Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@webrunner5

I don't own a Fujifilm camera (mainly because they don't offer dedicated video cameras at the moment), but I worked some days with a X-T2 and compared with my Sony and Nikon hybrid cameras. More than that, end of 2017 I've done some polls on German language Social Media sites to find out more about colour preferences of my audience. The results were for me - as a NON-Fuji-owner - quite astonishing:

About 64% of the 16-25 years old spectators say, thy prefer Fuji-Colors (not graded, out of the camera color science) by far more than Nikon, Sony or even Canon. Period.

The 25-40 years old German spectators prefer mostly more neutral / cool colors out of a Sony or Nikon. Then Fuji, and Canon is on last place (lol)...

The 50-65 years old spectators prefer with 58% the Fuji color science...

Plus exceptional build quality + a very good customer care and (repair) service (speaking for Germany) + a nice and affordable lens collection. Fujifilm is miles ahead from the crappy Sony hybrid playticky cameras image capturing devices - which I own and shoot (mainly because of their dedicated video cameras offerings and insane low light capabilities of their A7R / A7S xyz line). 

Last but not least: It's a pleasure (for me) to shoot a X-T2. Unlike holding the Sony hybrid shit in my hands...But as I need their dedicated video devices and beeing in the Sony lens universe, I will have to keep shooting crappy Sony hybrids...

• Super Members
55 minutes ago, Tim Sewell said:

Absolutely right. I am continually amazed by the amount of shadow detail I can bring back in my X-T2 stills (haven't really done much video with them yet - awaiting the spring). Also - and many have said this - upping the ISO brings out noise that really does just look like film grain, with virtually no banding or false colour. I shoot mine at 800 most of the time, as it's pretty much noise-free, but one of my presets, based off Classic Chrome, I shoot at a minimum of 6400 and it looks gorgeous!

Agreed. The noise is fine without weird color artefacts even when very aggressively pushed.
I often use iso 4000 to 6400 in decent light just to get a nice grain effect.

5 hours ago, Django said:

Only thing clownish I'm seeing here is your comments I'm afraid.. Do you even have any experience with (latest gen) Fuji X system for video? or is it all based on silly JPG YT shootouts of fruits & charts?!

Here is an ungraded video from an actual real-world DOP giving you the rundown on what i'd agree are some of the IQ highlights for video work:

This is good, and there are many other tests showing great color and a lot of shadow info that can be pulled up in post. For higher contrast stuff Flog gives you some extra room and cuts banding. The XH1 will have Flog internal and double the bitrate of the XT2, so that will certainly improve on what we see now.

This test made me rent the XT2 for a weekend trip to see what its all about. I bought two and a slew of Fuji lenses in the weeks that followed.

Chris

The lates recap on the Fuji: 

4K with 1.17x crop and 30p

4:2:0 in camera

8 bit

200 Mbps (the X-T2 has 100 Mbps)

internal F-Log

---------------------------------------

Face detection available in 4K video (not available on X-T2)

1080 at 120fps (max 60 fps on X-T2)

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-h1-1080-120-fps-face-detection-4k-video-video-specs-recap/

Can anyone read German? There's a PDF of a press release with all the specs and details. I think it says 5.5 stops with IBIS and a 3.69 million dot EVF. If so, nice. Also 4k30p only. Though 120fps and 4k is available in 200Mbit. Spec sheet also has a 2048x1080 HD mode. 673g weight and its still using the 126s battery, so no to the GFX battery.

Price, $1899 USD. Sweet.

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-h1-full-german-press-release-specs-leaked-price-1899-fujfilm-x-t20-gfx-firmware-coming/#disqus_thread

Special features of the FUJIFILM X-H1:
Integrated Image Stabilization (IBIS)
The internal image stabilization system (IBIS), which is being used in an X Series camera for the first time, features three axial acceleration sensors, three axial gyro sensors and a very powerful dual processor, which performs around 10,000 calculations per second based on the measured data. In combination with the effective compensation mechanism, a particularly precise image stabilization and thus an uncompromising image quality is achieved.
5-axis image stabilization is possible with all XF and XC lenses. It is also possible with lenses without their own optical image stabilization stabilization of up to 5.5 EV levels * 1 possible. With the XF lenses already available, stabilization of more than 5 EV levels is achieved with a few exceptions * 2.
This performance is made possible by the use of state-of-the-art production technologies. Thus, the individual components of the image stabilization unit are positioned using a laser measurement, which achieves twice as high precision as with conventional production processes. The inspection and adjustment of each individual camera ensures that the sensor is aligned absolutely parallel to the image plane, as in the case of XSeries models without integrated image stabilization.

For 4K film recordings with a battery grip, the maximum recording time is extended to around 30 minutes.-

recording time without battery grip  ???

@Aussie Ash 4K/15m, 1920/20min, 120 or 100p 6minutes. Also I can not see a headphone jack on the camera. That means, like the previous top Fuji camera, the grip is a necessity for most video uses, adding size/weight. Also, the one battery will be problematic.

Of course I could be wrong, but this is what I make from that.

Sorry, but I can't resist to comment that this try is rather pathetic. Fuji is at least a couple of years behind all the rest. Every manufacturer will have a better video camera soon (or already have).

8 minutes ago, Aussie Ash said:

Recording time with  out battery grip---in 4k is 15 minutes at max 200 mbps.(X-T2 is 10 minutes at max 100 mbps)

full hd  is 20 minutes compared to X-T2 15 minutes

so you need battery grip to extend recording time? this is crap i wanted to like this camera and 20 minutes for hd really?

14 hours ago, Arikhan said:

@webrunner5

I don't own a Fujifilm camera (mainly because they don't offer dedicated video cameras at the moment), but I worked some days with a X-T2 and compared with my Sony and Nikon hybrid cameras. More than that, end of 2017 I've done some polls on German language Social Media sites to find out more about colour preferences of my audience. The results were for me - as a NON-Fuji-owner - quite astonishing:

About 64% of the 16-25 years old spectators say, thy prefer Fuji-Colors (not graded, out of the camera color science) by far more than Nikon, Sony or even Canon. Period.

The 25-40 years old German spectators prefer mostly more neutral / cool colors out of a Sony or Nikon. Then Fuji, and Canon is on last place (lol)...

The 50-65 years old spectators prefer with 58% the Fuji color science...

Plus exceptional build quality + a very good customer care and (repair) service (speaking for Germany) + a nice and affordable lens collection. Fujifilm is miles ahead from the crappy Sony hybrid playticky cameras image capturing devices - which I own and shoot (mainly because of their dedicated video cameras offerings and insane low light capabilities of their A7R / A7S xyz line). 

Last but not least: It's a pleasure (for me) to shoot a X-T2. Unlike holding the Sony hybrid shit in my hands...But as I need their dedicated video devices and beeing in the Sony lens universe, I will have to keep shooting crappy Sony hybrids...

Oh I know they are good. I have had a couple of the older ones. They, along with Olympus probably have the best looking OOC colors there is. And their body layouts are among the best also. I just never could justify the cost of the lenses when I bought mine because there was very few used ones around. I sure can't afford a new camera and a bunch of new lenses to boot.

But I was pulling you guys leg on saying Fuji, Pentax and even the GR II was bad. I have owned all of them at some time along the way. And enjoyed all of them. It is that I am not going to buy any camera anymore that is not also good, well even great at video now and photos.

And I would like to apologize to you guys for what I have previously said. Sorry about that.

@arson519 It is the same sensor causing overheating issues on Sony cameras. At least Fuji has the decency to say clear and loud the truth and not just change the overheating warning and call it a software fix. GH5 is much bigger/wider/heavier on a smaller sensor, to achieve continuous video recording and top video specs.

• Administrators

https://www.eoshd.com/2018/02/fuji-x-h1-cinema-4k-200mbit-hybrid-camera-ibis-rival-gh5/

A Fuji "A6500" basically, but in a bigger body.

However it does have Fuji's colour science and ergonomics.

And the A6500 was already pretty cool.

Then there are the lenses - they're better as well.

I think it's not to be sniffed at... But it falls short of the GH5 and GH5S in terms of overall feature-set and codec. Should have had 10bit.

Interesting. There is a 2048x1080 (2k) mode. 

The specs sound great. Weight is around 670g, so similar to the Sony A9.

Record time limitation is annoying for event shooters. Lack of headphone jack in body is unfortunate too! But these seem to be the only weaknesses of the camera really. Hoping the 120p will be good quality.

OH, great price as well!

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Sorry, but I can't resist to comment that this try is rather pathetic. Fuji is at least a couple of years behind all the rest. Every manufacturer will have a better video camera soon (or already have).

At least they're "trying"? And ahead of Canon! :-P (for some people)