Jump to content
ntblowz

Panasonic FF L-mount Cine camera coming

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

You literally ignored every thing I wrote, including examples, that show you're wrong. In fact, your entire argument, which I reiterate is dumb, has changed from "no one will use these cameras for professional productions" to "no one will use these as A cams." 

What does "bigger budget" even mean??? That's such a blanket statement. $2,000,000 is "bigger budget" work for a lot of people. 

All you need to do is go through Blackmagic's old press releases to see the projects that used the original pocket, since BMD promoted pretty much every project that uses a product of theirs, to see that these cameras get used on major projects, including on an Avengers film, A cam or not. 

Nope you're wrong again. My original comment was "If it's professional and matters and has a budget no way will the client be ok with the P4K as the A camera. You'll get laughed off the set by your hired guns on your crew."    

See the "no way will the client be ok with the P4K as the A camera."? Yeah I see it also. Go look it up in the post I made earlier. 

We are talking about the P4K and not any other BM product and not any other year. And the pocket cinema camera blown up in a truck is not your A cam or anything close to it. 

Go ahead an provide the list of top productions tv, commercial or movies that is using the P4K and back up your statement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Skip77 said:

Do us a favor: Put up a list of real productions that use the P4K and I'll give you all the credit in the world for backing up what you say

There's literally an entire section of the BMD site dedicated their press releases that discuss their cameras being used on projects. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Full frame GH5 equivalent, with ProResRaw to an external recorder. That's my thought. Much like the Nikon Z6 will have later this year (they say). With the Sony A7s III coming out it looks to be a good year for filmmakers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

Nope you're wrong again. My original comment was "If it's professional and matters and has a budget no way will the client be ok with the P4K as the A camera. You'll get laughed off the set by your hired guns on your crew."    

See the "no way will the client be ok with the P4K as the A camera."? Yeah I see it also. Go look it up in the post I made earlier. 

We are talking about the P4K and not any other BM product and not any other year. And the pocket cinema camera blown up in a truck is not your A cam or anything close to it. 

Go ahead an provide the list of top productions tv, commercial or movies that is using the P4K and back up your statement. 

Again, you only brought up "A-cam" in response to my original response, re: these cameras being used on professional productions. Literally no one has argued that it's being used as an A camera on projects. You're now just being willfully dishonest, adding qualifiers to your statement that weren't originally there. 

Given its still relatively new, and the time it takes for the information to get out, there's little info outside of what's on BMD's website, as far as the Pocket 4K is concerned. However here major productions that used the original Pocket, which was $999 (under your $1250 threshold):

Don’t Breathe (2016)

Jason Bourne (2016)

Avengers: Age of Ultron   (2015)

I imagine we'll see several films have been using the Pocket 4K before long. 

Not that any of this matters, given your arrogance and generally shitty attitude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

There's literally an entire section of the BMD site dedicated their press releases that discuss their cameras being used on projects. 

And no cameras are mentioned as being used in those productions.

“Siberia” DP Eric Koretz used a Micro Studio Camera 4K with a Video Assist 4K, as well as DaVinci Resolve and a DaVinci Resolve Micro Panel for testing different looks on-set;

 

You might want to read before you post. 

1 minute ago, newfoundmass said:

Again, you only brought up "A-cam" in response to my original response, re: these cameras being used on professional productions. Literally no one has argued that it's being used as an A camera on projects. You're now just being willfully dishonest, adding qualifiers to your statement that weren't originally there. 

Given its still relatively new, and the time it takes for the information to get out, there's little info outside of what's on BMD's website, as far as the Pocket 4K is concerned. However here major productions that used the original Pocket, which was $999 (under your $1250 threshold):

Don’t Breathe (2016)

Jason Bourne (2016)

Avengers: Age of Ultron   (2015)

I imagine we'll see several films have been using the Pocket 4K before long. 

Not that any of this matters, given your arrogance and generally shitty attitude. 

And for the 2nd time we are talking 2019 and the P4K.  

And nice to use the "give it time" card because we know how that works. 

You guys like to argue on both sides don't ya? 

The reason the P4K will not be used for a while is because of old timers that refuse to think out of the box. It's not the image quality of the P4K but the people in the industry that think old school and don't embrace new technology. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We rarely find out in real time what cameras are being used on major film projects. So yeah, it takes time to hear about it. Again though, I don't think you actually care, given your overall argument is dumb when you've got Soderbergh using iPhone's to shoot multiple features in 2019.

Perhaps @John Brawleycan share some info on the Pocket4K's usage, given I believe he has been using it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

We rarely find out in real time what cameras are being used on major film projects. So yeah, it takes time to hear about it. Again though, I don't think you actually care, given your overall argument is dumb when you've got Soderbergh using iPhone's to shoot multiple features in 2019.

Perhaps @John Brawleycan share some info on the Pocket4K's usage, given I believe he has been using it?

The P4K is great and I love the footage. You didn't read my comment that old timer cine guys don't buy into new gear like the P4K. That's the reason the P4K won't be used. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Skip77 said:

The reason the P4K will not be used for a while is because of old timers that refuse to think out of the box. It's not the image quality of the P4K but the people in the industry that think old school and don't embrace new technology. 

Well if you had spent the money to do this shit years ago you might have a different attitude. But it is changing, look at me. This stuff is free compared to when I was young. 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest rumor is the new camera will be bigger than the Panasonic S1.  If you add up the rumor "built like a tank", a new name Cine Lumix, and bigger than a S1, perhaps the new camera will have a different form. Maybe like Kinifinity, or EZ-CAM?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, KC Kelly said:

The latest rumor is the new camera will be bigger than the Panasonic S1.  If you add up the rumor "built like a tank", a new name Cine Lumix, and bigger than a S1, perhaps the new camera will have a different form. Maybe like Kinifinity, or EZ-CAM?

I'm on the same page with you. I don't think this is going to be S1 type camera. I'm thinking closer to Canon XC15 form factor. I'm not sure this will be a stills camera at all?

 

D7Vl41-X4AAlrt1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KC Kelly said:

The latest rumor is the new camera will be bigger than the Panasonic S1.  If you add up the rumor "built like a tank", a new name Cine Lumix, and bigger than a S1, perhaps the new camera will have a different form. Maybe like Kinifinity, or EZ-CAM?

What I'm hoping for here is that they've added to the thickness of the S1 size to accommodate better thermal control while still maintaining IBIS (like should have been done on GH5S, IMHO) while allowing for a fully-articulated screen that doesn't bump into the HDMI or headphone cables (it would be great to be able to monitor from the left side and front of my S1!). Also, it would be nice if the EVF housing protruded a wee bit more off the back vs my S1, too (for those of us with bigger than average honkers).

Alternately, I'm thinking it just might turn out to be a 1DX-style camera with built in grip to handle an extra battery. We'll find out soon enough. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rumor at L-rumors.com says slightly bigger than S1/S1R to control heat dissipation. Maybe use the current sound attachment as GH5/S1.  I'm not to keen to have something like a battery grip, or the Gh4 sound gizmo attached to the base. My guess is less capabilities than the EVA-1, but slightly more expensive than S1.  It will be interesting to see what comes out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jimmy G said:

What I'm hoping for here is that they've added to the thickness of the S1 size to accommodate better thermal control while still maintaining IBIS (like should have been done on GH5S, IMHO)

GH5S has a larger sensor and uses every bit of the MFT image circle. There has to be some leeway in the image circle otherwise the IBIS will cause vignetting during heavy correction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DBounce said:

I'm on the same page with you. I don't think this is going to be S1 type camera. I'm thinking closer to Canon XC15 form factor. I'm not sure this will be a stills camera at all?

Agreed that this may not be any type of photo camera (or at least not any different than the way something like the BMPCC4K is (it can take a still).

So a camera that is slightly bigger than the S1 and is built like a tank. My hope is that that means it will have more room and heat dissipation for:

- Internal NDs (PLEASE)
- Internal robust codecs (compressed raw or H265/4 ALL-I)
- 120fps 4K (maybe in burst mode?)
- Dual ISO
- 10-12 megapixels

The lowlight, image, and just generally everything of the S1 is so impressive even before the V-Log/10-bit update, that this camera really must have some tricks up its sleeve to be worth even making it. Being slightly better at 25,600 ISO doesn't mean anything when I rarely go above 6400 (where the S1 is already super clean)...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 2:01 AM, currensheldon said:

My guess (though I hope not) is a Venice/C700 competitor: a full frame Varicam. And it will be $30k+. Probably with 8K capability in the future. Just ahead of the C300 Mark III and Sony's 8K move (which may also be May 31st).


This wouldn't be branded as "LUMIX"

However the original Varicam S35 did come out a fair few years ago, might be time it is updated?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Hope they don't leave out IBIS like they did with the GH5S.

The rumored larger body might allow this. They had to have heard the feedback about the GH5S. Everybody wanted the lowlight ability but with IBIS, like the GH5. It’s being marketed as a Cine camera though not a hybrid and that mostly likely means no IBIS.

Regardless, this is a very exciting product announcement!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 3:17 AM, currensheldon said:

Panasonic has definitely been known to make bold moves compared to Canon, so maybe they will really go for it, so to speak.

I think the L-Mount needs a GREAT camera, a game-changing camera, to really push it forward. The E-Mount was very slow to take off as well with the VG900, original A7 line, and FS100/700 - some adopters but not a ton... but the A7s' low light abilities really made people take notice. And then the second generation cameras improved dramatically. The FS7 launch was also HUGE for Sony (4 years into the E-Mount's life).

Consider, in 2014 (5 YEARS AGO), the FS7 had 4K 10-bit 422, 60fps in 4K, 180fps in HD, and external raw. Canon still doesn't have much of that unless you're shooting raw on the C200 and Panasonic matched it with the EVA-1 just 2 years ago. The FS7 + A7s combo really pushed the E-Mount forward. 

We have been recycling the specs of the FS7 for 5-years in the under $10k field. 


The Sony FS700 was a popular camera for its time. 
The FS700 was the #1 choice by far for low budget super slow motion filming. 
And the FS700 was the #2 choice behind the C300 mk1 for a low/mid ish budget camera for general purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...