Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

4 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

I still struggle with the concept of large (and quite expensive) cameras with small sensors then offering fairly expensive adapters (speedboosters) to emulate FF. Why not simply buy a FF camera in the first place. If a smaller sensor camera doesnt offer an advantage in terms of 'size' (actually being smaller) or 'price' what exactly is the point?

Admittedly it does make some sense for Panasonic in video as they offer 10bit, high bit rates and 4k 60p which the FF companies havent really shown is possible in FF but I do think it is only a matter of time. The industry, I think, is trending to FF.

The main reason I see using them is to make damn fast lenses even faster. You take the Sigma 1.8 lenses and put them on a Speedbooster, you are a happy camper.

And a ASPC camera as a whole are cheaper to buy, and the native lenses for them are a lot cheaper than their FF counterparts. Plus the overall package probably weighs less on average also. Win, Win.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

I still struggle with the concept of large (and quite expensive) cameras with small sensors then offering fairly expensive adapters (speedboosters) to emulate FF. Why not simply buy a FF camera in the first place. If a smaller sensor camera doesnt offer an advantage in terms of 'size' (actually being smaller) or 'price' what exactly is the point?

Admittedly it does make some sense for Panasonic in video as they offer 10bit, high bit rates and 4k 60p which the FF companies havent really shown is possible in FF but I do think it is only a matter of time. The industry, I think, is trending to FF.

Fuji is excellent in this regard, in that the lenses won’t bankrupt you like Sony’s GM lenses, they are of outstanding build and optical quality and perfect size-wise for me. I stopped using speed boosters with my Panasonics a long time ago - it was just unpleasant carrying all that extra weight around, and there are many more fast primes available today than when I first got into micro 4/3. A friend has got the prized Sony zooms and an a7r III, but I think you’ve got to be in good shape to lug those around all day long! The Sigmas are much less expensive, but they’re pretty big and bulky as well. Perhaps the one thing that gives me pause about going with Sony’s FF.

It can take centuries trying to decide which lenses to buy for micro four thirds. With Fuji, it’s pretty much a no-brainer. 

The industry, I think, is trending to FF.

The biggest players - Canon, Nikon and Sony all sell many more APS-c cameras compared to FF. The volume is at the bottom of the market, not at the top. 

This comes down to personal tastes, I don't see the point of smaller bodies so cramped they're a pain to shoot. I had to shoot the a6300 with my pinky and ring fingers below the body - that's a major pain when shooting all day with anything more than the pancake PZ. Speedboosters open up more lens options, but Fuji and m43 have plenty of fast options. If the XH1 is too big, the XT2 is smaller and the XT20 is smaller still. Personally the XT2's size is as small as I want to go body-wise. As far as the point of larger bodies? A camera is far more than just a sensor, and more importantly you're buying to a system, so you have to look at the entire range you want in terms of lenses and such, not just a body.

Yes Sony has a few small FE primes - outside of the 85/1.8 they all have major flaws. Plus you have big gaps in Sony's offerings being filled by the overpriced Batis', the upcoming supersize Sigma Arts, the so-so Samyang's and the Toking Firn's that look pretty good. There are more going, but most will be large to cover the larger sensor. The fast FE's are large and the zooms are all really big - they're pricey, and they all almost completely lack weather sealing. I have issues with the $2500 GM zoom having so little weather sealing - and its size. Combined with Sony's iffy QC (check Fred Miranda's Sony board and Lens Rentals optical bench tests, Sony's have some of the widest variances of all their tests) and its a non-starter for me. I paid $1600 total for my 16-55 and 50-140/2.8 - and they're both amazing lenses. Sony's 24-105 is $1300 by itself. If you're trying to build a system, Fuji will likely be smaller and cheaper. Same for m43 I don't buy new lenses and with Fuji's regular sales, the used market has lots of great deals.

Chris

6 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@Trek of Joy dude I had to attach a battery and thumb grip just to use my a6500 handheld. These cams are getting way too small

Yeah I am using a Sony battery grip on my A7s, and I also have one of those extension ones you can flip to 90 degrees on a tripod. My Pinky finger hangs over without them. But I do like the option to be able to use it either way. The A7xx cameras are an amazingly small package for FF. I love them.

I would love to have a Nikon D850 for an all arounder for travel, hobby. But man if you put any sort of Long native zoom on them they are just embarrassingly huge! Really m4/3 is sort of the only way to go if you are into long lenses. They are amazingly compact and pretty damn light.

6 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@Trek of Joy dude I had to attach a battery and thumb grip just to use my a6500 handheld. These cams are getting way too small

Ehh in my case I am getting way too big LoL. :blush:

49 minutes ago, brianwahl said:

Another quick little clip using 60 and 120p footage and Eterna (graded in Resolve).

So far the Fuji continues to impress while the Sony's sit on the desk...

Looks great. I keep watching this one, makes my a7s2 shiver in anticipation of getting sold.

1 hour ago, brianwahl said:

Another quick little clip using 60 and 120p footage and Eterna (graded in Resolve).

Nice footage.

If you get a chance it would be interesting to see the quality if you exported and uploaded this in 4K/UHD to YouTube.  I've done tests and found that YT compression is far less brutal on 4K.

I see lots of compression artefacts but it's hard to know what is the camera and what is YT.

If you don't have time then no worries - thanks for sharing!

On 3/19/2018 at 9:39 AM, Matthew Hartman said:

Were you doing tatical military training? ?

Sometimes I'm surprised the a7S isn't banned from being exported because it has military technology in it :-P

On 3/19/2018 at 10:34 AM, brianwahl said:

Ha! Well I'm the guy without the huge beard :)

What huge beard? I didn't see one in the video

On 3/20/2018 at 5:00 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Well, the debate can end, the master has spoken.

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 16.56.12.jpg

If the price is a "bit high", maybe he has one he can sell us cheaper? 

On 3/20/2018 at 5:40 AM, kidzrevil said:

@BTM_Pix lmaaaaao if anyone is still listening to that scam artist they need to go drink bleach 

Why don't people on dpreview rip into him every time he posts?!

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Sometimes I'm surprised the a7S isn't banned from being exported because it has military technology in it :-P

What huge beard? I didn't see one in the video

If the price is a "bit high", maybe he has one he can sell us cheaper? 

Why don't people on dpreview rip into him every time he posts?!

DPR is a massive forum (for the masses), it doesn't really have the sense of a community.

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I still dislike that movie-mode is on the drive mode lever, it should be a single button press to toggle between movie and stills mode. Firmware?

My theory is that its stills and video modes are so distinct code wise that it is effectively almost like a reboot when you switch, hence why it has to be a physical control.

This, to me, is why it can't record more than 720p while you are using the app as when you are using the app it is in "stills mode" and 720p is the limit to what it can do without being in full on  video mode.

I can think of no other reason why you would cripple it in this way otherwise, both from the point of view of not being able to do video recording in stills mode by a programmable key (of which there are many) or not allowing the user to record such reduced resolution while operating it remotely.

Now that they have a camera that they are targeting to video production then this business with the 720p restriction will become more and more relevant and will require a bit of an elaborate workaround. 

Anyway......did you get the battery grip?