fuck the brand fanboy shit) happens to have heavy discount incentives.

Enjoy your crow. Bony going down, no?

You absolutely come off as the girl in your comments about "2 S1 bodies, 2 firmware upgrades, 1 24-105 f/4, 1 extra camera battery, 1 S1 battery grip. Retail total $7123. My total $5044!" or you come off as a braggart.  

I never mentioned the EOS R in a positive light ever. I also never said one negative thing about the S1 or S1H, ever.  I'm all for progressing technology that helps everyone. 

I've never understood braggers that have to post about how much they spent on gear, good for you but no one cares about braggers. What's the crow I'm suppose to be eating? 

And again, how long have you worked for Panasonic ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ade towell said:

I don't think Panasonic have done themselves any favours by not getting out all the information out in a clear and concise way - leading to people making their own conclusions and passing them off as fact.

I actually agreed with one comment on newsshooter.com, where someone said that Panasonic may be holding their cards, close to their chest, with the S1H, because they would disclose other features, subject to the release of the A7siii or any other video-centric Mirrorless Cameras, expected to disrupt the video centric ILC market. 

4 hours ago, TheBoogieKnight said:

Of course I was just having a dumb moment! Do we know if they're still using the same Sony sensor as all the others?

Their silence, and non specific denial, probably means yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The great thing about the S1H and who it's target audience is that when real cinematographers get a hold of it they'll create great looking content. This only helps the S1H and it's marketing.  I've been waiting for people to do this with the Z6 but that's not happening until 12bit Raw comes out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Not sure how you can weather seal something that has vents. 

This design doesn't seem to be weather sealed, but theoretically if you have the vents pointed down then it would be difficult for water to get in there.  Kind of like how houses with roof tiles keep water out most of the time.

gb57-1.jpg

You can see on the diagram that the water that hits the outside of the tile would have to flow up the tile, then between them through that zigzag pathway to get over the top lip of the tile and into your ceiling.  This is why tiled roofs will often leak if there's a strong wind coming from one direction because it will push the water up the tile instead of allowing it to flow downwards.

If you have a camera with a convoluted ventilation pathway then you could keep most of the water out, even if there was a small amount of splashing upwards, however if you then put the wet camera down without keeping it upright then all the water clinging to the bottom would find its way inside, which is why they probably don't claim any waterproofing spec on electronics like this.

....  just so you know :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Skip77 said:

You absolutely come off as the girl in your comments about "2 S1 bodies, 2 firmware upgrades, 1 24-105 f/4, 1 extra camera battery, 1 S1 battery grip. Retail total $7123. My total $5044!" or you come off as a braggart.  

I never mentioned the EOS R in a positive light ever. I also never said one negative thing about the S1 or S1H, ever.  I'm all for progressing technology that helps everyone. 

I've never understood braggers that have to post about how much they spent on gear, good for you but no one cares about braggers. What's the crow I'm suppose to be eating? 

And again, how long have you worked for Panasonic ?

Using 'girl' or femaleness as an insult in this day and age really is quite pathetic.  Learn to 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The footage is well shot, lit, and graded, but am I the only one surprised at how soft it looks generally?  I know clinically sharp is not an ideal to chase anyway, but the majority of the footage on that compilation looks soft and mushy to my taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

The footage is well shot, lit, and graded, but am I the only one surprised at how soft it looks generally?  I know clinically sharp is not an ideal to chase anyway, but the majority of the footage on that compilation looks soft and mushy to my taste.

I’d bet that is due to the lenses. They shot this on Atlas anamorphic primes. Which imo are far from sharp. Indeed, Atlas states they were trying to achieve a vintage aesthetic with these lenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mmmbeats said:

The footage is well shot, lit, and graded, but am I the only one surprised at how soft it looks generally?  I know clinically sharp is not an ideal to chase anyway, but the majority of the footage on that compilation looks soft and mushy to my taste.

I noted the same immediately, there are even problems with slight defocusing. (Even nothing to say about choose of actors/dancers and coreography in comparison with some other promo clips, say for Eva 1.) For me, at the moment pretty disappointing, especially keeping in mind pompous advertising of cine dream result. Maybe interesting to remind for comparison

https://vimeo.com/234811303

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...