Jump to content

So What Will You Do ?


BTM_Pix
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Super Members

My municipality is now in lockdown with travel restricted in and out and all bars, cafes, restaurants and leisure facilities closed.

I'm pretty sure that it will last much longer than the 14 days currently decreed by the regional President and that we won't be fully back to normal for many months.

Being confined to the house isn't too much of an issue for us work wise as we both work from here anyway (though boy did I get out of being a professional sports photographer at the right time as I would be fucked) but it does mean needing something else to fill up the non-working hours to stop us getting cabin fever.

I'm guessing that a lot of people on here might well be about to experience similar confinement if they aren't already, so, trying to make lemonade out of lemons, what long put off projects will you be doing ?

For me, aside from finishing a couple of the latter Final Fantasy games to get me sharp for the release of the VII remake next month ;) , I think I might look at :

  • Making a start on learning some Unreal Engine stuff
  • Re-wiring/configuring my music studio
  • Having a couple of lens world cup shootouts to try and thin the collection
  • Developing a wireless interface for BM ATEM switchers
  • Advanced urban combat tactics for hand sanitiser purchasing

Be interesting to see what people are planning and seeing how those plans progress here to keep our spirits up ?

Might even be a good time to have a "One Single Room In Your House Film Challenge" ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@BTM_Pix

I know you didn't explicitly call for it, but "Having a couple of lens world cup shootouts to try and thin the collection" gets my vote!

The One Room challenge isn't too bad either :)

We're not on lockdown over here, but who knows what will happen.  Our arc with this thing is just beginning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Members
11 minutes ago, kye said:

I know you didn't explicitly call for it, but "Having a couple of lens world cup shootouts to try and thin the collection" gets my vote!

 

'World Cup' was probably the wrong term as they are only held once every 4 years and I've managed to hoard enough lenses over the years to make it a daily event !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Members
6 minutes ago, Grimor said:

My vote goes for "Advanced urban combat tactics for toilet paper purchasing" 🤣

I've bought so much of it that when the lockdown is lifted I'll be having to do some urban combat tactics for laxative purchasing to make sure I get the stockpile down !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

(though boy did I get out of being a professional sports photographer at the right time as I would be fucked) but it does mean needing something else to fill up the non-working hours to stop us getting cabin fever.

 

Yeah I do sports videography, shit has me fucked up RN. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not only have I lost multiple jobs and screenings at this point, but my wife and I's supplemental income as landlords looks like it might be in jeopardy too, depending on what politicians do.  

Yikes.

The US is going to get rocked hard by this all around.  If we are where Italy is 2 weeks from now, it ain't likely to be pretty. My opinion is that life in the USA is pretty much random cultural nonsense anyway, with people in power operating with fear rather than our citizen's best interest.  

What happened yesterday at the White House was just another paper cut, just a longer stroke.  "It's national emergency time all of a sudden!  Pretend everything I've said over the past 4 weeks about COVID is irrelevant. And here are a bunch of corporate CEO standing behind me for some bullshit reason!  I'm not responsible!"  

I'm pretty damn cynical about society right about now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I'm pretty damn cynical about society right about now.

is this including the ufo topic or no

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a30916275/government-secret-ufo-program-investigation/

seriously tho: this time is a gift to artists who have a project that they wanna work on, but just cant seem to find the time for~! if ppl weren't dying itd be a miracle smh

*IM* writing the spec script + story bible I've been meaning to get to..... for how long now??

these things don't write themselves 😂 great time to hunker down and be creative 😎 no reason for any of us to be bored...! let's do it guys!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well on a more positive note. We can see from China and S.Korea that when you tackle the problem head on with tests and restrictions you do seem to get it under control within a month to 6 weeks - hopefully numbers in Italy will start to come down.

Also a major panic in the asset markets, should mean we get some great investment opportunities for those that have some cash....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Robert Collins said:

Well on a more positive note. We can see from China and S.Korea that when you tackle the problem head on with tests and restrictions you do seem to get it under control within a month to 6 weeks - hopefully numbers in Italy will start to come down.

Also a major panic in the asset markets, should mean we get some great investment opportunities for those that have some cash....

It's rather true...

There's a big problem with this pandemic as far as I've heard from a few medical experts yesterday night because patients in serious / critical condition, they need mechanical ventilation to survive and struggle against the respiratory infection.

Medical staff, they have to choose who lives and dies for handling the increasing number of people with the disease in the dozens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) figures. There's no people nor material to face such tragedy.

This is absolutely a drama without precedents... A war situation in peace period but towards an invisible enemy of the human race.

 

Keep safe, buddies! : ) Better to not get sick this time...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Might even be a good time to have a "One Single Room In Your House Film Challenge" ;) 

Yesss. Maybe a 1 room, 2 people (max), eoshd short film contest (maybe Andrew can open it to other people, under house arrest, too). And preferably under 10 mins. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not on lockdown and even If I am, I live in a rural area so will still have plenty of freedom. But I have lost about $20K of work already from events being cancelled. These are the returning annual gigs that I depend on each year, so losing them is a big hit.

My plan is to teach myself everything I can about live streaming so I can start to market myself as someone who can solve the problem that a lot of events are currently experiencing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Members
24 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Yesss. Maybe a 1 room, 2 people (max), eoshd short film contest (maybe Andrew can open it to other people, under house arrest, too). And preferably under 10 mins. 

It will double up as a worldwide wide angle lens test as well !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Not only have I lost multiple jobs and screenings at this point, but my wife and I's supplemental income as landlords looks like it might be in jeopardy too, depending on what politicians do.  

Yikes.

The US is going to get rocked hard by this all around.  If we are where Italy is 2 weeks from now, it ain't likely to be pretty. My opinion is that life in the USA is pretty much random cultural nonsense anyway, with people in power operating with fear rather than our citizen's best interest.  

What happened yesterday at the White House was just another paper cut, just a longer stroke.  "It's national emergency time all of a sudden!  Pretend everything I've said over the past 4 weeks about COVID is irrelevant. And here are a bunch of corporate CEO standing behind me for some bullshit reason!  I'm not responsible!"  

I'm pretty damn cynical about society right about now.

I was expecting him to turn around, point at one of them and say: "It is that guys fault. Don't know who he is. Never met him in my life"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Members
1 hour ago, barefoot_dp said:

My plan is to teach myself everything I can about live streaming so I can start to market myself as someone who can solve the problem that a lot of events are currently experiencing.

If you haven't already, I'd offer a nudge towards investing some of that research time into NDI.

Although its core use is to simplify video connections into a hardware or software switcher via a LAN (there are hardware adapters and apps to bring in regular cameras, PTZ cameras, phones and computers) with low latency, it also means that the sources and the switcher can be in entirely different locations using an NDI cloud service.

As PTZ is part of the protocol this means you can do full remote production without requiring operators at the event.

A lot of information is generally skewed towards Newtek switchers (as they invented the protocol) but there are much more affordable software options such as vMix that integrate it.

https://www.ndi.cloud/secure.html

https://www.vmix.com/ndi/

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, barefoot_dp said:

I'm not on lockdown and even If I am, I live in a rural area so will still have plenty of freedom. But I have lost about $20K of work already from events being cancelled. These are the returning annual gigs that I depend on each year, so losing them is a big hit.

My plan is to teach myself everything I can about live streaming so I can start to market myself as someone who can solve the problem that a lot of events are currently experiencing.

A lot of people have been asking why we're not all working remotely by now, considering the tech has been there for years, and it's been obvious the barrier is humans not machines.  I wonder if this will have had a significant effect on that barrier, by the time we're done at least.

It's a good idea to use the time for educating ourselves for something that will serve us well down the road.  The photography / videography market is changing rapidly, and in "change or die" markets it's typical to see people who change, and to see the people who don't survive be the ones that are bitter about it.  

There's always an upside, if we can just find it :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...