Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Only because someone brought up the XT-3 again and I just moved from that platform, I'd say it has the best image coming SOC.  Set that thing to Eterna or Classic Chrome, transcode to ProRes and then do your thing in Resolve or Premiere.  

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Only because someone brought up the XT-3 again and I just moved from that platform, I'd say it has the best image coming SOC.  Set that thing to Eterna or Classic Chrome, transcode to ProRes and then do your thing in Resolve or Premiere.  

How did you find colour matching fuji and bm?

1 hour ago, xzobinx said:

How did you find colour matching fuji and bm?

They both have nice color, but would be a pain for sure. Definitely possible as both have very nice codecs.

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I was wondering, which one has better low light performance?

XT-3 or P4K?

XT3 is better. Though the P4K is really good as well. Probably the two best low light performers outside of the A7S2. The GH5S is nice but retains less detail and the A73 has weird ghosting issues and there is no way to turn of its noise reduction. 

I don't know enough about the Nikon Z6 to say. It could be a real winner recording externally(not really sure how good the internal recordings are). I know they are very clean but I am not sure how good or bad the NR is.

8 hours ago, drm said:

I have the GH5, GH5S, & P4K cameras. The Panasonic cameras produce great looking files straight out of the camera. Many people like the Natural profile on the Panasonic cameras. However, you will have to transcode these files into ProRes (or proxy) in order to edit them smoothly on a lower spec computer. 

The footage from the BM cameras does not look as good straight out of the camera as the Panasonic footage, in my opinion. The BRAW and the ProRes files from the P4K are much easier to edit on lower spec computers than the Panasonic footage, but the file sizes are much larger. In order to get decent footage straight from the P4K camera, you would need to "bake in" a LUT into the footage when recording. Without baking in a LUT, you will have to grade the footage in a program like Resolve.

Picking between the GH5 & the P4K is a tough one as each has advantages. The choice would come down to your use case. The GH5 has image stabilization, great battery life, & great footage straight out of the camera, with the option for V-Log footage that you can grade. The P4K doesn't have stabilization, and has much worse battery life, but the P4K is better in low light and gives you the ability to record RAW footage. Each has lots of advantages and a few weaknesses.

After color grading, both cameras produce wonderful footage. I think that either is a great choice, but the GH5 would be better for beginners. If you don't have any M4/3 lenses, you should also consider the Fuji XT3.

I have the Panasonic GH5 and I use it extensively for stock footage but I would like to produce a series of short films. Even tweaking and color grading and using  filters like the  Tiffen Pro Mist I cannot get a beautiful cinematic look like I see with Arri Mini Alexa or even cameras like my 5D MK IV. Comparing the GH5 with the P4K (as you said you own both) do you perceive a distinctive look that makes the second closer to that "organic feel" we all associate with film ? 

To be more specific: to be able to get to most from bm do i need to be good at grading? I have couple of mft lenses plus several minolta vintage so no lens prblem either for gh5 or bm.either i wouldnt mind xt3 with kit lens to start. So lens is not a real issue.issue could be what stop to have a flawlessy workflow without the need to rigging a lot or postproducing a lot

No, you can use the provided LUTs either in camera, or in post for very nice SOC results. Shooting in a Film or Braw format will give you plenty of freedom to learn grading and one day you might forgo LUTs all together. To start with, all you really need to know how to do is apply a LUT.

I learned by shooting in LOG (on a JVC LS300) applying a LUT I liked and then trying to manually match the LOG file to that LUT. It never came out an exact match, but it gave me the speed of SOC when I needed it, but also an understanding of grading for when I'd like to spend a bit more time on the footage. 

The same is true for any camera that can shoot LOG, but ProRes out the camera will make it easier on your post workflow.

7 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I thought XT-3 is worst than XT-2 for a stop or so.

Really surprised to hear that is so much better, even compared to the A7iii(?).

Glad I ask!

X-t2 and XT-3 are virtually the same unless you are pixel peeping.

The A7III is much cleaner than the XT3. 3200 on the XT3 looks like 12,800 on the A7III. That  said the difference is the A73 has ghosting issues and more noticeable noise reduction. Thats not something you can fix in post. I say the Black magic Pocket 4k is one of the best low light performers as it gives you an unprocessed image. You can always process and image more in editing but you can unprocess already baked in NR.

I don't see that difference you are talking about: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=fujifilm_xt3&attr13_1=sony_a7iii&attr13_2=fujifilm_xt2&attr13_3=sony_a7ii&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=3200&attr16_1=12800&attr16_2=3200&attr16_3=3200&normalization=compare&widget=1&x=0&y=0

ISO3200 on the T3 looks better than ISO6400 on the A73 imo. 
And in video, the A73 has a 1.2x crop with 30p, wo the difference gets even smaller and that's not considering options like All-I noise reduction. 

Back when I had the A73 I thought it was a great cam. Might be one of the best allrounders out there. But the T3 isn't missing out on much when it comes to image quality, while offering a lot more options when it comes to video. It's lacking IBIS though. 

19 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

I don't see that difference you are talking about: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=fujifilm_xt3&attr13_1=sony_a7iii&attr13_2=fujifilm_xt2&attr13_3=sony_a7ii&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=3200&attr16_1=12800&attr16_2=3200&attr16_3=3200&normalization=compare&widget=1&x=0&y=0

ISO3200 on the T3 looks better than ISO6400 on the A73 imo. 
And in video, the A73 has a 1.2x crop with 30p, wo the difference gets even smaller and that's not considering options like All-I noise reduction. 

Back when I had the A73 I thought it was a great cam. Might be one of the best allrounders out there. But the T3 isn't missing out on much when it comes to image quality, while offering a lot more options when it comes to video. It's lacking IBIS though. 

I am talking about video though not RAW images. 

14 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I am talking about video though not RAW images. 

I know, but the video data comes from raw data, so we get an idea. But with video we have to deal with different amounts of noise reduction. Even with NR off, there is still some. Take the X-T3, there is 18 different settings for noise reduction. Not as many with Sony, but there are some too (and I often felt, like it depended on the picture profile too). That's a lot of comparison one has to do and many variables to take into consideration. 

And as I said, the A73 crops in 30p, so it depends on the frame rate you compare too. 

5 hours ago, frontfocus said:

I know, but the video data comes from raw data, so we get an idea. But with video we have to deal with different amounts of noise reduction. Even with NR off, there is still some. Take the X-T3, there is 18 different settings for noise reduction. Not as many with Sony, but there are some too (and I often felt, like it depended on the picture profile too). That's a lot of comparison one has to do and many variables to take into consideration. 

And as I said, the A73 crops in 30p, so it depends on the frame rate you compare too. 

Yeah unfortunately you can't disable noise reduction completely even at -5 on the Sony at least. 

It would be interesting to see someone shoot a scene that includes a test chart, then apply NR in post to the XT3 and P4K until they match the level of detail and IQ from the A7III.  

If the A7III gives a certain resolution and noise level at some ISO but you can get the same noise level but with better resolution by applying NR in post to the other cameras then in the real-world they would beat the A7III.  

Far too many people are judging cameras like the entire post-production phase doesn't exist, when unfortunately half the image processing happens inside the camera these days.

26 minutes ago, kye said:

It would be interesting to see someone shoot a scene that includes a test chart, then apply NR in post to the XT3 and P4K until they match the level of detail and IQ from the A7III.  

If the A7III gives a certain resolution and noise level at some ISO but you can get the same noise level but with better resolution by applying NR in post to the other cameras then in the real-world they would beat the A7III.  

Far too many people are judging cameras like the entire post-production phase doesn't exist, when unfortunately half the image processing happens inside the camera these days.

I have access to all three cameras! I'll see if I can get it done. 

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I have access to all three cameras! I'll see if I can get it done. 

If you struggle in post then upload some clips and others can have a go and we can all compare our results :)