Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

Does anyone know how to enable the "af mode/mf" function while operating the camera remotely with the app?

It's greyed out for me in the app but works fine when using the camera directly...

59D4DACF-C8B7-4B74-96B6-8050307BAA23.thumb.jpeg.76386901c788083d2dfd510fd4fd61c1.jpeg

I'm really hoping I'm just making some silly mistake?

Does anyone else have this working? Is it possible?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

are you using a manual lens ? Since you also can't change the f-stop

Yes, manual lens.  

What confuses me is that I've got "AF Mode/MF" set to a button on the camera and that works just fine, so why it's not available in the app is confusing..

• Super Members
23 hours ago, kye said:

Does anyone know how to enable the "af mode/mf" function while operating the camera remotely with the app?

It's greyed out for me in the app but works fine when using the camera directly...

59D4DACF-C8B7-4B74-96B6-8050307BAA23.thumb.jpeg.76386901c788083d2dfd510fd4fd61c1.jpeg

I'm really hoping I'm just making some silly mistake?

Does anyone else have this working? Is it possible?

The camera sends the lens capabilities back to the app to let it know which functions to disable.

What you have circled there is the AF selector that opens up the options (multi point, single point etc) when you click it .

It also enables the "manual" focus controls for AF lenses to be accessed when its active by swiping up.

If you put an AF lens on the camera you will see these options appear and then disappear again if you swap to a manual lens.

If you put an AF lens on but your overall focus setting in the camera is MF then this option is also greyed out as, of course, you have no need to change AF modes if you are set to MF.

Thanks @BTM_Pix...

Bummer.  Why they'd use the same icon for a different function is a bit strange, but ok.

I'm back to wondering how to nail critical focus when filming myself with MF lenses.  I'm thinking it's back to either a large TV from the HDMI out or your DIY EVF solution of a 1080p screen for the raspberry Pi, a USB power brick, and a long HDMI cable.  

Can I just buy a Pi screen and hook it up to the GH5 with a long HDMI cable and power it via a USB power brick?  I'm thinking it'll be like a HDMI cable with a large monitor / dongle on the end.. :) 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, kye said:

Thanks @BTM_Pix...

Bummer.  Why they'd use the same icon for a different function is a bit strange, but ok.

I'm back to wondering how to nail critical focus when filming myself with MF lenses.  I'm thinking it's back to either a large TV from the HDMI out or your DIY EVF solution of a 1080p screen for the raspberry Pi, a USB power brick, and a long HDMI cable.  

Can I just buy a Pi screen and hook it up to the GH5 with a long HDMI cable and power it via a USB power brick?  I'm thinking it'll be like a HDMI cable with a large monitor / dongle on the end.. :) 

Yes, it would work exactly like that.

To be honest though, for this application, the path of least resistance would be to buy FieldMonitor for iOS or GMonitor for Android and use your phone.

Both of them tap into the streaming signal as per the Panasonic app but are full screen and have additional focus tools that will make it far easier to do.

A lot less hassle with cabling etc as well.

Cheaper too.

11 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yes, it would work exactly like that.

To be honest though, for this application, the path of least resistance would be to buy FieldMonitor for iOS or GMonitor for Android and use your phone.

Both of them tap into the streaming signal as per the Panasonic app but are full screen and have additional focus tools that will make it far easier to do.

A lot less hassle with cabling etc as well.

Cheaper too.

I'm not seeing the advantage of the apps.. 

The apps are all limited to the 640x360 that the camera sends, the native app goes fullscreen and has the same focus peaking modes available that the camera uses.

I think the problem is that pulling focus at 0.6k simply doesn't have enough resolution.

A 1080p display from the hdmi won't have peaking but at least it would have enough resolution to focus, although a large screen would be better than a small one for that.

This whole thing is is messy and makes me want to side-step the whole thing, which is pretty much the definition of when technology fails us....

5 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Really enjoying the flexibility of the 10-25mm f/1.7. It's a great lens when you can use the Ex-Tele features of the GH5 or GH5S.

GH5S only allows Ex-Tele in 1080p modes but that offers a 2.7x enhancement and makes the 10-25 a very flexible lens in this mode. The GH5 can get a 1.4x enhancement in 4K.

When I was using the Sigma 18-35 on my 700D with ML I had a similar setup with the punch-in feature, making the lens a 29-56 and something like a 90-180mm in crop mode.

If ML was more reliable and the setup had IS then I might still be shooting with it. It was pretty heavy, but the flexibility was great.

• Super Members
27 minutes ago, kye said:

I'm not seeing the advantage of the apps.. 

The apps are all limited to the 640x360 that the camera sends, the native app goes fullscreen and has the same focus peaking modes available that the camera uses.

I think the problem is that pulling focus at 0.6k simply doesn't have enough resolution.

As I said, the apps have additional tools beyond what the Panasonic app does though and this mitigates the lower resolution for me.

FieldMonitor is more comprehensive but Gmonitor has the same edge detect function.

The only solutions if you want to maintain the resolution is to either use cable and a regular field monitor that has its own focus peaking or my current pimping product of choice the CineEye which will give you a combination of both 1080p quality and wireless transmission to an app with the extra focus tools.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

As I said, the apps have additional tools beyond what the Panasonic app does though and this mitigates the lower resolution for me.

FieldMonitor is more comprehensive but Gmonitor has the same edge detect function.

The only solutions if you want to maintain the resolution is to either use cable and a regular field monitor that has its own focus peaking or my current pimping product of choice the CineEye which will give you a combination of both 1080p quality and wireless transmission to an app with the extra focus tools.

OK, that makes more sense.

Gotta love it when tech people take some kind of information and squeeze the absolute bejeebers out of it to make it semi-useful!

I'm not sure how this AF Near / Far Shift works. I assigned them to buttons and it seems to trigger a refocus but there is no indication on screen that it is in this mode when recording and in AF-C mode. Any ideas from people that have updated?

EDIT: I’m worried the Near/Far shift is only AF-S and not AF-C, meaning it doesn’t tell the camera to ignore near objects when in Far Shift mode in AF-C and vice versus. The updated manual doesn’t really clarify either.

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Just got a cheap GH5 off ebay. $640 shipped, but the dude has no battery and wasn't sure if it works lol. Wish me luck. 

Good luck!

I can confirm that “Near/Far Shift AF” only operates in the AF-S mode. It behaves exactly like using the AF-On button except it will give the camera more information about your “intent” and ignore potential focus subjects in either the near or far plane.

It does not act like a focus limiter in AFC.

This is kinda disappointing for me as I thought in AFC it would act like a type of focus limiter. Say you are vlogging in AFC. You press AF Near Shift Focus On and it would acquire focus in AFS—favoring near subjects—lock focus, switch back to AF-C and then continue to favor near subjects and ignore potential far subjects after that. In essence giving the camera a focus limit or a fence to work in based on the initial Near/Far shift AF button press. “Focus on my face, ignore far subjects, but if something nearer to the camera comes into frame try to focus on it, when it leaves frame try to acquire focus but don’t try to focus on something passed my face (or the distance my face was when I pressed the AF Shift button). This would mitigate the dreaded focus drift and back focus problems. 

I really do appreciate the update but the auto focus update is underwhelming. I probably shouldn't have expected too much from the near/far shift AF but it was very, very dodgy in my tests. I found I got better results without it, in part because I have gotten used to knowing how to get the most out of AF as it was before and partly because it's just not implemented very well. It needs larger objects to work. When using it on a chain link fence and then tree branches it didn't work very well at all, it still wanted to focus on the background. It's not very useful if you can only really do it with any level of confidence with large objects. You can do essentially the same thing using single point auto focus. 

Really appreciate the focus peaking in AF though! 

• 2 weeks later...

Everything shot hand-held, mostly 4k60 and some rare 120fps shots. I love how you can do almost gimbal-like shots with 4k60 on GH5. I dont like 120p most of the time as it is too slow for my taste and overused. But those other filmakers which are using Sony and Canon dont have much choice if they want something as smooth. Suggest watching it in 4k.