Jump to content

An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds


Recommended Posts

I do wonder what the reason is for Panasonic and Olympus being unable to deploy a decent phase detection AF on to their cameras.  Is it a contractual obligation with Sony for using their sensors? Certain features are disallowed? That's my tinfoil hat theory anyway

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The camera which Panasonic can't decide what to call (GX80 in Europe, GX85 in the US and GX7 Mark II in Japan!) really excites me. It's the first time that anyone has put 5 axis in-body stabilisa

My first project with the GX80. Since size / weight does matter and securities are kinda picky, i had no choice but to leave my lovely Voigtländer 25 lens at home and put the Panasonic 20mm on it. I h

The GX80 is meeting my expectations for run & gun. I think this shoot exemplifies expectations one can have of this camera for your quick, set-it-up and shoot style videos… family, street, etc.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Inazuma said:

I do wonder what the reason is for Panasonic and Olympus being unable to deploy a decent phase detection AF on to their cameras.  Is it a contractual obligation with Sony for using their sensors? Certain features are disallowed? That's my tinfoil hat theory anyway

VERY likely. Like Olympus was contractually prevented from having 4k video on their cameras. 

I think Panasonic should Hurry Up with their Sensor Development or just pick up a Sensor Maker. The camera world's dependence on sensors and other companies is bad for everyone. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mercer said:

Was that shot with IBIS? If so... Damn. If not... Damn that's a nice image for such at tiny camera. 

I totally agree. I've been shooting for the past two weekends with the gx80 and the two Panasonic f2.8 zooms with dual-IS. Great combination for stills and video.

On 24 May 2016 at 2:58 AM, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

I LOVE this feature on my GX7 - for stills. When using my EM5 II for stills, I change the lenses a lot, and when using some manual lenses I almost always forgot to change the focal length.

What should the settings be for stabilisation if it doesn't match your focal length?  For example if I have a set of 17/25/42.5 primes, I have the stabilisation presets on the GX80 set to 16/24/40mm - I'm guessing that is close enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23 May 2016 at 11:02 PM, Andrew Reid said:

I swear Panasonic have tweaked the colour since the GH4. I am getting much more Canon-like results from the GX85. New image processor?

It is definitely different than what I see from my LX100 and possibly my G7 (although I haven't shot as much with it).  I will try to get my son to sit still for a few minutes near a couple of colour charts with all three cameras this afternoon.

I'm glad to hear that the GX80 JPEGs are nice now - I will have to shoot JPEG+RAW and take a look.  I've been using exiftool (exiftool -model="DMC-G7" -ext rw2 Desktop/test-exif/) to change the camera type to G7 as that was the most recent Panasonic camera RAW which is supported by OSX and Lightroom, I think.

The RAW files on the LX100 were pretty good, but the JPEG output was weak.  JPEG processing was one of the reasons I was staying with Olympus (along with the IBIS).  Panasonic also has had a decent RAW to JPEG converter in camera at least back to the LX100 (I don't remember if it was on the GX7).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2016 at 7:34 AM, trafficarte said:

Does the GX80 overheating issues?

Yesterday by mistake I pushed the record button on my camera while having a drink on a terrace in Tokyo (28c here). The camera was on the table and 30 minutes later when I took the camera I was wandering why it was "hot"... have been recording for a good half hour by mistake!! So to answer your question, it can do FOR sure record 30 minutes without any problems and this despite being under Tokyo's sun!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bigfried said:

heres the link for more info  : 

https://vimeo.com/167441134

 

Shot with the Panasonic Lumix GX80 / GX85 while testing it for hybridcams.fr
Handheld + Stabilisation applied in post
4K UHD - 24p - MP4
Panasonic 12-35 mm f/2.8 | Panasonic 35-100 mm F2.8 | Panasonic 100-400 mm F/4.0-6.3

 

 

 

Yeah, I searched for it on Vimeo last night. It's interesting that he used the IBIS and post stabilization. You can't get more steady with a tripod than those shots. What I really liked about it is the color and contrast. 

I think @Andrew Reid is right... The color looks like some of the samples from 1DXii... Specifically that video with the guy and girl on the motorcycle. 

Looks great. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Inazuma said:

I do wonder what the reason is for Panasonic and Olympus being unable to deploy a decent phase detection AF on to their cameras.  Is it a contractual obligation with Sony for using their sensors? Certain features are disallowed? That's my tinfoil hat theory anyway

Em1 had the best mirrorless PADF focusing when it was released and it's still very fast, I'd expect the mkII to get a significant upgrade after a couple years. Seems like they're using that as a way to keep it above the Em5 and Pen's  

Fuji has a huge PADF array on the Xpro2, while not as advanced as the a6300, it's still really good. 

The Nikon DL's have PADF and 4k using the RX100 sensor, Sony doesn't even have that, though I expect we'll see it in the soon to be released RX100mk5. 

Panasonic's DFD would really benefit form PADF. Not surprised it's not on the new GX as its a budget model. I'm sure we'll see it on the GH5. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, could any of you with the GX80/85 let me know: What do you think is better: a non IS lens with GX80 IBIS, or standard lens IS without IBIS.

I currently own a G7, and thinking of buying a lens or two. IS lenses come it at a lot more money typically, so wondering if I were to get, say... a standard zoom without IS and a GX80 how it would hold up?

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ThomHaig said:

Hey guys, could any of you with the GX80/85 let me know: What do you think is better: a non IS lens with GX80 IBIS, or standard lens IS without IBIS.

I currently own a G7, and thinking of buying a lens or two. IS lenses come it at a lot more money typically, so wondering if I were to get, say... a standard zoom without IS and a GX80 how it would hold up?

If your main objective is shooting video, I still say a good old manual prime lens is the way to go.

And honestly, the more "flawed" the better. I like an image with character. 

Thats my bias anyway. I desire my stuff to have a different look about it and funky old glass helps. Plus, it's cheap. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, bigfried said:

heres the link for more info  : 

https://vimeo.com/167441134

 

Shot with the Panasonic Lumix GX80 / GX85 while testing it for hybridcams.fr
Handheld + Stabilisation applied in post
4K UHD - 24p - MP4
Panasonic 12-35 mm f/2.8 | Panasonic 35-100 mm F2.8 | Panasonic 100-400 mm F/4.0-6.3

 

 

 

This was not shot entirely handled, right? Only a few shots... 

Well done, but it seems that the GX80/85/7MKII is not so good in Low Light and there are few artefact on your footage too (I just food this out today). Still a great camera, but I will keep on using it as a B-came.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

All handheld, 5 axis IS and warp stabilizer in PP.

[From his comments on Vimeo in french:

EmericPRO3 days ago

Merci Cyril ! La stabilisation doit beaucoup au système de stabilisation 5 axes du GX80. Pour parfaire la stab, j'ai utilisé l'outil de stabilisation de Première Pro CC (Warp stabilizer ou en français Stabilisation de déformation), qui en effet fonctionne très bien.]

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

If your main objective is shooting video, I still say a good old manual prime lens is the way to go.

And honestly, the more "flawed" the better. I like an image with character. 

Thats my bias anyway. I desire my stuff to have a different look about it and funky old glass helps. Plus, it's cheap. 

Thanks! Yeah, I'm imagining the GX80 ibis in combination with a nice Canon Prime would be a nice combination. It'd be good to get kit that's good for both stills and video, and it would suck to pay out for an expensive Canon IS zoom lens only to find out that it's either incompatible with the dual IS system, or I'm better off ignoring the lens IS and just using the in camera stabilisation exclusively.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jai2yeux said:

All handheld, 5 axis IS and warp stabilizer in PP.

[From his comments on Vimeo in french:

EmericPRO3 days ago

Merci Cyril ! La stabilisation doit beaucoup au système de stabilisation 5 axes du GX80. Pour parfaire la stab, j'ai utilisé l'outil de stabilisation de Première Pro CC (Warp stabilizer ou en français Stabilisation de déformation), qui en effet fonctionne très bien.]

I am speech less, I cannot achieve such level of stabilisation on mine with the same setting. Granted I am on FFCPx not PP

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mercer said:

Try Lock&Load by CoreMelt. 

Doing this as we speak ;-)

1 minute ago, mercer said:

Try Lock&Load by CoreMelt. 

Tested all Stabilisation available in FCPx plys Lock&Load, with my camera mounted on the 12-35 and I cannot achieve such level of stab with Dual IS

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...