Jump to content
DaveAltizer

Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Recommended Posts

That is an excellent review shared by @jindrich. Interesting to see the behavior of the IBIS in the "Laguna Beach" video.

I've just packed up the X-H1 I recently purchased and sent it back to Adorama. It really is an excellent camera and so many improvements over the X-T2 for a true hybrid shooter. These were my issues:

I also experienced too much jerkiness with the IBIS. In "Laguna Beach" you can see some of the hops and jerks now and then, even within their chosen edit. Even with smooth, slow pans, I would have a fair bit of this. I spoke with a Fuji tech yesterday and "Dan" informed me that is was likely an issue of "buffer on the sensor" and that was all he could say. There are time too when the IBIS produces an effect akin to a warp stabilizer in post that I loathe.

I also picked up a Fringer Pro adapter and much prefer the quality of the stabilization I get in my Canon 17-55/2.8. I am using this with both my X-T2 and tried it with the X-H1, both IBIS off and lens stabilization on and IBIS on and lens stabilization off as well as both on. For me, relying on the lens stabilization in the Canon produced the best look consistently.

I would love to use my fast, small Fuji primes, obviously, but this 1st gen. just IBIS just isn't there yet for me.

The other issue I had was the increased aliasing in the X-H1's 1080p/60 vs. the X-T2. It's there.

So with the Fringer adapter, the upcoming firmware, and examples like what @Vladimir posted, I've got a lot of mileage to pull from my X-T2 still. Feeling good about that. Excited about that shutter mechanism coming to the X-T3 or an X-H2 with better IBIS and aliasing control.

Oh, lastly, I think the new grip is not universally better. It is better than an X-T2 w/o the battery grip, which I shoot with, but felt just a bit more than what I wanted. Subjective, is all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The grip is just mandatory for video and takes care of issues 1 & 2. Fat32 i've run into that issue once or twice but usually the recording time limit stops before you hit the 4 gig limit (although with 200mbs this could now be real issue). the 120fps IQ issues is overblown in his video.. i mean who shoots brick walls and cranes in super slow-mo?!

I'd say currently the biggest beef with this camera is rolling shutter, crop factor, AF & the jerky IBIS. i'm still tempted to buy one though, Eterna is sublime and it rocks for stills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure whether you read the title or watched the entire video, but Max clearly states that this is a videocentric review. Do you need to be reminded that Sony changed their battery and now it's possible to get over two hours on a single charge? Oh, and that darn headphone jack. Thing is, Fuji made their camera larger so most reviewers can't fathom why Fuji did what they did. And just because you or I don't shoot super slow mo of certain subjects or shoot longer than ten minutes, many others do. And while you may be unaware of this, moire can turn up in a pair of jeans, a blouse, any fabric, roofs of houses, anywhere. If you've got other priorities, fine. But let's argue with facts, not made-up stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Django said:

The grip is just mandatory for video and takes care of issues 1 & 2. Fat32 i've run into that issue once or twice but usually the recording time limit stops before you hit the 4 gig limit (although with 200mbs this could now be real issue). the 120fps IQ issues is overblown in his video.. i mean who shoots brick walls and cranes in super slow-mo?!

I'd say currently the biggest beef with this camera is rolling shutter, crop factor, AF & the jerky IBIS. i'm still tempted to buy one though, Eterna is sublime and it rocks for stills.

The grip is an additional accessory, that is mandatory in such a big and heavy camera is a disadvantage, in whatever way you see it. The 120 IQ seems worst than a 2014 camera I own, and it's 2018.. and all the rest. If you take it out of context, and I know some will, then it's the best video option for Fuji system, but if you aren't part of the ecosystem, then it is a hard sell, and more announcements are coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Not sure whether you read the title or watched the entire video, but Max clearly states that this is a videocentric review. Do you need to be reminded that Sony changed their battery and now it's possible to get over two hours on a single charge? Oh, and that darn headphone jack. Thing is, Fuji made their camera larger so most reviewers can't fathom why Fuji did what they did. And just because you or I don't shoot super slow mo of certain subjects or shoot longer than ten minutes, many others do. And while you may be unaware of this, moire can turn up in a pair of jeans, a blouse, any fabric, roofs of houses, anywhere. If other issues are more important to you, fine. But let's argue with facts, not made-up stuff.

Easy Jon. May i remind you i have a Sony A73 with the new batteries. My C100 can do 4 to 5 hours on a single charge. So what? I wasn't comparing cameras.

 My point was simply that the grip on the H1 is mandatory (like it or not) and takes care of issue 1 & 2.

As for the moire & aliasing, yes I'm fully aware of it. I've shot super slow-mo with the H1. again if you actually read my post I make it clear the issue is overblown by Max by only contextualising it with the worst case scenario. Not saying the issue doesn't exist or isn't important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I'll go slow and easy. :) "The grip takes care of issues one and two" That's exactly the problem - with a camera of that size, there is no reason why Fuji could not have included a larger battery and headphone jack. I'm not comparing Fuji to anybody here. hehe

As far as moire goes, to me, and several others here, it's one of the ugliest of artifacts; can appear anywhere; and is virtually impossible to remove from a video clip. afaik

It was one of the things I disliked most about my GH3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh I agree, headphone jack & larger battery would have been great. fortunately there does exist a workaround. not the case with the issues i've listed (rolling shutter, crop factor, AF, jerky IBIS) which is why i've listed them higher in my issue list. thats pretty factual not "made up stuff".

 moire is indeed a nasty thing. my "workaround" is avoiding objects/fabrics which showcase it. not ideal but not impossible either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with the grip is that the body can't switch batteries while recording. This is rarely mentioned even though it can be a real pain in the ass. Imagine you have 5 mins left in the battery inside the body and two fully charged batteries in the grip. You will still be limited to 5 mins of continuous recording, as the recording stops when the currently used battery dies. So you have to keep an eye on that, and in this case remove the battery if you plan a shot longer than 5 mins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Attila Bakos said:

The problem with the grip is that the body can't switch batteries while recording. This is rarely mentioned even though it can be a real pain in the ass. Imagine you have 5 mins left in the battery inside the body and two fully charged batteries in the grip. You will still be limited to 5 mins of continuous recording, as the recording stops when the currently used battery dies. So you have to keep an eye on that, and in this case remove the battery if you plan a shot longer than 5 mins.

I'm confused by this statement... so say you have 5 min. left in your battery, and you say.... ok guys.... cut.... lets take a break so I can swap out batteries. So you stop recording and instead of taking out the battery you just put on the grip with the additional batteries, its going to turn off the camera after 5 min of use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Attila Bakos said:

The problem with the grip is that the body can't switch batteries while recording. This is rarely mentioned even though it can be a real pain in the ass. Imagine you have 5 mins left in the battery inside the body and two fully charged batteries in the grip. You will still be limited to 5 mins of continuous recording, as the recording stops when the currently used battery dies. So you have to keep an eye on that, and in this case remove the battery if you plan a shot longer than 5 mins.

wow, that is indeed a problem. If a battery lasts for ~half an hour then even if shooting 15-20min clips that would mean a clip per battery to be on the safe side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mkabi said:

I'm confused by this statement... so say you have 5 min. left in your battery, and you say.... ok guys.... cut.... lets take a break so I can swap out batteries. So you stop recording and instead of taking out the battery you just put on the grip with the additional batteries, its going to turn off the camera after 5 min of use?

The camera eats the batteries one by one, the one in the body comes first, then it switches to the ones in the grip. When this switch happens, recording stops. The camera won't turn off, you just have to press record again. It's easy to forget, and because the screen is on, it's easy to remain under the impression that your recording is on. Then comes the surprise, and blood pressure rises to 200 in like 1 second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mkabi said:

I'm confused by this statement... so say you have 5 min. left in your battery, and you say.... ok guys.... cut.... lets take a break so I can swap out batteries. So you stop recording and instead of taking out the battery you just put on the grip with the additional batteries, its going to turn off the camera after 5 min of use?

I hear you but not everyone is film making. I'm trying to use my X-series cameras as a b-cam to my C100mk2 for interviews or as a stand-alone when I want a smaller kit. 

The fact that the X-T2 and X-H1 cannot switch between batteries w/o interrupting the recording is a real bummer, certainly for the interview approach I prefer.

This becomes more challenging when doing both stills and video over the course of a working day and batteries have been partially drained in the grip. It's an issue for me and makes the new camera not working it. 

5 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

The camera eats the batteries one by one, the one in the body comes first, then it switches to the ones in the grip. When this switch happens, recording stops. The camera won't turn off, you just have to press record again. It's easy to forget, and because the screen is on, it's easy to remain under the impression that your recording is on. Then comes the surprise, and blood pressure rises to 200 in like 1 second.

Interesting. I experienced the flow of battery use the opposite in the X-T2 - grip first.

Results in blood pressure are the same however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jonpais...you mention it now for 200 times ... headfon jack and battery and lcd monitor and and and .... If you still have Fuji stuff - just sell it and write in another thread .. please.
The many others like me are super clear with the x-h1..manch one should send the camera to Fuji Service times when I read all this.
Others make unrealistic tests where one attacks the head. If you criticize then the handle will be funny too ... oje oje :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My very straightforward impression on that video under M.Y. signature... (Well, following other comments of my own about the same BTW) Would that vlogger act in the same way on any flaws of a camera designed, made and commercialized by Sony...? With that conclusive YT title there?! Any doubts out there...? Really!? :X

Frankly, I'd rather be wrong on that one but I honestly don't believe I am : (

Bias is invariably a bitch...

E.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

My very straightforward impression on that video by MY... (Well, following other comments of my own about the same BTW) Would that reviewer act in the same way on any flaws of a Sony camera...? With that conclusive title there?! Really!? :X

Frankly, I'd rather be wrong on that one but I honestly don't believe I am : (

Bias is invariably a bitch... (E.)

If you are referring to the Yuryev video, he has done the same for Sony cameras "long" time ago (he says in the beginning of the video as well), and has done for other systems, he has one even for NX1 cameras!

"thought the Sony fanboys were the worst, but Fuji guys are very dedicated, to put it nicely" and he said that, even before putting this video out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...