Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

If there’s already an X-H1 thread let me know. I did a quick search and didn’t see one. 

I for one am really excited about this camera. Here are the rumored specs from Fujirumors: 

-Better AF than XT2

-IBIS that can work with OIS as well for dual IS. 

-Same sensor as XT2 with same slight crop on the sensor in 4K

-Internal F-Log

-Phase Detect AF in video! (Hopefully with face tracking enabled in 4K!)

-Top LCD 

-Internal 8bit 4:2:0 4K 

-Headphone Jack in body instead of on grip. 

February 15th  

IBIS alone is enough reason to get me excited about this camera. Not to mention the incredible color science and phase detect AF!! And all the incredible native lenses too. Really awesome. What do you guys think?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I know without a doubt the IQ on this camera will be better than Sony in my opinion. Sony is sticking to their guns with their color science for the most part, and it just doesn't excite me. Even though the a7Riii is such a wonderful camera. 

I wonder if they will be able to fit 4k at 60fps on this camera? Probably not..

I wish they added 4K60, but yeah, probably not gonna happen. I also wish for 10bit, internally or externally. I'm shooting F-Log with the X-T2 and with 8bit it leaves some to be desired. And I'm not sure if it's just my X-T2 or a general issue, but the camera gets hot relatively fast when you use HDMI out. And thermal noise appears after a few minutes at ISO 6400 and above, which you won't see when you only record internally. Oh and it would be great to have waveforms or rgb parade in video mode. And adjustable zebras.

55 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

According to my test conducted here on the forum Ricoh-Pentax won with a huge margin.

Also, a color test with a brown thumbnail isnt very reassuring ;)

Thumbnail, it was conducted using prints. I think I might trust The Camera Store conclusion. Pentax doesn't sell about 34 cameras a year for no reason.

Ricoh-Pentax is a thing of the past. GR II was a good product 6 years ago. Pentax, well they are Pentax. Still in the 60's. It is the last camera in the world 98% of the people would ever buy.

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/26299-fuji-x-h1-new-apsc-video-oriented-camera/

latest specs sound great!

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Not according to this video. It was at the bottom with Pentax.

i remember that shootout.. so unscientific with different lenses on each body.. and such weird "test shots" .. brown foliage, a baby & fruit lol.. 

anyways Fuji came in 4th btw.. Pentax 8th.. it's all pretty subjective though (aside from iPhone lol)

as a recent Fuji convert (XT2) after spending years on Canikon i must say i'm very satisfied with the Fuji X experience & results both in stills & video.

what sets Fuji X apart are 2 things: X-trans sensor which eliminates chroma noise and gives a more filmic luma noise at high ISO & the film simulations which make use of Fuji's extensive knowledge in film color science. their AWB is also second to none, nailing even the most difficult mixed light situations.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Thumbnail, it was conducted using prints. I think I might trust The Camera Store conclusion. Pentax doesn't sell about 34 cameras a year for no reason.

Ricoh-Pentax is a thing of the past. GR II was a good product 6 years ago. Pentax, well they are Pentax. Still in the 60's. It is the last camera in the world 98% of the people would ever buy.

Well I would still take a GR over any 2017 truely pocketable cam. Ricoh are actually pretty genius with their camera design but are often a bit ahead of their time with the conservative camera crowd.

I doubt they have the resources and tech to go against Panasonic/Sony, or the user base to go against the future Canonikon mirrorless. I do see them in the future being a niche camera maker in the context of Pentax is right now. A few loyalists, and not a significant growth in numbers.

I will be waiting to see what they can offer in 2018, but the latest X-A5 is similar in size and price when the NX500 was new, 3 full years ago, and the 2 cameras are not even close. A lot of tech and features to implement to stay competitive. At least they do what they can, and do not promise what they can't (e.g Sony).

• Super Members
3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

GRii is still the ultimate street camera imo. Please link if there has been a release this morning that I have missed with a more advanced competitor. Because of yesterday no such camera existed. 
And its colors are good enough to be voted the best by EOSHD members to name a few places.
I don't care what they sell, its not relevant in any way to what the outcome of the two tests.

And in the 60s... yeah while we bitch about peaking and electronic shutters in Canikon, Pentax already has it in their DSLRs.

Im not gonna have a fanboy debate here. My only points here and all I wanted to say was:

• According to my blind test Ricoh-Pentax was voted to have the best colors.
  • That thumbnail looked like poop and thats ironic on a color test.
2 hours ago, mat33 said:

Well I would still take a GR over any 2017 truely pocketable cam. Ricoh are actually pretty genius with their camera design but are often a bit ahead of their time with the conservative camera crowd.

Yup, some people that review it today still dot "get" things like snap. They say "why would I use it when I can just go hyperlocal?"
When it should be "with snap Im not forced to go hyperlocal with all the negative impacts that has on distances, sharpness and dof".

And when I did a little head to head with the competition its size came a long way.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

I doubt they have the resources and tech to go against Panasonic/Sony, or the user base to go against the future Canonikon mirrorless. I do see them in the future being a niche camera maker in the context of Pentax is right now. A few loyalists, and not a significant growth in numbers.

I will be waiting to see what they can offer in 2018, but the latest X-A5 is similar in size and price when the NX500 was new, 3 full years ago, and the 2 cameras are not even close. A lot of tech and features to implement to stay competitive. At least they do what they can, and do not promise what they can't (e.g Sony).

I agree. They are the most forward thinking camera maker out there. Samsung feels like an old record player in comparison. But just like them, Pentax will disappear.
So will Panasonic or Sony. There isn't room for both imo.

8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Not according to this video. It was at the bottom with Pentax.

Camera Store TV thinks it is crap?

Perfect! Now if everyone else in this thread can shut up about how good it might be, and instead go on about surely how total shit this camera must be, then @Mattias Burling will be certain to come along and review this camera with lots of reasons to convince us why it is an awesome camera! ;-)

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

If Cinema5D does a hatchet job on them, their growth could be astronomical.

The last missing part of the jigsaw!

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Still in the 60's. It is the last camera in the world 98% of the people would ever buy.

I'd take a Pentax 645Z in a heart beat if offered at the right price!

(already own the original Pentax 645)

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Camera Store TV thinks it is crap?

Perfect! Now if everyone else in this thread can shut up about how good it might be, and instead go on about surely how total shit this camera must be, then @Mattias Burling will be certain to come along and review this camera with lots of reasons to convince us why it is an awesome camera! ;-)

I stopped listening to revoewers a long time ago for a good reason. Now I just view the cameras footage on the big screen and I let my eyes make the decisions for me. As long as the fuji covers the basics like full pixel readout, doesn’t overheat like a toaster oven etc I think people will find the color to be very pleasing