Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wolf33d

2019, exciting video gear and 4K60 for all

Recommended Posts

With great surprises already in and more to come I would say this is a good year gear wise. 
Nokishita (reliable rumor) confirmed the EOS90D and M6 are coming this month. According to Canon Rumors they will feature 4K60p and FHD 180p and DPAF, which sounds surprising (wait for that 3x crop...). If not in those at least one camera from canon should feature it soon.
It seems confirmed that 2 new E-mount cameras will come on August 28th, including the A6500 replacement with finally 4K60 from Sony. 
The A7SIII as well as a pro body (EOS R X ?) from Canon are due this year as well. 

It will be the year of 4K60p which we will finally see on bodies with IBIS (unlike XT3) and good AF (unlike S1) so that’s great.
This and the massive amount of proper video cameras released this year (E2, Pocket 6K, Red Komodo,...) and it seems that everybody will have a good shoe to their foot. 

2020 is therefore the year I stop complaining about gear on EOSHD, after 3 years of asking 4K60 - good AF - IBIS in an APSC/FF affordable mirrorless camera. 
Or not :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

With great surprises already in and more to come I would say this is a good year gear wise. 
Nokishita (reliable rumor) confirmed the EOS90D and M6 are coming this month. According to Canon Rumors they will feature 4K60p and FHD 180p and DPAF, which sounds surprising (wait for that 3x crop...).

Every year is a great year for equipment now...

And when that 3x crop factor comes out with DPAF and Canon CS, just watch @Andrew Reid put an Angenieux C-mount on it and drive up the price of C-mount lenses again!! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have already peaked.

The XT3 is more than good enough for me, so I bought another and will continue to use them until they either can no longer do the job I need them to do, or they break.

The Sigma FP is the only new/future camera that interests me, but the current me does not need one and I don’t have my life or career on hold until it (or anything else) comes to the market.

10 bit internal 4k 50p shooting Eterna equals or exceeds my expectations and requirements.

Less time in post staring at a monitor screen for one thing!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With big drops in camera sales and revenues, the introduction of 4K60 in affordable mirrorless cameras that previously would not have had it, seems to me to be a sign the camera makers are running scared and now have to start pulling out the stops on features to shore up their rapidly position and reduce or halt the bleeding.

I mean, seriously, when mobile phones can offer half-decent 4K quality for $1000 or less, I can't help but wonder why a company like Canon felt that withholding such a feature from many of their cameras was going to be a viable long-term strategy.

I think Canon will be surprised to discover that their professional cine camera lines will do just fine, as the pros who can afford such cameras aren't interested in shooting with DSLRs or tiny little mirrorless cameras anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2019 at 5:52 PM, wolf33d said:

Nokishita (reliable rumor) confirmed the EOS90D and M6 are coming this month. According to Canon Rumors they will feature 4K60p and FHD 180p and DPAF, which sounds surprising (wait for that 3x crop...).


And 5 minute time limit, with screen blackout during it. 

On 8/10/2019 at 5:52 PM, wolf33d said:

It will be the year of 4K60p which we will finally see on bodies with IBIS


Only YEARS after Panasonic did with their GH5. 

Bet the Panasonic GH6 will crush it when it gets released next year. To reign dominant again like the GH5 has for the next couple of years. 

On 8/10/2019 at 6:12 PM, kye said:

And when that 3x crop factor comes out with DPAF and Canon CS, just watch @Andrew Reid put an Angenieux C-mount on it and drive up the price of C-mount lenses again!! :) 

a) C Mount can't be put on a 90D's EF Mount
b) DPAF doesn't work with a C Mount lens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big advance in 2019 is Japanese manufacturers adopting raw video in one form or another (it only took them 10 years). There's talk of Sony working on a new codec which one would assume is some incarnation of raw developed for the A7S III.

I'm hanging to see the final specs on the Sigma FP; Sigma has added APS-C lenses to the lens graphic on the FP product page, whether it's an APS-C crop or an option remains to be seen, as does the cDNG spec: compression ratios? Rolling shutter? Sigma makes some great lenses and is one of the few manufacturers that still builds AF lenses with actual manual control over the manual focus mechanism 🙄.

Canon: 😂 You can forget about Canon doing anything but rolling out the same tired old shit; Canon will be the last company to adopt raw video for its consumer line and it will do it kicking and screaming.

The Pocket 4K is pretty good, but a Sony, Nikon, Fujifilm, or a Sigma with raw, IBIS, 14 stops, and DPAF like AF will be dreamy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

a) C Mount can't be put on a 90D's EF Mount
b) DPAF doesn't work with a C Mount lens

Err, yes, you are right.  Good points.  Not sure what I was thinking..

Nothing to see here, move along!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, IronFilm said:

 


Only YEARS after Panasonic did with their GH5. 

Bet the Panasonic GH6 will crush it when it gets released next year. To reign dominant again like the GH5 has for the next couple of years. 

 

?

1) That’s M43. Much easier to bring 4K60p on a tiny sensor. My phone has had that before the Gh5... 

2) M43 is not suitable for everybody

3) The GH5 while great in some regards has a ridiculous video AF which is unusable for some video needs like mine

4) the stills while not ridiculous can’t compete with an A7/S1/Z6 type

5) being at the same price of the above mentioned bodies, it better have good specs...

Lastly I was mainly speaking about APSC and FF bodies. I wasn’t saying 2019 is the first year ever bringing 4K60 on any camera..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeap, next gen mirrorless should provide most of the things I need in one package, which are:

Mandatory:

- build in Electronic ND

- 4k60p 10bit

- some extra DR

- IBIS similar to GH5

- flawless AF

And some extra stuff, I'd love to have:

- global shutter

- braw support

- 5 inch 1500 nits fhd swivel touch screen

- bmpcc4k type of menu system

- 4k120p

- even more DR

- addition of EIS similar to GoPro HyperSmooth

Let my dreams come true.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wolf33d said:

?

1) That’s M43. Much easier to bring 4K60p on a tiny sensor. My phone has had that before the Gh5... 

 

Canon is definitely way ahead then, 4K60P on a Full frame camera in 2016.

 

And this thread always bring me laughter, 2 and half years later and the mystical A7SIII still no where to be seen.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 10:52 PM, wolf33d said:

With great surprises already in and more to come I would say this is a good year gear wise. 
Nokishita (reliable rumor) confirmed the EOS90D and M6 are coming this month. According to Canon Rumors they will feature 4K60p and FHD 180p and DPAF, which sounds surprising (wait for that 3x crop...). If not in those at least one camera from canon should feature it soon.
It seems confirmed that 2 new E-mount cameras will come on August 28th, including the A6500 replacement with finally 4K60 from Sony. 
The A7SIII as well as a pro body (EOS R X ?) from Canon are due this year as well. 

It will be the year of 4K60p which we will finally see on bodies with IBIS (unlike XT3) and good AF (unlike S1) so that’s great.
This and the massive amount of proper video cameras released this year (E2, Pocket 6K, Red Komodo,...) and it seems that everybody will have a good shoe to their foot. 

2020 is therefore the year I stop complaining about gear on EOSHD, after 3 years of asking 4K60 - good AF - IBIS in an APSC/FF affordable mirrorless camera. 
Or not :)

If they are using the Digic 8 then the video capabilities are probably not going to exceed the EOS-R. Unless magic is a thing now :)

11 hours ago, The ghost of squig said:

The big advance in 2019 is Japanese manufacturers adopting raw video in one form or another (it only took them 10 years). There's talk of Sony working on a new codec which one would assume is some incarnation of raw developed for the A7S III.

I'm hanging to see the final specs on the Sigma FP; Sigma has added APS-C lenses to the lens graphic on the FP product page, whether it's an APS-C crop or an option remains to be seen, as does the cDNG spec: compression ratios? Rolling shutter? Sigma makes some great lenses and is one of the few manufacturers that still builds AF lenses with actual manual control over the manual focus mechanism 🙄.

Canon: 😂 You can forget about Canon doing anything but rolling out the same tired old shit; Canon will be the last company to adopt raw video for its consumer line and it will do it kicking and screaming.

The Pocket 4K is pretty good, but a Sony, Nikon, Fujifilm, or a Sigma with raw, IBIS, 14 stops, and DPAF like AF will be dreamy.

A new codec from Sony would imply a new processor as well, since the processor does that in hardware. A new processor will also likely bring an increase in other specs, such as frame rate, resolution and bit depth along with the codec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

Yeap, next gen mirrorless should provide most of the things I need in one package, which are:

Mandatory:

- build in Electronic ND

- 4k60p 10bit

- some extra DR

- IBIS similar to GH5

- flawless AF

And some extra stuff, I'd love to have:

- global shutter

- braw support

- 5 inch 1500 nits fhd swivel touch screen

- bmpcc4k type of menu system

- 4k120p

- even more DR

- addition of EIS similar to GoPro HyperSmooth

Let my dreams come true.. 

We are not going to see any form of the ND there isn't enough space. Unless the ND filter is fixed in place in front of the sensor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

We are not going to see any form of the ND there isn't enough space. Unless the ND filter is fixed in place in front of the sensor.

Place it instead mechanical shutter, use global shutter, or replace usual one in a camera aimed at videgrapheres anyway, use on-sensor ND, etc.. I really dont care how they do it, but it needs to be done. Manually switching and dialing NDs is a major pita. Its not such an enormous engeneering challenge if it is on your priority list of things to add in camera. So just do it, ask Shia Labeof help if neccesessary ffs! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

We are not going to see any form of the ND there isn't enough space. Unless the ND filter is fixed in place in front of the sensor.

If they can fit in the E-mount of the FS5 they can fit it into a compact body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

If they can fit in the E-mount of the FS5 they can fit it into a compact body.

FS5 is a good bit taller than the a7 bodies and the EVF doesn't sit right on top of the sensor.

So once again there isn't enough space with these current bodies..

IMG_0591_b.jpg

1519677934_1394217.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...