Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes - but I'm happy that GH5 is so close to bmppc's  very high pure-image standard :)

In fact, as it were proved in many tests, mimic capability of graded GH5 footage besides Blackmagic or even Red cameras is very respectable.

(So I'm surprised because of widely unbearable longing for GH5s savior - as if at once GH5 becomes incapable tool.)

Anything with the M31 LUT slapped on it disqualifies for any serious or accurate comparison, IMHO . All the more, when the filmmaker neither properly focuses, nor uses IR cut filters on the BM Pocket. 

On 12/30/2017 at 10:14 AM, hyalinejim said:

GH5 at a friend's wedding. A little bit of grain, vignetting, lens blur and digital diffusion... plus a colour treatment based on my experiments with matching colour and contrast with Ektar 100 film.

Wow that was a very special video! They will be a happy couple down the road to have that to look back on. Well done.

On 30/12/2017 at 3:14 PM, hyalinejim said:

GH5 at a friend's wedding. A little bit of grain, vignetting, lens blur and digital diffusion... plus a colour treatment based on my experiments with matching colour and contrast with Ektar 100 film.

Was this shot in Vlog?

On 12/30/2017 at 10:14 AM, hyalinejim said:

@hyalinejim Looks fantastic Mike

Hi all! I’m Giacinto from Italy, new to this forum.

i’m a owner of the GH5 and i have started a petition for add the function of focus transition on the panasonic image app. It would be great for remote controlling the focus pull through A-B-C points with the app, especially when the camera is mounted on a gimbal or on a jib.

https://chn.ge/2CcahBU

If you like this idea, please sign and share!

On 28/12/2017 at 6:54 AM, jonpais said:

@FoxAdriano Assuming you’ve already seen reviews and footage of the Canon and Panasonic, and if you’re still seriously considering purchasing another prosumer camcorder, the C200 and GH5 probably aren’t for you. But let’s play along anyway. First, there’s the cost - are you prepared to shell out over $8,000.00 for a cinema camera? And if you choose either the Panasonic or the Canon, will your computer be powerful enough to edit RAW or 10-bit 400Mbps, the highest quality codecs available on those cameras? Those files will also require considerably more storage space than the XAV S files of the Sony, so you might need to upgrade your external drives as well. So that’s an additional expense. I don’t know which countries you’ll be travelling to, but toting around an expensive cinema camera in the areas you’re talking about might attract unwanted attention. 

There’s really no need here to go into all the advantages and disadvantages of each of the systems, as I’m sure you’re already aware of them. But the first thing you’ll want to do to improve the quality of your videos is to start exerting manual control over exposure and white balance rather than relying on Auto; use an external microphone for better audio; pay close attention to light and composition; and bring along some small battery-powered LED lights for interior shots, and a small reflector for when you have no control over the light. 

Jonpais, thanks for your suggestions. I always made documentaries since I was a boy. Now I'd like to renew everything of my old item: videocamera, PC, software, etc. I need to improve the image quality of my Sony AX100. For that reason I was thinking about GH5. But my concern is not the GH5 quality but about replacing my AX100 videocamera with a camera. I love GH5 but I'm afrai it is not the right item for me. Click on my signature please, so you can see what I make with my camera.

Thanks

On 30/12/2017 at 8:18 AM, Mattias Burling said:

Despite the moire the bmpcc imo still looks better. Still an incredible camera after all these years.

Precisely why I'm selling my GH5. Great image, but my BMPCC is still far ahead. Especially in the rendering of highlights.

So the crop factor in 16:9 UHD mode will be around 1.84x?

I am using a GH5 with the Speed Booster XL at the moment i.c.w. the Sigma 18-35. 
At 18mm there is a very slight vignetting going on in the corners, but because I always add black bars in post this isn't a problem for me. But now with another 10% increase in FOV, the lens might be unusable at 18-20mm. Maybe it will get too soft in the corners too.

Of course there is always the option to zoom in and use the lens only from 20-35mm. But of course the lens becomes also shorter at the tele end. I doubt it will be the perfect lens for this camera and speed booster still. Maybe I should swap the XL for the Ultra version then.

I suppose nobody has tested the GH5s with this combo yet?

15 hours ago, Stab said:

So the crop factor in 16:9 UHD mode will be around 1.84x?

I am using a GH5 with the Speed Booster XL at the moment i.c.w. the Sigma 18-35. 
At 18mm there is a very slight vignetting going on in the corners, but because I always add black bars in post this isn't a problem for me. But now with another 10% increase in FOV, the lens might be unusable at 18-20mm. Maybe it will get too soft in the corners too.

Of course there is always the option to zoom in and use the lens only from 20-35mm. But of course the lens becomes also shorter at the tele end. I doubt it will be the perfect lens for this camera and speed booster still. Maybe I should swap the XL for the Ultra version then.

I suppose nobody has tested the GH5s with this combo yet?

It will end in the same results because of diagonal:

This is inaccurate:

https://www.43rumors.com/exact-crop-factors-caluclated-new-gh5s-multiaspect-sensor/