Canon EOS RP specs leaked, features 26MP sensor and 4K video

Andrew Reid

34 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

From RP to RIP then.

The Canon EOS RIP will come out the day of your funeral.

Spec sheet:

Supersampled Cinema 4k 12-bit RAW internal

Global Shutter

6 Axis IBIS 

Quad Pixel AF

CLOG 2, CLOG 3

120p 4k, 240p 1080p

18 Stops Dynamic Range, 15 Stops Video

BSI Sensor 

45MP

16-bit stills 

Dual CFexpress slots 

MSRP $2,500 USD

That's all I found, if anyone has other leaked specs on the EOS RIP, please feel free to add. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Mokara said:

It is lighter than the A7 cameras, so probably it is built of less sturdy materials.

I never really have an issue with build quality (i.e. I've never broken a camera). The eosM50 is much lighter and less sturdy, but that build quality would be fine for my uses.

9 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

FOV and DOF not your cup of tea?

Sony AF isn't good enough to have great DOF without micropulsing and drops. I had one, switched to the 1DX ii and I can shoot moving subjects at f/1.2 on an 85mm, looks buttery smooth, doesn't have the issues mentioned with sony. Only time i've seen sony get close, is if it constantly has a face to track & it has to be straight on. I forget, what crop factor does the sony a7xxx have in 4k 60? ? 3 years & counting. Oh yeah, still high rolling shutter on the sony 4k. Btw, i'm trying to be canon version of jon tonight. Just cherry picking like all sony kids do haha. 

28 minutes ago, liork said:

The A7s has a great 1080p quality.

Sadly so does the eos r in 24/30p, but I don't care that much for 1080p at those frame rates in 2019.

2 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

Sony AF isn't good enough to have great DOF without micropulsing and drops. I had one, switched to the 1DX ii and I can shoot moving subjects at f/1.2 on an 85mm, looks buttery smooth, doesn't have the issues mentioned with sony. Only time i've seen sony get close, is if it constantly has a face to track & it has to be straight on. 

I can believe that, but that original question was about lack of crop. Also comparing apples and oranges won't lead anywhere. A 6K machine should be a lot better than any a7 body.

1 minute ago, JurijTurnsek said:

I can believe that, but that original question was about lack of crop. Also comparing apples and oranges won't lead anywhere. A 6K machine should be a lot better than any a7 body.

I would take a slight 1.3x crop to have very low rolling shutter, high bit rate 8-bit 4:2:2(no banding) and no overheating. The 1DX ii wasn't ever intended to be a videographer camera, it just so happens to be awesome at it, because of it's processing power and AF (2 chips, 1 dedicated to AF). It is a professional sports camera that came out 3 years ago, the fact that it still benchmarks, is hilarious. How many sony cameras are still relevant after even a year? My biggest problem with sony is the micro pulsing AF (quick drops) and baked in puke colors with 8 bit video. When they fix this, I would consider buying another one. I suspect the a7siii will have 10 bit internal, venice color science and a better AF algo. 

11 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

I would take a slight 1.3x crop to have very low rolling shutter, high bit rate 8-bit 4:2:2(no banding) and no overheating. The 1DX ii wasn't ever intended to be a videographer camera, it just so happens to be awesome at it, because of it's processing power and AF (2 chips, 1 dedicated to AF). It is a professional sports camera that came out 3 years ago, the fact that it still benchmarks, is hilarious. How many sony cameras are still relevant after even a year? My biggest problem with sony is the micro pulsing AF (quick drops) and baked in puke colors with 8 bit video. When they fix this, I would consider buying another one. I suspect the a7siii will have 10 bit internal, venice color science and a better AF algo. 

Compare it to a9 with the latest FW and the comparison becomes much more balanced. Should match its AF, but the color would not satisfy anyone used to Canon.

It still doesn't match DPAF, it isn't as smooth, still pulses and can't work in as dim of lighting. If you slow things down, Sony transitioning between focus points does it in big steps. They also have weird motion cadence. It doesn't look natural. Until they get away from contrast + phase detection AF, they can't match it. Canon has patents on quad pixel af, maybe they will license out dpaf when they use qpaf. 

4 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

One small suggestion to help not get ripped off by Canon yet again: don't buy their shit!

I haven't and I'm pretty happy with my Fuji X-H1/X-T3, and Nikon Z6---very happy, indeed.

Ripped off? Can’t say I feel ripped off. And as you state, you don’t buy Canon so how can you really speak with any authority to the matter. 

Had the Fuji X-T3... two bodies... a full collection of lenses including MX cinema glass. Both bodies died. Yet I didn’t feel ripped off. I also wouldn’t call their cameras “shit”... but from personal experience I would be hesitant to buy from them again. The image was pretty good, but I prefer the Canon.

I also owned the Nikon Z6. I wouldn’t call it  “shit” but it’s AF is nowhere near as good as Canon’s. Also the image is a bit digital feeling for my taste. Reliability was good.

Who was “ripped off”? Did they not get a camera they paid for? Did Canon lie about the specs? I just don’t understand the hostility?

On 2/8/2019 at 4:47 AM, Snowbro said:

and baked in puke colors with 8 bit video. When they fix this, I would consider buying another one. 

Ima just leave this here.. https://www.pdnonline.com/gear/cameras/the-best-cameras-for-color-reproduction-ranked/ 

same goes for video when you drop footage SOOC into an NLE and view it on a Vectorscope.

But in your defense I am one of those people that believe "color science" is 100% subjective, whether its accurate or not SOOC. 

image.png.830d3c88b6393a3310b1b5252852cf33.png