in Global Shutter Mode

REDCODE Raw recording options

Anamorphic support

CFast 2.0 recording media

first RED camera to use non-proprietary media

Komodo is both the name of the new sensor and camera body

Komodo is not DSMC2 or replacement for it

Not DSMC3 either: it’s an auxiliary camera in the lineup

4K SDI output (can be 6G or 12G-SDI, that’s TBD)

3.5mm audio in, headphone jack

2 x Canon BP style battery slots, hot-swappable

Top touchscreen menu and live-view display

Wi-Fi for remote camera control and monitoring

Cube-like form-factor, smallest RED camera to date

Release sometime in 2020

https://www.4kshooters.net/2019/11/19/red-komodo-6k-anamorphic-global-shutter/

Price: $5K-6K or slightly more

Hydrogen get’s you some sort of discount

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Definitely out of my budget, but I am glad to see another foray into global shutter. Sounds like it will be global/rolling switchable based on the language Land used. I don't think any other cameras have that? Blacknagic tried with the Ursa 4.6k and cancelled it (though their later G2 update has such low rs it's global in all but name). I wonder if it is a global shutter sensor, or whether they use some other technology like their old motion mount.

I wonder if they are using a Sony Semi. Sensor for the Komodo and future “budget” friendly red cameras and selling the name and perhaps color science and ecosystem.  

If the dynamic range is good and it has REDCODE and I’m not locked into buying silly overpriced red branded junk accessories I would be very interested. And I’m a hobbyist enthusiast.

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

I wonder if they are using a Sony Semi. Sensor for the Komodo and future “budget” friendly red cameras and selling the name and perhaps color science and ecosystem.  

If the dynamic range is good and it has REDCODE and I’m not locked into buying silly overpriced red branded junk accessories I would be very interested. And I’m a hobbyist enthusiast.

They said on the red forums that it was all designed in house, but they will use someone else's "oven"

I think they also need a solid semi mainstream hit after that smartphone fiasco plus all the recent bad press they got. 

Some of those revelations like the cheap rebranded SSDs etc could honestly sink sales from such a niche company.

It sounds like an effort to avoid criticism that they are now using non proprietary media storage.

Anyways, this may well be my first RED product ownership and that does get me excited. Can’t wait for some more details..

2020 is shaping up to be one of the more exciting years for cameras in recent memory - if a majority of the rumored cameras come out. We know for sure we will have the FX9, Canon C500 mark ii, Red Komodo, and Canon 1DX III. And there is a chance we get a good chunk of these rumored cameras finally released, being the FX6, A7S3 (finally?), Ursa Mini 8k, Fuji XT4, and GH6. I haven't heard many rumors of a Canon prosumer mirrorless camera with IBIS and good video specs - but if they continue to let folks like Red use their RF mount - that is a good start for their new mount. I am curious if folks like Blackmagic will start using it as well. The more competition the better, since all of us can reap the benefits.  

8 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Looks like RED is getting worried about all the cheap alternatives out now or maybe they just want to expand their reach. Either way if it has great AF it will be amazing. Just the name might get me to buy one at that price. 

Yeah exactly, if the price is right I might get one too. Just the name RED gets you hired more then using canon/panasonic/sony/blackmagic. And I would not mind that highlight rolloff and the well known colour science/image. 

This camera is going to be huge if they get a few things right. Battery choice is perfect. Non-proprietary media is awesome. Large then Suoer35 sensor for 1.3x (or so) crop. RF Mount with variable ND or speedbooster means full-frame at 5K. Redcode is still the friendliest raw format for file size or quality. Love the size and modularity for gimbal or handheld or travel work. Can use a host of monitors. RF lenses are getting better and better. PDAF could be incredilble, but we'll see what Red can do in this arena. 

Of all the cameras I've used, the Red Helium and Gemini still have the best image quality by far. So throw that into the mix. Excited for this camera. 

35 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

what’s the catch.

Maybe they're just shifting their sales strategy?  I can imagine that they don't have as much market penetration in the upscale market as they need to sustain, so they're going for a new segment?  If so, other models could take a hit, but they have to do it.