Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Reid

OSMO Pocket 4K camera with 3 axis gimbal

Image quality is definitely above average for the size.

I can see quite a few uses for one.

Ages ago, back in 2015 when I still lived in Berlin, I took the original OSMO out for a ride and had a hoot with it. Seems to have come a long way since then.

https://www.eoshd.com/2015/12/my-dji-osmo-fairground-shoot-plus-a-mini-review/

No idea what the bigger, newer OSMOs are like but the small Pocket seems to be a lot more popular.

Original thread here:

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've got one and I have to say its pretty nice.

I don't have a fancy phone so it acts in lieu of that for holiday stuff and although the video is the main story, the quality of the stills are actually quite good.

One complaint I have with it is that it seems to have a habit of reverting its settings out of the Pro mode which is a pain in the arse.

I never use it with a phone so maybe that has something to do with it in terms of sync or something but its intermittent.

I've just got some magnetic ND filters for it as it definitely becomes a bit too camcordery in bright light.

The hyperlapse stuff is fun and the stabilisation is good in terms of being a tripod substitute and some slider type moves but walking with it is definitely going to give you some bumping unless you are disciplined in doing the silly walk. As I use it on holiday, the fact I'm wearing shorts is enough to make me look ridiculous without doing that as well.

It struggles a lot in quite low light of course but these grabs are from footage I did in less than broad light and its does an alright enough job for what I'm using it for, especially considering the convenience factor and the tricks it can do.

OsmoPocketGrabs_small.thumb.jpg.41246221b4efe862828b89c2125607aa.jpg1

8 hours ago, androidlad said:

If only DJI could add an option to turn off the ugly over-sharpening.

There are tricks for that, c'mon... I follow and concur the meaning of your comment, though : ) As much as with Mavic Pro II

BTW Andrew...

Stick it, truly worthy... these devices are yet more revolutionary than RED claimed to be : -)

I was given one of these recently, its ok but not great, it is super stealthy though as most people don't know what it is. Mine has an occasional tilt to the left that sometimes can't be cured with re-calibration. Though my Osmo Mobile 2 does the same thing. Image is no different than any current action cam and worse than my iPhone IMO, plus I can route external audio into my phone. Audio in the Osmo Pocket is trash and I haven't been able to get one of the proprietary audio connectors as B&H just shows "coming soon" and has for awhile now. It would be much better with a 3.5mm plug built in. The Hero7 with hypersmooth is pretty close in terms of stabilization. Its a little bigger with a handgrip, but far more versatile. IMO.

Chris

Okay, it's early in the morning/late at night here.  I found this thread and thought I was dreaming about being back in the past viewing an Osmo Pocket topic for the first time. I have one of these currently.  It's okay for what it does.  I took it with me on a hiking adventure.  It worked fine enough, but the internal microphone placement and lack of a decent built in microphone jack led me to purchasing the 3.5mm adapter and a couple microphones.  Now, I am contemplating letting it go until there is a version 2.0. 

Dark Island Trail Osmo Pocket Hiking | Rural Exploration

DJI Osmo Pocket Audio Tests - Saramonic SR-XM1 - DJI FM-15 Fleximic