Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

• Super Members

Don't know if this post has a point or of its just a bit of G.A.S venting.
One thing bothering me about the X-H1 is the fun factor. Normally I enjoy shooting with Fuji cameras and I like the output.

The video out of the X-H1 is absolutely stellar. F-Log can be a bit difficult to grade compared to c-log or bmd-film imo. But when you get the hang of it it is very sweet indeed.
My way of getting the most out it is to, unlike the other LOGs, hold back a little on the ETTR. Exposing down a tad seems to inject some color magic into the image.

The stills are as lovely as ever. Zero complaints.

What keeps me from using it is like I said the fun factor. I dont know why but I always grab for example my G85 instead. 
The X-H1 feels a bit to utilitarian. It might be because I currently no longer own any native glass so Im not feeling 100% confident that I will get the shot.
Or its just to similar to the X-T2 which I didn't care for compared to the X-Pro2. 

Then again, my G85 isn't anything like the xpro2 and I enjoy that a lot.

Anyone else with the camera that feels a similar way?

Im thinking about buying the 90mm for it and use it on a gig or two just to give it a fair try. So far its only been used as a slowmo b-cam for my 6Dmkii when doing video gigs.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

X-T2 and X-T3 are tools for me. The X-H1 even more so. And then there are the DSLRs, which I don't enjoy using. NOT, ONE, BIT. 
And while there are dual card slots, ultra fast focusing, IBIS and other things and I do own quite a bit of Fujinon glas, the X100 has been the camera I enjoy the most, since the first one came out 7 years ago. 
Since then, the X100 has always been the camera I had a sweet spot in my heart and it was also the reason why I started with Fuji X in the first place. 

So yes, I know the feeling. 

5 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Don't know if this post has a point or of its just a bit of G.A.S venting.
One thing bothering me about the X-H1 is the fun factor. Normally I enjoy shooting with Fuji cameras and I like the output.

The video out of the X-H1 is absolutely stellar. F-Log can be a bit difficult to grade compared to c-log or bmd-film imo. But when you get the hang of it it is very sweet indeed.
My way of getting the most out it is to, unlike the other LOGs, hold back a little on the ETTR. Exposing down a tad seems to inject some color magic into the image.

The stills are as lovely as ever. Zero complaints.

What keeps me from using it is like I said the fun factor. I dont know why but I always grab for example my G85 instead. 
The X-H1 feels a bit to utilitarian. It might be because I currently no longer own any native glass so Im not feeling 100% confident that I will get the shot.
Or its just to similar to the X-T2 which I didn't care for compared to the X-Pro2. 

Then again, my G85 isn't anything like the xpro2 and I enjoy that a lot.

I feel that way with my Sony a7 iii. After thinking about "why?" for some time I've come to the conclusion that it's because it's a near flawless camera, which means it's better than me and I therefore feel inadequate or maybe even antiquitated by it. So my lack of love for it is a projection of my jealousy of it. This sounds really silly I know but im totally serious ?

57 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

I feel that way with my Sony a7 iii. After thinking about "why?" for some time I've come to the conclusion that it's because it's a near flawless camera, which means it's better than me and I therefore feel inadequate or maybe even antiquitated by it. So my lack of love for it is a projection of my jealousy of it. This sounds really silly I know but im totally serious ?

I feel the same way, and am seriously considering selling my A7iii and all my lens, for a Fuji X-t3.

It's a big step since FF gives me all I want, but not this Fuji feeling.
I'm also not really convinced buy the fuji lenses I could want, like the 56/1.2 and their old AF motor (painfull for video).

But the fun I feel when I use my Friend X-T3, it's above all those technics considerations.
And even if I do whatever I want with raw stills, there is something about Fuji colors I can't describe.

12 hours ago, Alex Uzan said:

I feel the same way, and am seriously considering selling my A7iii and all my lens, for a Fuji X-t3.

It's a big step since FF gives me all I want, but not this Fuji feeling.
I'm also not really convinced buy the fuji lenses I could want, like the 56/1.2 and their old AF motor (painfull for video).

But the fun I feel when I use my Friend X-T3, it's above all those technics considerations.
And even if I do whatever I want with raw stills, there is something about Fuji colors I can't describe.

The old Fuji lenses like the 56mm 1.2 work a lot better with the XT3. 

That said the 50mm f2 is a nice lens as well.

• 2 months later...

Some lens observations from the 2.0 obtains which finally coupled the IBIS to OIS.

10-24: wow, this lens is Olympus good now, simply amazing how good the stabilization is. As an extreme test, I followed my toddler around for about 10 minutes, and all of it, besides walking up the stairs, was excellent.

18-55: noticed a big difference in panning quality, no more floating image. Otherwise it’s a slight improvement.

55-200: not listed in the release as an improvement or upgrade. I’d say it improved at least as much as the 18-55.

18-135: got my personal one refurbished, exhchanged or fixed by Fuji USA... whoa. This is like shooting the 12-100 on the EM-1ii. The image quality is still lacking, but if you’re in decent light, handhold this all day long. 

Fuji did a great job on this update, makes the X-H1 a much better camera for video. There is something about this camera that is just more fun or easier to use than my work X-T3, maybe it’s because I like what I’m shooting more. 

I agree, the update was great. I also noticed a big improvement when it comes to panning. The camera no longer tried so hard to keep the image steady and then snaps when you pan, but does it much better. 

I also agree, it feels very much like the Olympus dual stabilization, which is probably the best on the market. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/19/2020 at 11:32 PM, Stathman said:

Firmware 2.10 available.

https://fujifilm-x.com/global/support/download/firmware/cameras/x-h1/

Auto exposure stepping issue fixed. (Auto ISO video mode).

I can definitely see an improvement on ibis stepping issue too.

Well done!

Fuji are really ridiculous about that "minor bugs" thing if they've snuck an IBIS fix in without explicitly calling it out! Great news if so, makes the XH1 even better value, I loved it when I had it but couldn't stand the IBIS.