Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

25 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

yeah no such settings exist, some not so sticky gaf tape is your best bet.Just out some cardboard on the screen itself so the tape only touches the plastic. 

Doesn't help with the viewfinder or to improve the touchscreen functionality.  It's a pretty weak aspect actually - adding some additional options for this would be pretty easy in software I would think.

How would I go about petitioning Panasonic and would anyone actually listen/care?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, kye said:

Doesn't help with the viewfinder or to improve the touchscreen functionality.  It's a pretty weak aspect actually - adding some additional options for this would be pretty easy in software I would think.

How would I go about petitioning Panasonic and would anyone actually listen/care?

Yeah I agree, I had the guidelines on once but forgot they were there. I imagine it could improve with practice tho

I guess it was overhyped. I dont see a point of getting one with such a shitty AF. Sigma is a bit heavier, gives better and stronger bokeh, better AF for video (!) and costs 500 $ used vs 2000 euro for this one (or 1800$ for lucky chaps in US). The price\efficiency ratio just doesnt cut it. Useless lens. 

Ok, used sigma + Viltrox adapter = 700$ ~ 1 kilo

But Sony FE Tamron 28-75 2.8 = 800$ and it gives better range, perfect AFC and weights TWICE less (550grams) then Sigma+booster combo. Year I know it Sony, but in terms of weights, price and specs it is very comparible if not favorable to Panasonic options

And Pana 10-27 - 1800-2000$ with its 700 grams in the middle. Mehh

Now I have even more reasons to switch to Sony (all thos wonderfull Tamron lenses).. waiting on that A7S3 duh

The only important thing Panasonic still wins over Sony in my bag - is its IBIS. But maybe Sony will improve on it as well. We shall see.

1 hour ago, Amazeballs said:

I guess it was overhyped. I dont see a point of getting one with such a shitty AF. Sigma is a bit heavier, gives better and stronger bokeh, better AF for video (!) and costs 500 $ used vs 2000 euro for this one (or 1800$ for lucky chaps in US). The price\efficiency ratio just doesnt cut it. Useless lens. 

Ok, used sigma + Viltrox adapter = 700$ ~ 1 kilo

But Sony FE Tamron 28-75 2.8 = 800$ and it gives better range, perfect AFC and weights TWICE less (550grams) then Sigma+booster combo. Year I know it Sony, but in terms of weights, price and specs it is very comparible if not favorable to Panasonic options

And Pana 10-27 - 1800-2000$ with its 700 grams in the middle. Mehh

Now I have even more reasons to switch to Sony (all thos wonderfull Tamron lenses).. waiting on that A7S3 duh

The only important thing Panasonic still wins over Sony in my bag - is its IBIS. But maybe Sony will improve on it as well. We shall see.

Why is the video C-AF so bad with the panasonic lens? Is it the camera (gh5?) or the cdaf that is failing? Or just bad AF from the lens? Can't understand why they didn't notice while designing/testing this lens.

31 minutes ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Why is the video C-AF so bad with the panasonic lens? Is it the camera (gh5?) or the cdaf that is failing? Or just bad AF from the lens? Can't understand why they didn't notice while designing/testing this lens.

I think there is something wrong with his lenAF test (wonky settings, bad lens, etc...)

Look at other reviews with this lens with the G9. The autofocus is great. So it leaves me scratching my head. I was going to buy but now not sure. I haven’t seen any other reviews of it with the GH5/S.

Hybrid shooter at the 5:10 mark for AF.

Gordan Lang’s hands on 19:00 for AF.

Update:

Here is one with the GH5S. It’s not s great test.

That looks like a great general-purpose lens.  I really like that it goes wider than ~25mm FF equivalent - my second favourite lens is a 16mm FF equiv which gives those great wides.

If I could only own one lens then that one might be it, but of course, that's not the case, and I like fast primes :) 

54 minutes ago, kye said:

That looks like a great general-purpose lens.  I really like that it goes wider than ~25mm FF equivalent - my second favourite lens is a 16mm FF equiv which gives those great wides.

If I could only own one lens then that one might be it, but of course, that's not the case, and I like fast primes :) 

Well the general consensus is that it is a wide zoom that can take the place of primes, like they said it would. The sharpness, distortion, and flares are extremely well controlled. It has an interesting focal range and a great aperture with pretty decent DoF for m4/3 especially at its longer focal range of 18-25.

I have a GH5S so it would be a 18-45 f1.7 (dof of f3) equivalent FF lens, which really isn’t that bad. This is when shooting 16:9 or 17:9 on the sensor.

Is it worth the premium over the sigma 18-35? That’s my dilemma now. The AF is good to very good when shooting 60p. Seems to be fair to good with 30p. And just OK with 24p.

Geralds video didn’t even exhibit AF ? so not sure what was going on there. 

EDIT: I’ve decided to keep my preorder and do my own tests. I’ll post them here when I get around to it.

10 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Well the general consensus is that it is a wide zoom that can take the place of primes, like they said it would.

I guess that depends on what primes you have - it's definitely not a replacement for the f0.95 (or faster) primes available.

It's the FF equivalent of a 20-50mm F3.4 lens.  Will it be a flexible length? Absolutely.  Will it be a workhorse? Probably.  Will it be a "prime killer"?  Definitely not.

14 hours ago, kye said:

I guess that depends on what primes you have - it's definitely not a replacement for the f0.95 (or faster) primes available.

It's the FF equivalent of a 20-50mm F3.4 lens.  Will it be a flexible length? Absolutely.  Will it be a workhorse? Probably.  Will it be a "prime killer"?  Definitely not.

Well, yes of course. That is among the fastest primes for any system.

The 20-50 on GH5 not on the GH5S when shooting 16:9 or 17:9.

the 10-20 1.7 will replace the 1.4 and 1.7 primes without much downside and more flexibility.

1.2 primes...eh. Maybe not. The 1.2s from Olympus are quite pleasing but also pricey. I’d still prefer the 10-25 for the flexibility.

Good thing about MFT we have lots of options ?

On 8/23/2019 at 3:34 PM, Video Hummus said:

Is it worth the premium over the sigma 18-35?

IMO not, but for a different reason that you might think - it's not EF. The amount of times I rented/borrowed my EF glass to friends, 2nd shooters and even rental places made the lens not only free but it also earned me some cash. 

The amount of times I was asked to borrow/rent m43 glass? zero 

3 hours ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

IMO not, but for a different reason that you might think - it's not EF. The amount of times I rented/borrowed my EF glass to friends, 2nd shooters and even rental places made the lens not only free but it also earned me some cash. 

The amount of times I was asked to borrow/rent m43 glass? zero 

That’s fair. I’m not advocating one way or the other. If you do that and it works, great.

For people who don’t have or want to muck around with adapters this is an option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just arrived.

Going to test it out this evening after work and when I get some free time.

First thing I noticed after snapping it on to my GH5S...its so wide that my 82mm Nd filter (with a 77mm to 82mm step-up ring) heavily vignettes at anything below 12mm. Bummer.

Also, the 50-200 has better build quality. They really tried to control the weight of this lens. Which, btw, is nicely balanced on my GH5S with cage.

2A4E6545-CB1F-445D-BABF-F5E816AC85BD.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Just arrived.

Going to test it out this evening after work and when I get some free time.

First thing I noticed after snapping it on to my GH5S...its so wide that my 82mm Nd filter (with a 77mm to 82mm step-up ring) heavily vignettes at anything below 12mm. Bummer.

Also, the 50-200 has better build quality. They really tried to control the weight of this lens. Which, btw, is nicely balanced on my GH5S with cage.

2A4E6545-CB1F-445D-BABF-F5E816AC85BD.jpeg

Whew that lens is more expensive than a GH5. I hope it's worth the price

So a small update.

After having played around with the lens on firmware 1.2 and now after updating to 1.3 I honestly think there has been an AF performance regression with 1.3.

I was getting acceptable AF performance at 4K 24p prior to 1.3, now its noticeably non responsive in the same shooting scenario (5 mins apart).

When shooting 60p, however, the AF is very snappy and accurate—more so than I remembered.

DfD really likes a higher sample rate.

On first impression the lens is great, like many have said. I can definitely hear and feel the AF motors compared to some other lenses.

The parfocal-ness claims I’ve seen are strange. It doesn’t hold focus when zooming in or out at all.

Focus breathing is non-existent however.

Hoping to put together a video soon. 

5 hours ago, colepat said:

Not sure if this is the best place to post...

But, here are some frames from a shoot I did today with the GH5 as my b-cam (A-cam was a C200- not pictured here). Love this little camera. 

Open to critics as well if you guys have any. 

Cool shots.  The first one looks a little higher exposure on the skin tones than the others, but that's easily fixable.

The GH5 is a real gem, still relevant many years after its release, and even has features that some new release cameras do not (eg, 4k60, or, you know, not overheating).  The 10-bit is a pleasure to work with, even if you don't nail exposure (which I definitely don't).  I really like mine :) 

1 hour ago, kye said:

Cool shots.  The first one looks a little higher exposure on the skin tones than the others, but that's easily fixable.

The GH5 is a real gem, still relevant many years after its release, and even has features that some new release cameras do not (eg, 4k60, or, you know, not overheating).  The 10-bit is a pleasure to work with, even if you don't nail exposure (which I definitely don't).  I really like mine :) 

Thanks for the feedback! Its from the same take as the other on the bottom so maybe I messed up the grade on it. I'll have to take a look. Great catch. Thank you!