One lens for life...

Snowfun

In response to the “one camera” for life post, I thought it might be fun to ask the same question for a lens. In some ways a more realistic situation as lenses do not become obselete at the same rate as camera technology. 

Me? I’d love to say a Cooke Anamorphic. But I’ve never used one (and am never likely to although it is always added to the Christmas list!). I do like my little Voigtlander 35mm Leica lens - possibly sentimental rather than artistic reasons.

So, you’re allowed a lens. Which one & why?

Tim

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Probably with TRM on that one. Only have the 35mm in addition to the 50mm f/2 E55 very recently, but it's so versatile. You can use it as is, throw it on a focal reducer or use ETC. It's a really solid lens and it's really not big or clunky. Surely you can pick a 25mm f/0.95 (which was tempting to pick!) or something else bright... or something with AF and other electronic control (e-aperture, OIS), but the Leicas have already transcended time and they age like a good wine! All about that rich flavor and character.

59 minutes ago, jase said:

Depends on the format of course, my sweet spot is 40mm FF equiv., although I am currently more in the 35mm area. Still:

FF: Voigtländer 40mm f2.0

S35: Konica Hexanon AR 28mm f1.8

m43: Summilux 15mm f1.7 / Panasonic 20mm f1.7

One lens, One love, One life... my friend ;-)

Great song BTW:

Apologies to Bono Vox, but as much as the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 nothing beats the unique when some_ONE pops up... :-P

3 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Leica R 35mm Summicron or Contax Zeiss 28-85mm f/3.4-4.

How are you using C/Y 28-85? I have a mint one. That I bought when I was hoarding Zeiss lenses. Have been meaning to sell it. But seeing your comment, I wanted to learn more how you are using it and liking it. I might just keep it, then. 

"One lens for life" is even more silly than the one camera for life thread!! No way. 

I'd be tempted to just pick a f/2.8 mid range zoom. 

But nah, going to go edgy and say the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 in Nikon F mount. 

Got to pick a DSLR lens, and not say a fancy high end PL lens, as I will want it not just for filming but stills too. As it is my ONLY lens, for life.

And the f1.8 is a nice boost over f2.8, though giving up reach :-/ Oh well. 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

"One lens for life" is even more silly than the one camera for life thread!! No way. 

I'd be tempted to just pick a f/2.8 mid range zoom. 

But nah, going to go edgy and say the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 in Nikon F mount. 

Got to pick a DSLR lens, and not say a fancy high end PL lens, as I will want it not just for filming but stills too. As it is my ONLY lens, for life.

And the f1.8 is a nice boost over f2.8, though giving up reach :-/ Oh well. 

With the advents of IBIS in everything (which needs focal length information), I feel like the EF mount is actually more future proof with the zooms. Or at least a lot more convenient.

I'd agree on some 35mm 1.4 lens on fullframe... or whatever is equivalent for the camera system. For DSLRs the Sigma 35mm 1.4 is amazing, with MFT I'm running with the Voigtländer 17.5mm 0.95 currently.

You can do pretty much everything with a 35mm and a 85mm (or 28mm/50mmm depending of taste) on Full frame and T2  ,so it s versatile for video.

I would say get the best equivalent of that for your camera system.

My favorite lens so far is the batis 85mm, because it s not too big/heavy, its very sharp across the frame but still have is own look, it focus silent, have stabilization  and is f1.8.

Guys, just pick 1 lens!

If I was about to choose 1 lens per system, that would be quite a big list.

For a lot of years, the Zenith 55mm, Pentax 55/1.8f and the FD 50 1.4f were my favorite ones. The 45mm.1.8f NX replaced all of them at once.

It is pretty obvious that people using the NX1+16-50s known what I am talking about.

I would dare to put it against the magnificent 18-36, as the S is wider, with 2f (almost as close to 1.8f as it gets), and when it starts loosing the edge because of the faster Sigma, it eases the loss a bit, going up to 50mm (24.6-77mm vs 28-54equiv.). Those extra 3 point something mm at the wide end are extremely valuable for my style of shooting, and I can go to a short tele 2.8f range instantly.

I haven't used the Sigma extensively, but I didn't find it that extraordinairy against my NX lens(es). People with more experience to both,.are very welcom to comment.