Panasonic FF L-mount Cine camera coming

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Unless it is the GH6 and somehow they're using the word 'cinema' in the marketing.  I guess with people complaining that the P4K has the same limitations every other cinema camera has people simply don't understand it anymore so maybe it's fair game?

Oh sure, I'm 2-weeks in with an S1/24-105 kit and the rumor mill is already alive with some newer gear?! Ha!

If true I hope it has a fully-articulating screen ala GH5/G9 etal, a full ±3 Diopter, audio for all high-speed frame-rates, and, most importantly, a global shutter...just a few key items missing on my new camera.

Oh yeah, if it turns out that the sensor exceeds the 33MP needed for 8K (like the S1R), at least incorporate an 8K (4320p) PHOTO mode...it would be real nice (and likely look a whole lot nicer, too) to lock down the camera, shoot a whole lot wider, and pan and zoom the frame for 4K, than to fight inertia with the camera/lens for sudden wildlife motion while watching the codec self-destruct into a juddery mess!

"Pretty please?!"

:)

I was more hoping for a small, $4k-ish MFT cinema camera, but this is the next best thing if it is actually a LUMIX product (and not the cinema department of Panasonic). My main goal is to have the same mounts across what are usually my three main cameras (a EVA/C200-like video camera, a mirrorless camera for gimbals and travel gigs, and a small little camera for taking photos out and about) - so I'd be super happy with the L-Mount doing this.

Seems hard to believe this will be something as simple as an S1s (an S1 with better video specs). The S1 is about to have 10-bit 4K, V-Log, rumored external raw, and already has incredible video image quality. I guess they could add 120fps in 4K, internal raw, internal NDs, but why would you buy an EVA-1 then?

My guess (though I hope not) is a Venice/C700 competitor: a full frame Varicam. And it will be $30k+. Probably with 8K capability in the future. Just ahead of the C300 Mark III and Sony's 8K move (which may also be May 31st).

--

But my HOPE is: A full-frame L-Mount camcorder in the spirit of the Sony VG-900 or Canon XC-15 - just a bit more set up for video use, 120fps in 4K, internal NDs (PLEEEAAASE), 12 megapixels, solid 10-bit codecs throughout, and some form of compressed raw either internal or external. $4-$6k.

We'll see! 

3 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

That's disappointing, I was really hoping it'd be a M43 camera (but was probably being naive to even think that.) 

Me as well.

Though, I do think that if you can put internal NDs into a GH6 and add in 4K 120fps and the low light capabilities of the GH5s, that would satisfy my MFT video needs - which I would use mainly for traveling jobs and times when I need to go super lightweight.

Full V-Log and internal/external raw would be nice as well. 

2 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

Me as well.

Though, I do think that if you can put internal NDs into a GH6 and add in 4K 120fps and the low light capabilities of the GH5s, that would satisfy my MFT video needs - which I would use mainly for traveling jobs and times when I need to go super lightweight.

Full V-Log and internal/external raw would be nice as well. 

Honestly for me, it wasn't even something that I was considering buying (unless it was a must get!) as much as wanting to see a sign that Panasonic is still invested and committed to M43. 

The LS300 still serves me well. And a GH6 has more appeal to me anyway. I just want re-assurance that they're committed to M43 because the G95 didn't set my world on fire and aside from the new lense its been pretty mum. 

This is out of the blue. Why would they wait to release a cine focused S1 full frame camera? I could see them offering a EVA2 Full frame L-mount, but that isn't in the LUMIX brand neither is the Varicam.

And is Sony launching the A7SIII and Panasonic had this camera on standby to compete?

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

The thing that amused me about this was these sites doing an official timed launch announcement for the release of a rumour.

I'm surprised they didn't live stream it.

20190522_214050.thumb.png.4395a47e8139f78a3fbc940c8505c5fd.png

Yeah the rumor sites sells itself to camera brands, I imagine, as free marketing for inside tidbits groomed for release.

My guess would be that they put the 6k IMX410 sensor from the from the S1 in a box with better processing power and maybe codecs they had to license (ProRes/ProRes RAW). Maybe similar to what Z Cam is trying to do with their full frame 6k camera but with an L mount instead of an EF mount. Add dual XLR and internal ND and it would be a very interesting camera if they can keep the costs at or below the EVA 1.

Why do this and hurt the EVA or the cine division?

I have an S1 with an EF adapter (waiting on 10 bit/vlog), but I would be worried if I was Panasonic about the whole L mount thing. They need to come out with a great L mount camera, just to make the whole alliance thing viable. If they were selling a ton of L mount cameras then developing lenses make sense, if no one is buying the cameras they might need to abandon the whole project. Which is why it might be coming from the Lumix division since their big picture might be lenses, where the video/cine division isn't focused on lens sales.

Panasonic has definitely been known to make bold moves compared to Canon, so maybe they will really go for it, so to speak.

I think the L-Mount needs a GREAT camera, a game-changing camera, to really push it forward. The E-Mount was very slow to take off as well with the VG900, original A7 line, and FS100/700 - some adopters but not a ton... but the A7s' low light abilities really made people take notice. And then the second generation cameras improved dramatically. The FS7 launch was also HUGE for Sony (4 years into the E-Mount's life).

Consider, in 2014 (5 YEARS AGO), the FS7 had 4K 10-bit 422, 60fps in 4K, 180fps in HD, and external raw. Canon still doesn't have much of that unless you're shooting raw on the C200 and Panasonic matched it with the EVA-1 just 2 years ago. The FS7 + A7s combo really pushed the E-Mount forward. 

We have been recycling the specs of the FS7 for 5-years in the under $10k field. 

So Panasonic does need that game-changing, 2019 L-Mount camera to push their new mount and direction forward. The S1 is amazing and will get even better with the coming firmware. But this cinema camera needs to be packed full at a price that is attainable (like the FS7 was). 

--

Then, Sigma needs to deliver a collection of f2 primes that aren't HUMONGOUS and expensive, like every L-Mount lens right now. 

--

EDIT:

Woah! So I guess it is an official LUMIX event: https://www.eoshd.com/2019/05/cine-gear-expo-reveals-new-cinema-lumix-camera-announcement-on-may-31/

So maybe we are looking at something more affordable and not from the high-end Panasonic cinema team (unless they are going to start branding everything LUMIX). 

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Who is going to upstage who?

The Sony event is most likely to do with the Venice line. 

The Panasonic event seems the more interesting of the two. Will we finally see that organic sensor that has been in development for more than five years? If we do that would be truly revolutionary. Let’s hope so???