Jump to content

Panasonic GH6 rumours


kye
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

This is kinda what Panasonic has done for awhile now. Especially with the GH5.

This maybe brings clarity to the G9 firmware bomb they dropped.

Yes, fingers crossed that Panasonic brings this attitude to all their new cameras, even their lowly GXxxx series of cameras!
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

So, anything on the GH6? NAB is April 18-22, are we going to see it then? Or Photokina in May? Though I think NAB‘a a much better audience for this camera, especially if Panasonic gives it all the bells and whistles. 
 

Also, with the E-M1.3 failing to deliver a new sensor, what are the odds Panasonic will come through with the rumoured ~40mp one?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now that the XT4 has been announced with IBIS, a much larger battery and 240fps, its probably time for Panasonic to start its roadmap for all the GH6 features. 

The promised EOS R5 8k Canon camera will probably cost a kidney or 2, and the A7siii will probably take another year to even materialise. The 1DX iii is not in the price bracket or even capabilities of the GH line or even M43 in general. But Panasonic can throw a wrench in the works, by creating a codec which isn't RAW, but is seriously punishable in post and handles highlights and shadows extremely well.

I believe I figured a way for Panasonic to outwit larger sensor cameras. Maybe it's not safe to post it here, considering the open plagiarism and Patent office and court manipulation that red is infamous for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yosuke Yamane has said there won’t be 8K soon from Panasonic, wether that means this year or not until after the Olympics.

I believe the only contenders for 4:3 STARVIS sensors that @androidlad has hinted at is a ~42 MP sensor and a ~54 MP (quad-bayer design?).

With the Covid-19 heavily affecting production of parts and supply in most manufacturing sectors, I feel like we will get an announcement but may have a much later launch.

When you look at the GH5 today, a 2017 camera, I find it absolutely amazing it’s still a top tier camera.

5K open gate, 6K anamorphic, 4K60p, 10-bit 4:2:2 internal, unlimited recording, waveforms, great audio, dual UHS-II slots, 400Mbit All-I,  built-in time-lapse, and the list goes on! Even a fucking stop motion mode!

Hopefully Panasonic continues the legacy and truly gives us something special. I love MFT and as you can see, it makes trades offs that give us all of the above I listed in a weather sealed, relatively compact, workhorse of a camera.

Meanwhile Sony users are STILL waiting for 10-bit in a A7 body...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Hopefully Panasonic continues the legacy and truly gives us something special. I love MFT and as you can see, it makes trades offs that give us all of the above I listed in a weather sealed, relatively compact, workhorse of a camera.

Plus it's great for low light - with f0.95 lenses we get exposure around T1.0 but DoF at FF equivalent of F2 which is much easier to maintain focus.

I'm not attached to MFT but that one is a pretty significant aspect to get past.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly Panasonic could take the GH5, slap PDAF into it and they'd sell a shit ton. 

While I'm not one to complain much about auto focus, I think there's a good chance that Panasonic would've killed all the other crop sensor cameras if they'd had PDAF for the GH5, particularly among the influencer/YouTube crowd. While many went with the A7 III, a significant number went the a6xxx route even though they're inferior cameras in every other way but auto focus and low light. While it's not a deal breaker for me, their auto focus obsession hooked them into Sony. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Origami101 said:

So, anything on the GH6? NAB is April 18-22, are we going to see it then? Or Photokina in May? Though I think NAB‘a a much better audience for this camera, especially if Panasonic gives it all the bells and whistles. 

I wonder if Coronavirus might kill the chances of some announcements happening at NAB this year  :-/ 

 

11 hours ago, sanveer said:

and the A7siii will probably take another year to even materialise.

Or ten years...!

 

  

11 hours ago, sanveer said:

I believe I figured a way for Panasonic to outwit larger sensor cameras. Maybe it's not safe to post it here, considering the open plagiarism and Patent office and court manipulation that red is infamous for. 



Oh do please share! 😉

(would count as "prior art", thus if someone did try to patent it, this forum thread could help strike it down!)

 

  

11 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Meanwhile Sony users are STILL waiting for 10-bit in a A7 body...



Something to write on their tombstone?

 

  

10 hours ago, kye said:

Plus it's great for low light - with f0.95 lenses we get exposure around T1.0 but DoF at FF equivalent of F2 which is much easier to maintain focus.

I'm not attached to MFT but that one is a pretty significant aspect to get past.



True! So many people think of MFT's sensor size as a "disadvantage", yet at times it is an ADVANTAGE 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I wonder if Coronavirus might kill the chances of some announcements happening at NAB this year  😕

 

Or ten years...!

 

  



Oh do please share! 😉

(would count as "prior art", thus if someone did try to patent it, this forum thread could help strike it down!)

 

  



Something to write on their tombstone?

 

  



True! So many people think of MFT's sensor size as a "disadvantage", yet at times it is an ADVANTAGE 

The only advantage is a small overall camera size. I’d rather have a FF with better signal to noise, higer dynamic range etc.
Regardig DoF, the problem is in the lenses. If f/1.2 lens had a round aperture there shouldn’t be an issue at all, one could close it to f/4, f/5.6 and get that “deep” DoF.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mirekti said:

The only advantage is a small overall camera size. I’d rather have a FF with better signal to noise, higer dynamic range etc.
Regardig DoF, the problem is in the lenses. If f/1.2 lens had a round aperture there shouldn’t be an issue at all, one could close it to f/4, f/5.6 and get that “deep” DoF.

But they lose the light...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Oh do please share! 😉

(would count as "prior art", thus if someone did try to patent it, this forum thread could help strike it down!)

Hahaha. Prior art doesn't seem to have helped people fighting the red menace. I doubt it works in genuine cases in the US.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, as posted elsewhere I'd like to see: Panasonic going back to a single flagship in the GH-model like it always was before splitting it up and launching the G9 and GH5S. Just give me a G9 type of body with huge EVF and top LCD. Dual native ISO tech from the GH5S, but with IBIS of course. Would be great if they could do what JVC did with the GY-LS300 and do the trick thing where they had an APS-C sensor behind the MFT mount. If they could do the Olympus thing and actually use phase detect autofocus. Depth from de-focus is a nice additional method, but it should never be the main method of focus, it was just betting on a wrong horse. They should come to their senses already and like everyone else do phase detect AF already. And then take some things from Blackmagic, like the simplified interface. Internal ProRes recordings.

Weird is, they've kept people teased and informed about the GH5 way before it actually shipped. What it would do... what later firmware would give it etc. Now it's just nothingness. And with their recent past with a bit lacklustre updates... and Olympus not really stepping up big time either, you'd begin to wonder if it's the start of the end for MFT. Certainly hope not and that the GH6 will be a monster! We need to, I have a shit ton of lenses in native MFT mount. Stuff like from Vazen and DZOFILM even is exclusive to it. So... fingers crossed. 🤞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mirekti said:

The only advantage is a small overall camera size. I’d rather have a FF with better signal to noise, higer dynamic range etc.
Regardig DoF, the problem is in the lenses. If f/1.2 lens had a round aperture there shouldn’t be an issue at all, one could close it to f/4, f/5.6 and get that “deep” DoF.

"The only advantage" isn't overall camera size though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

But they lose the light...

What loses light, FF when stopped down? That's true, but I'd say you end up with more or less the same IQ. I didn't do the comparison directly so I can assume you're right, but I wouldn't think the difference would be significant.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Yeah, as posted elsewhere I'd like to see: Panasonic going back to a single flagship in the GH-model like it always was before splitting it up and launching the G9 and GH5S. Just give me a G9 type of body with huge EVF and top LCD. Dual native ISO tech from the GH5S, but with IBIS of course. Would be great if they could do what JVC did with the GY-LS300 and do the trick thing where they had an APS-C sensor behind the MFT mount. If they could do the Olympus thing and actually use phase detect autofocus. Depth from de-focus is a nice additional method, but it should never be the main method of focus, it was just betting on a wrong horse. They should come to their senses already and like everyone else do phase detect AF already. And then take some things from Blackmagic, like the simplified interface. Internal ProRes recordings.

Weird is, they've kept people teased and informed about the GH5 way before it actually shipped. What it would do... what later firmware would give it etc. Now it's just nothingness. And with their recent past with a bit lacklustre updates... and Olympus not really stepping up big time either, you'd begin to wonder if it's the start of the end for MFT. Certainly hope not and that the GH6 will be a monster! We need to, I have a shit ton of lenses in native MFT mount. Stuff like from Vazen and DZOFILM even is exclusive to it. So... fingers crossed. 🤞

Depth from de-focus is the future, it's just not ready yet.  

I've said it before, but there's a few different elements to AF - one is focusing and another is working out what to focus on, de-focus is image analysis which will do both when it's finished, but PDAF only does the first one.  Having a system that flawlessly focuses on the wrong thing is of no use at all, and when Panasonic get this thing right (which will take a long time) everyone else will still be talking about how their cameras can focus on the retina perfectly, meanwhile professional cinematographers will still be using focus pullers because focusing on the retina of the wrong person in a shot is of no value whatsoever.

There's very little difference between analysing an image with AI to work out what to focus on (which is what they're doing now) and doing image analysis that includes looking at who is moving their lips and who isn't to choose who to focus on, which is actually something of value.

43 minutes ago, mirekti said:

What are the other advantages, please? Rolling shutter is just a matter of time. 

You obviously didn't read my post, so I'll quote it again for you....

On 2/28/2020 at 7:57 AM, kye said:

Plus it's great for low light - with f0.95 lenses we get exposure around T1.0 but DoF at FF equivalent of F2 which is much easier to maintain focus.

I'm not attached to MFT but that one is a pretty significant aspect to get past.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mirekti said:

What are the other advantages, please? Rolling shutter is just a matter of time. 

Aside from what Kye said? Image stabilization, rolling shutter, lens adaptability/versatility, price, and the speed of innovation (that there STILL isn't a camera in this price range that can match all of the GH5's specs 3 years later is wild). 

OH, and the smaller cameras and lenses. 😉 Have you ever snuck into someplace you're not supposed to have a professional camera? With the GH5 and the 35-100mm f/2.8 I've gotten into festivals and sporting events that strictly forbid such things and gotten incredible footage. Try doing that with a full frame camera and any of the popular 70-200mm lenses. 😎

Or as Emily from Micro Four Nerds showed: 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...