Canon EOS RP specs leaked, features 26MP sensor and 4K video

Andrew Reid

29 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Pretty interesting that so many thought a cheap entry level camera would be more featured than the more expensive mid tier.

I think it just shows, how much they crippled the Eos R to begin with. Of course there were some hoping the cheaper model would do better, but I think expectations were low on this model overall. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have a need for a small Vlogging style and stills camera with an EF mount, and I was interested until I saw this:

No DPAF in 4k. 

Again and again, Canon leave out great features that really SHOULD be included and break the deal. People seem to be celebrating this model but to me, it's the same old crippled Canon. 

I feel Fujifilm are fast becoming the go-to option in this market (with an aggressive X-T30 release) and with the expectations of the XH-2, I feel they will be the closest ever to the perfect hybrid. Who would of thought it would be Fuji!!?

46 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Pretty interesting that so many thought a cheap entry level camera would be more featured than the more expensive mid tier.

Going by Canon's reputation, they've been said not to include (bleeding edge) half-baked features, like Sony would for example, just because they release things when they are robust and reliable. But having 4K without DPAF and severe crop is just that, half-baked.

The intended customers would not even flinch if 4K wouldn't even be there in the first place, so maybe they just get a kick out of teasing rumor sites and people who have not lost hope of Canon ever changing.

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

To be fair, it wouldn't be completely without precedent, seeing how the Z6 and A7iii are both cheaper than the Z7 and A7Riii (even if they're not really entry-level per se) and generally regarded as better video cameras. And honestly, the EOS R already set the bar so low that just the smaller crop factor and more classic-style controls would have been a big improvement; it's just a shame that Canon crippled it in so many other ways.

PAL movie settings:

4K (16:9) 3840 x 2160 (25, 23.98 fps) intra frame 7 
4K Time-lapse (16:9) 3840 x 2160 (29.97, 25 fps) All-I 
Full HD (16:9) 1920 x 1080 (59.94, 50, 29.97, 25 fps) intra frame, intra frame lite (29.97, 25 fps) 

NTSC movie settings:

4K 3840 x 2160: 23.98fps
Full HD 1920 x 1080: 59.94fps/29.97fps

HD 1280 x 720: 59.94fps/29.97fps

?

• Super Members

Canon does what Canon does. Vote with your wallet, that's what I do.

Until the competition can release a FF camera, with in body IS, no RS, no overheat, a lens line that matches EF, good stills performance, top display, tilt screen, good battery, nice colors, crisp HD, optional log and good audio, my money is safe with Canon for pro video and still photography.

For hobby use I can think of at least 50 cameras I would enjoy more. Currently I'm back with good old Pentax. Makes even Sony look like the most conservative company out there ;)

Of the two, the EOS R simply looks much more appealing for photo/video with the feature set it offers, it just needs to come down in price. Maybe I haven't seen enough (and I hope that I am wrong), but it looks like the RP 1080p video is still only at the 6D II level.

As a compact stills camera though (or maybe as a backup manual focus 4k camera on sticks), its seems decently designed, and its price point seems to make Sony zealots a bit more anxious than usual :)

36 minutes ago, Django said:

PAL movie settings:

4K (16:9) 3840 x 2160 (25, 23.98 fps) intra frame 7 
4K Time-lapse (16:9) 3840 x 2160 (29.97, 25 fps) All-I 
Full HD (16:9) 1920 x 1080 (59.94, 50, 29.97, 25 fps) intra frame, intra frame lite (29.97, 25 fps) 

NTSC movie settings:

4K 3840 x 2160: 23.98fps
Full HD 1920 x 1080: 59.94fps/29.97fps

HD 1280 x 720: 59.94fps/29.97fps

?

Maybe the CPU is so weak it cannot do 30p.

Will Canon EVER figure out how to oversample a sensor, deBayer and downsample it to 4k? My God,...how long has Sony been doing their full pixel readout now? The GH5 (Sony IMX272) does a 5k full pixel readout too.

I guess Canon will need to buy Sony sensors to do this? Until then, Canon is still stuck in crude RGGB 1:1 deBayer land.

2 minutes ago, Cliff Totten said:

Will Canon EVER figure out how to oversample a sensor, deBayer and downsample it to 4k? My God,...how long has Sony been doing their full pixel readout now? The GH5 (Sony IMX272) does a 5k full pixel readout too.

I guess Canon will need to buy Sony sensors to do this? Until then, Canon is still stuck in crude RGGB 1:1 deBayer land.

It makes no sense at all, even if heat is not a problem, the readout is already much slower on the sensor itself, it could break new records for jelloing.

But the 1DX II sensor has a pretty decent readout, so it is not like that they are way behind in technology, you just have to pay much more for it or pay less and get an inferior sensor like this.

And you could say the same for "When Panasonic figures out AF, why the colors don't look nearly as good" etc. etc.

18 minutes ago, padam said:

It makes no sense at all, even if heat is not a problem, the readout is already much slower on the sensor itself, it could break new records for jelloing.

But the 1DX II sensor has a pretty decent readout, so it is not like that they are way behind in technology, you just have to pay much more for it or pay less and get an inferior sensor like this.

And you could say the same for "When Panasonic figures out AF, why the colors don't look nearly as good" etc. etc.

Too bad the 1d body is heavy and outdated. But I guess if you're paying that much for a camera an external monitor isn't going to be a big issue