Davinci Resolve 16

SR

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is a complete suite of applications that a professional content creator can use, and is given to us for free when buying some of their product's.

How amazing is this??!!

In my opinion, this fact gives so much value to products like the P4K, that is both unprecedented and even unbelievable!

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Truth is I am still using Premiere, even though is TOO expensive and the bugs are unbearable and I have left Final Cut for good for almost a decade now.

I am looking forward to this new update.

Why haven't you made the jump to Resolve yet?

10 minutes ago, SR said:

Why haven't you made the jump to Resolve yet?

My workflow is based on decades of Premiere (and old Final Cut) use. 

I am not that productive with Resolve yet, and when I tried 14 for the first time it wasn't a hassle free experience.

15 seems a lot better, but haven't try a project yet, but after I am finishing a couple that I have already begun on Premiere, I am going Resolve and hope its for good.

25 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

My workflow is based on decades of Premiere (and old Final Cut) use. 

I am not that productive with Resolve yet, and when I tried 14 for the first time it wasn't a hassle free experience.

15 seems a lot better, but haven't try a project yet, but after I am finishing a couple that I have already begun on Premiere, I am going Resolve and hope its for good.

You probably already know this but there are present keyboard shortcuts for people used to the other NLEs that might be useful.

Not saying there aren't other significant differences, but every bit helps..

Resolve 16 slogan is "the revolution in editing starts..."

IMHO it started with Resolve 15.3 (now the audio editing is pretty much usable). But hey, if they took it up a notch - fantastic!

At least now I can pretty much finish a project with audio and all in Resolve 15.3 - that is a revolution for my work flow.

I would like see the something like what adobe has with a brainstorming clip based media organization tool that lets you output to timeline as well as the contextual erase functionality of after effects.

Looks like I will be downloading 15.3.1 this weekend for hopefully more stability enhancements and bug fixes.

For me the absolute biggest problem with resolve hits me right at startup, it's their database method of file organization. This absolutely kills me. My mind just does not think in those terms and I like to create folders that contain my project files and assets and organize them in such a way and so on.

Is there anyone else like me who is used to the premiere or old school Final Cut Pro way of project file organization who has found a workaround for this with resolve? In other words I like to have a hard drive for every project. On that hard drive I have a folder for project files, one for assets, one for exports, and so on. I love the system because I can take that hard drive from one computer to the next and open the project like I never left it. Resolve puts me in a box to have all my project files on one hard drive and I really just don't think that way. I know you can export a database or something when you're all done with the project but again that's not how I work. I take the project from machine to machine that are not all connected to some big server or whatever.

Again, is there anyone who does organizes their projects like I do that has found a workaround?

11 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

For me the absolute biggest problem with resolve hits me right at startup, it's their database method of file organization. This absolutely kills me. My mind just does not think in those terms and I like to create folders that contain my project files and assets and organize them in such a way and so on.

Is there anyone else like me who is used to the premiere or old school Final Cut Pro way of project file organization who has found a workaround for this with resolve? In other words I like to have a hard drive for every project. On that hard drive I have a folder for project files, one for assets, one for exports, and so on. I love the system because I can take that hard drive from one computer to the next and open the project like I never left it. Resolve puts me in a box to have all my project files on one hard drive and I really just don't think that way. I know you can export a database or something when you're all done with the project but again that's not how I work. I take the project from machine to machine that are not all connected to some big server or whatever.

Again, is there anyone who does organizes their projects like I do that has found a workaround?

I am in the same boat Jonesy. Resolve has some great features. But it seems all of my actual paying projects I do in Adobe because of the file organization, and the ease of editing.

Someday I hope to fully transition over.

1 hour ago, Jonesy Jones said:

True. I've only ever played around with Resolve, but I want my in-project file structure to look EXACTLY like it does on my drive. Not possible to this on Resolve?

Also agree with the nodes. I do basic color correction and can do it pretty quickly with Adobe's adjustment layers + lumetri color panels. 

--

Other than those two, which are pretty big for me, I find Resolve to be faster and much less buggy/crashy. But not sure I'll switch because so many editors use Premiere and sometimes need to share projects back and forth.

17 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

True. I've only ever played around with Resolve, but I want my in-project file structure to look EXACTLY like it does on my drive. Not possible to this on Resolve?

Also agree with the nodes. I do basic color correction and can do it pretty quickly with Adobe's adjustment layers + lumetri color panels. 

--

Other than those two, which are pretty big for me, I find Resolve to be faster and much less buggy/crashy. But not sure I'll switch because so many editors use Premiere and sometimes need to share projects back and forth.

Node based workflows are superior to layers and lumetri by a long shot. That feature is one of the biggest and best that DaVinci offers. I used to think otherwise when I was using Adobe alot, but I can not work any other way.

29 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

I'm a photographer by trade, so nodes seemed intimidating at first, but nothing you can't get over with an hour of mucking around and tutorials. In fact, I find Resolve much more logical and just plain wonderful when color grading, even if Premiere does seem simpler at first. There's a reason why so many Hollywood films are graded in Resolve.

As someone who's recently moved from premiere, I agree with previous posters about premiere's strength in organization. There's a little bit of a learning curve moving to resolve's color panels but once you get some time in your belt, I think it's a far more intuitive approach using nodes vs layers. 

If I were Adobe, I'd be worried.