Canon EOS RP specs leaked, features 26MP sensor and 4K video

Andrew Reid

13 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Too bad the 1d body is heavy and outdated. But I guess if you're paying that much for a camera an external monitor isn't going to be a big issue

How can it be outdated (for video) if even without Canon Log, it still has the best looking image out of all the stills cameras?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The body is outdated. I probably would not buy one even if I had the money. 

Well I think Canon will be sticking to the same formula, and the mirrorless equivalent is going to be big, too, but probably not as much. It may even use the same LP-E19 battery.

The S1 isn't particularly small either and yet the battery life isn't nearly as good, so there are pros and cons to each concept.

2 minutes ago, padam said:

Well I think Canon will be sticking to the same formula, and the mirrorless equivalent is going to be big, too, but probably not as much. It may even use the same LP-E19 battery.

The S1 isn't particularly small either.

I personally like big bodies. But a hell of a nice LCD is a must have for anything above 2k. A mirrorless 1Dx mk2 with Clog and no crop in 4k will be a dream camera with 10 bit out.

7 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I personally like big bodies. But a hell of a nice LCD is a must have for anything above 2k. A mirrorless 1Dx mk2 with Clog and no crop in 4k will be a dream camera with 10 bit out.

It is unrealistic to expect no cropping at this stage, knowing how Canon works. Yes they are aware of customers' needs, but they don't necessarily pay full attention to it.

10-bit out and C-Log are a definite go, but in my opinion, they might actually increase the crop factor a bit further just to keep stills and video cameras separated, if for instance, they increase the megapixels to 24 on the 1DX Mark III and already put that into a mirrorless camera as well.

Well, at least it might not be 6k$ at launch, like the 1DX II

6 minutes ago, padam said:

It is unrealistic to expect no cropping at this stage, knowing how Canon works. Yes they are aware of customers' needs, but they don't necessarily pay full attention to it.

10-bit out and C-Log are a definite go, but in my opinion, they might actually increase the crop factor a bit further just to keep stills and video cameras separated, if for instance, they increase the megapixels to 24 on the 1DX Mark III and already put that into a mirrorless camera as well.

Well, at least it might not be 6k$ at launch, like the 1DX II

If they increase the crop and sell it at 6k that will be a joke. But I guess that's Canon.

Canon have also confirmed IBIS is on the way so you can add that to the Pro body specs. 

Also here is what Canon had to say yesterday about the upcoming Pro body:

DE: There's one more question to which I think I probably already know the answer. Do we know anything at all about when the pro EOS R body will arrive? Will it be in 2019 or 2020, or you can't even say which?

(...)

Canon: We know there's a lot of customers and there's strong demand for a pro body. We're aware of that. But at the same time, the expectations in terms of performance are really high as well, so we need time to make sure that we get everything right in the body.

WB: Mmm. That's very smart.

DE: Well I think the pro body will demand advances at the sensor level for very fast AF maybe. Sensors take a long time to design and bring to market.

Canon: Yes. You know well.

<laughter>

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2019/02/13/juicy-tidbits-on-canon-eos-rp-interview-q-and-a

The fact they say "we need time" makes me think later than sooner ETA but it does sound like a new (pro) sensor is being developed for it..

Reading between the lines my guess is this sensor will not be recycled from previous tech this time but will be based on the future 1DX3.

Personally, I'm hoping for that elusive global shutter sensor Canon patented a while back. Yeah wishful thinking I know..

8 hours ago, Snowbro said:

"Show me yours and i'll show you mine?" Dude.. I respect your decision (sony?), but I don't swing that way, i'm so sorry. This is a video centric forum, but I have 15k followers on IG for photos with 2,500 likes per pic & barely post; what is your social proving that you make anything worth a ?

I don't care about Sony. First thing I post in the thread was Canon VS Nikon DR. I own a Nikon body right now. Funny enough, I also have 15K followers on IG. But it does not prove anything. I also make some $$$ with photography being my last source of income as I am a corporate director in a totally different industry. But wait a minute, my intent was not to start a game of who is making better pictures. You kind of insulted me because I just posted a concrete proof that a Nikon APSC body from 2016 that cost $400 trumps the latest 2019 Canon FF which is insane. This proof happens to be at +6 IL recovery ; thing is even at +4 the difference is also great. So you totally got my point which was valid, you are just trying as a lot of people do today, to troll other people posts for no apparent reason. 

I have never needed more than 4 stops recovery, ever. If you do professional landscape work, you will focus stack and bracket with luminosity masks.

Absolutely wrong. World famous Pro landscape photographers like C Burkard and Max Rive use Sony and Nikon and do not do luminosity mask AT ALL. I have done bracketing and luminosity masks and it sucks time processing wise. You only need to do them with Canon in fact.  
Saying that "if you do pro landscape work you focus stack and bracket" is a proof that you know nothing about pro landscape photography. Most Pros don't have the time in post to do that kind of shit. 

l photos, but it looks like many are very overexposed and there wasn't enough highlight recovery? Also, I had said that I thought this new canon camera had terrible DR, so I don't know why you want to argue with me when I agreed hahaha. Just a reminder, you are on a URL called EOSHD and in a canon thread.

BTW, the Nikon D850 is the best FF single shot landscape camera, not anything from sony. I would take the Fuji medium format cameras for landscape if that is what I did everyday, they are incredible

Thanks. Overexposed? I shoot 95% of my pictures in aperture mode with exposure dial at -0.7 to benefit from shadow recovery that is always better than highlight recovery. Sorry this does not work with Canon as shadow recovery is not in their vocabulary. I do not think my pictures are over exposed. 
Totally agree about the D850 even though the A7RIII is almost as good. Agree with Fuji but their UWA offer sucks, and the price is a different league, not speaking about video. 

Honestly dude, I think we agree on everything and you are more trying to argue against me than debating a point here. 

As far as video is concerned, it's worst than the DR debate. 

I found dynamic range on even aps-c Sony a6300 sensor to be great. I remember being able to shoot my black cat against a bright window. By underexposing and bringing up shadows I was able to keep all the window information as well as the cat looking exposed properly. Looked almost like a dual exposure image. 

I don't know much about landscape photography.. but logic would dictate a high MP camera, without an AA filter & max amount of DR would be ideal. 

Which is why I assume D810/D850/A7RIII & MF seem to be the popular choices.

Canon really only has the 5DSR (+50MP & no AA filter) but the DR on that sensor is old tech. 1DX2 kinda sounds like an odd choice for landscape tbh but what do i know..

Personally.. I shoot people (mostly) which is why Canon CS/Skintones & fast lenses with mojo is my priority.

The optimist says Canon is milking every last bit of coin out of their old sensors to finance development of a new and modern sensor architecture to compete directly with Sony and Nikon.

The pessimist says Canon is milking every last coin out of their old sensors before they are finally forced to give up and move to Sony sensors just like everyone else.

Just now, noplz said:

The optimist says Canon is milking every last bit of coin out of their old sensors to finance development of a new and modern sensor architecture to compete directly with Sony and Nikon.

The pessimist says Canon is milking every last coin out of their old sensors before they are finally forced to give up and move to Sony sensors just like everyone else.

That's BS, they have their own DPAF sensors and patented their own BSI (DPAF) sensors as well. And as I said earlier, they are not really behind, they can simply put whatever kind of sensor they want in their cameras to differentiate them.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:47 AM, DBounce said:

I didn’t see 10 bit on that list. Will DPAF work in 4K? I wouldn’t jump the gun just yet to assume it’s going to be better than the R for video.

Seems I've gotten pretty good at understanding how Canon will cripple their new cameras?

???Or maybe they read my post, so they know what to cripple?

I bet Canon will cripple the "Pro" version of the EOS R by adding that new sensor with BSI and DPAF... with Eye Dectect that works. And I also bet they'll screw us over by adding IBIS, dual card slots and a higher resolution EVF... a wider flip out screen and raw output ? We can only hope they remember that CLog is for losers and leave it out.

Dam you Canon, I really hope you don't dare put out such a camera.

6 minutes ago, Ivko Pivko said:

Canon R(I)P, good point and matches my feelings.

I'm sure they're trying to milk as much as they can but right now but it's the wrong strategy. With camera shipments dropping and computational photography still developing they're going to lose more customers.

Probably not, they are actually trying to convince new (amateur) or existing customers to step up to (or start with) FF.

It could become a lot more succesful than the EOS R.

Yes, the 4k is not really useable, but hey it is still an EOS and it shoots HD ;)