Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

As I said, the apps have additional tools beyond what the Panasonic app does though and this mitigates the lower resolution for me.

FieldMonitor is more comprehensive but Gmonitor has the same edge detect function.

The only solutions if you want to maintain the resolution is to either use cable and a regular field monitor that has its own focus peaking or my current pimping product of choice the CineEye which will give you a combination of both 1080p quality and wireless transmission to an app with the extra focus tools.

OK, that makes more sense.

Gotta love it when tech people take some kind of information and squeeze the absolute bejeebers out of it to make it semi-useful!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm not sure how this AF Near / Far Shift works. I assigned them to buttons and it seems to trigger a refocus but there is no indication on screen that it is in this mode when recording and in AF-C mode. Any ideas from people that have updated?

EDIT: I’m worried the Near/Far shift is only AF-S and not AF-C, meaning it doesn’t tell the camera to ignore near objects when in Far Shift mode in AF-C and vice versus. The updated manual doesn’t really clarify either.

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Just got a cheap GH5 off ebay. $640 shipped, but the dude has no battery and wasn't sure if it works lol. Wish me luck. 

Good luck!

I can confirm that “Near/Far Shift AF” only operates in the AF-S mode. It behaves exactly like using the AF-On button except it will give the camera more information about your “intent” and ignore potential focus subjects in either the near or far plane.

It does not act like a focus limiter in AFC.

This is kinda disappointing for me as I thought in AFC it would act like a type of focus limiter. Say you are vlogging in AFC. You press AF Near Shift Focus On and it would acquire focus in AFS—favoring near subjects—lock focus, switch back to AF-C and then continue to favor near subjects and ignore potential far subjects after that. In essence giving the camera a focus limit or a fence to work in based on the initial Near/Far shift AF button press. “Focus on my face, ignore far subjects, but if something nearer to the camera comes into frame try to focus on it, when it leaves frame try to acquire focus but don’t try to focus on something passed my face (or the distance my face was when I pressed the AF Shift button). This would mitigate the dreaded focus drift and back focus problems. 

I really do appreciate the update but the auto focus update is underwhelming. I probably shouldn't have expected too much from the near/far shift AF but it was very, very dodgy in my tests. I found I got better results without it, in part because I have gotten used to knowing how to get the most out of AF as it was before and partly because it's just not implemented very well. It needs larger objects to work. When using it on a chain link fence and then tree branches it didn't work very well at all, it still wanted to focus on the background. It's not very useful if you can only really do it with any level of confidence with large objects. You can do essentially the same thing using single point auto focus. 

Really appreciate the focus peaking in AF though! 

Everything shot hand-held, mostly 4k60 and some rare 120fps shots. I love how you can do almost gimbal-like shots with 4k60 on GH5. I dont like 120p most of the time as it is too slow for my taste and overused. But those other filmakers which are using Sony and Canon dont have much choice if they want something as smooth. Suggest watching it in 4k.

DAE find it super stupid that the GH5 doesn't record audio for the first like 5 frames or something? One one hand it's cool that they didn't just lag it out and if I need to get a split second shot those frames are there but having to cut each clip's beginning is kinda tedious 

19 minutes ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

DAE find it super stupid that the GH5 doesn't record audio for the first like 5 frames or something? One one hand it's cool that they didn't just lag it out and if I need to get a split second shot those frames are there but having to cut each clip's beginning is kinda tedious 

You know, I'd never noticed that before, but I just checked, and pulled up 3 random shots and the audio kicks in between 7th and 8th frame on the first two, and between 5th and 6th on the third.  What a strange thing!

I'm not sure it would bother me that much for what I do, but I certainly include shots where the first few frames are beneficial, so it's the fact I don't rely on audio much that means it's not a big deal for me.

Does anyone know why this happens?  The delay seems to vary.

1 minute ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

Out of curiosity are you on MOV or MP4 LPCM? 

Those were a mix of 4K MOV and the 5K MP4.  The 5K was 200Mbps mode and the 4K is 150Mbps mode (I haven't got a UHS-II card).

On 12/2/2019 at 9:57 AM, Amazeballs said:

Everything shot hand-held, mostly 4k60 and some rare 120fps shots. I love how you can do almost gimbal-like shots with 4k60 on GH5. I dont like 120p most of the time as it is too slow for my taste and overused. But those other filmakers which are using Sony and Canon dont have much choice if they want something as smooth. Suggest watching it in 4k.

Really nice footage, makes me glad I got one. 

Decided to do a quick test with my newly acquired GH5. 

I am pretty happy with how its doing in these difficult lighting situations. I am also really happy with the GH5 up to 3200 iso, which I was often hitting. I am not a big fan of the Minolta 50mm 1.4. It may just be my copy but the sharpness isn't great until 2.8. I guess thats ok but I've heard people say it is one of the sharpest lens in its class even wide open. Must be a bad/old copy.

I really like Paul Leeming's creative luts as well. The East German LUT and faded film are really nice I think. 

48 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I am not a big fan of the Minolta 50mm 1.4. It may just be my copy but the sharpness isn't great until 2.8. I guess thats ok but I've heard people say it is one of the sharpest lens in its class even wide open. Must be a bad/old copy.

I'm not familiar with the Minolta 50mm 1.4 specifically, but the faster primes are often not so sharp until stopped down 2-3 stops.  That's so common that it's kind of a 'rule' in cinematography.  Some lenses are exceptions, but they're normally the modern / super expensive ones.

14 minutes ago, kye said:

I'm not familiar with the Minolta 50mm 1.4 specifically, but the faster primes are often not so sharp until stopped down 2-3 stops.  That's so common that it's kind of a 'rule' in cinematography.  Some lenses are exceptions, but they're normally the modern / super expensive ones.

Yeah that's usually the case, though I am very happy with my minolta 35mm 1.8 as well as the Nikon 50mm 1.8 wide open. I may try to acquire another copy or maybe try the Minolta 50mm 1.8. 

11 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

I did bring the gimbal with me, but almost have not used it.

I just bought one. The more I use it the more I want a camera that pretty much eliminates the need for it 95% of the time. 

Here is a quick test I did 4 months ago with GH5S and 50-200 f/2.8-4 and Paul Leemings HLG corrective LUTs. It's a straight HLG -> Rec.709 conversion. No additional color grading. All handheld. Mix of 24fps, 60fps, and 120fps (the 120fps is Cine-D).

Posting it here for anyone interested in the lens or camera combination.