Panasonic G9 Becomes GH5, almost.

Brother

On November 19th the G9 will almost become a GH5 with the 2.0 firmware, which includes:

"3. Enhanced video functions (G9)

・4K 30p/25p 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording is supported.

・4K 60p/50p 4:2:2 10-bit HDMI output is supported.

・Luminance level for 10-bit video is supported.

・VFR (Variable Frame Rate) shooting is supported (FHD 2-180 fps/4K 2-60 fps).

・HDR video recording is supported.

・V-Log L recording and Waveform Monitor (WFM) are available with the Upgrade Software Key DMW-SFU1 (sold separately)."

Diving a bit deeper, could this be an indication that Panasonic is getting ready to announce the GH6? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

These updates definitely make the G9 a more capable video camera, especially for the price. If they'd been able to get rid of the recording limit I'd have heavily considered getting one to replace my G85 for event shooting.

The GH5/GH5s still has the advantage with their professional video/cine features, but the G9 has definitely been turned into a little beast of a camera. 

14 minutes ago, Fatalfury said:

This makes G9 very appealing but with all these improvements they should also remove recording time limit (30min in 25/30p, 10 min in 50/60p).

And no 10bit in 24p? 

I'm guessing the recording limit is still necessary to prevent overheating?

These updates though remind me how much Panasonic fumbled the G95. Outside of the recording limit this pretty much makes the G9 a superior video camera than the G95 for essentially the same price, no? Plus you get the impressive stills capabilities to boot.

2 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

More likely to be to do with tax laws I would have thought.

Not the for the 10 minute 4k 50/60p limit.

As a G9 owner I'm quite looking forward to the update - and yes, having waited for the G90 to arrive in the market a while back, it wasn't a hard choice to buy a G9 instead, the 4k 50/60 capability and top-notch IBIS is far more important to me than the extended record times of the G90...and I paid less for the G9 than I would have for a G90 ?.

The G9 for $1150 is now a better run and gun camera than the GH5 with the better IBIS and HLG (or V-LogL).

Kinda disappointed GH5S didn’t get more highlight features like more recording options, higher bitrates, or new capabilities, but improved autofocus is always nice. The Near/Far AF might come in extremely clutch when using these cameras on a gimbal.

24 minutes ago, abehalpert said:

They're not gonna put internal raw on the S1 if they can't put it on the S1H (which only has SD card slots)....but I hope I'm wrong! They just fixed 2 of the only drawbacks I have with my darling S1: the v-log clipping and the HFR exposure control... Zowie!

Shocking! A camera company responsive to customer feedback.

Massive kudos need to be given to Panasonic here for listening and delivering on what their customers are saying. No cripple hammer here. 

Solid updates! What I like with Panasonic is that they seem to keep updated on critique that is written on social media/forums.

Quite big that they went a total u-turn on the HFR exposure limitation on the S1, as they not long ago defended it as a clear differentiation from the S1H. But I think this was the right move, it makes the S1 a bit more appealing again.

Wow, I was looking for a second camera to pair with my S1, especially for wildlife photos and videos, as the adapted long lenses via MC-21 are not very useful and L-mount long lenses are not there yet. I thought about buying a canon mount lens (canon 100-400, 400 f5.6 prime, sigma 150-600 or 100-400...) plus a GH5 or Canon 90D and share the lens with the S1...
But this announcement changes everything ! With Panasonic cashback and sales, I can buy  a G9  and a panasonic leica 200mm F2.8 + tc, for around 1700€  !! Quite crazy... I may take that route and have this awesome lens constantly glued on the G9 !

(No @Andrew Reid, I am not a "wild boar pig lovers" ? , and yes, I will remember for long these one ahah).

Time to dust off my G9. I am really looking forward to giving this new firmware a try. I will miss however the service hack with vers. 1.2 that allows unlimited recording length. Maybe the new firmware will surprise us and include that too. I have never had any issues with running 4k 60p for an hour with the G9. I think it was purposely limited to differentiate it from the GH5.

Best ergonomics on a camera I have every owned. Also the built-in IS is superb.

When these cameras were not out yet, a few years back, I thought that Panasonic should pack video-feats in the G9 just like upcoming GH5.

At the time I though the GH5 would be something like the GH5s but with IBIS, so it would offer better low-light like the A7S line up, better rolling shutter and readout speed but the G9 could still offer compatible V-log L capabilities to work as a B-cam for video. That way, you could have higher-res pics with the G9 and better video with the GH5 and they would complement each other pretty nicely, in a similar way Sony does.

In the end the G9 didn't get the video-feats - well, until now -, the G9 and GH5 ended up sharing the same 20MP sensor and there was a separated GH5s with better low light, multi-aspect sensor and no IBIS.

Panasonic has backed down from the early promise of 8K by 2020 for the GH6, they showed their 8K camera with organic sensor, but from what I've read, it's a power hungry sensor, so it doesn't look like the technology is quite ready for consumers cameras. Will the GH6 or G10 come with ToF AF?

G10:

• higher MP count
  • IBIS
  • reliable continuous AF for sports
  • high-speed and high-capacity buffer
  • maybe dual-gain circuit if they can
  • 4K 10-bit

GH6: 

• new 20-ish MP sensor
  • dual-gain
  • IBIS
  • 240+fps slow-mo
  • maybe 4K90p or 120p?
  • 4K60p 10-bit internally 
  • reliable AF without hunting/pulsing in video
  • S1H's hinge/fully articulated screen
  • at least the same RAW recording as the S1H

It seems like a reasonable list, the major doubts are the new sensors and ToF AF or PDAF, but if Panasonic can pull that off, they will be a pretty good pair for photo, video and hybrid shooters, enough to keep the Micro4/3 interesting without disrupting their S-series.

I think low light performance is very important so if that means a 12mp sensor I am all for it. 

120fps in 4k is a must, the Z-cam E2 can do 150 and that is the same sensor as the 5S. RAW recording is a must, the Sigma FP can do it to an SSD and so should every camera from this point on IMHO. 

422 10 bit up to 4k 60fps, again the Z cam can already do this. Prores internal recording should really happen. 

Full vlog is a must and of course IBIS.