Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Organic looking Panasonic S1 footage

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

Just VLog (No L Rubbish) with almost 13 stops, even better colour science, usable lowlight upto ISO12800, slightly larger screen (just 1/2-2/3 inch larger) and better photography capabilities (14Bit RAW?). The GH5 does almost everything else pretty well.

And release that f1.7 zoom, at Sigma Prices, since neither Panasonic nor Leica are probably designing nor making it. 

The GH5S sensor was nice tbh, I have no need of 8k. Its capable of 4k 120p at least according to what Z cam did with it. But I guess higher res is the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, sanveer said:

Just VLog (No L Rubbish) with almost 13 stops, even better colour science, usable lowlight upto ISO12800, slightly larger screen (just 1/2-2/3 inch larger) and better photography capabilities (14Bit RAW?). The GH5 does almost everything else pretty well.

And release that f1.7 zoom, at Sigma Prices, since neither Panasonic nor Leica are probably designing nor making it. 

Yea I think that's the ticket. The GH6 really does need to come out strong to have any hope in the new full-frame world:

- 120-150fps in 10-bit 4K. 

- Internal NDs (electronic or on-sensor ND). 

- V-log (13-stops instead of 11.5 or whatever GH5s ended up being). 

- Low light of GH5s with IBIS of GH5

And with the 10-25mm f1.7 - honestly, that could keep me happy for a long time. A 25-75mm f1.7 or 35-100 f2 would also be great. 

The GH5 was 2 years ahead of all other hybrid cameras and has only recently been matched by Pocket 4K (and to some degree the X-T3 and Panasonic's own S1) in codecs, specs - but still has upper hand in some regards with IBIS, photo capabilities, XLR adapter. 

So, for MFT to stay strong, they need to continue to be 2-3 years ahead with video capabilities on the GH-line. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a feeling Sony is going to come out, like someone on here said, with some groundbreaking stuff on the a7s mk III that is going to knock everyone else on their Butt. They have not dragged this out this long for no reason. They are not just going to add 10 bit, 4k 60 and be done. They would Just be even at best doing that. I really doubt Sony is just going to pull a Samsung and get out of the camera business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The GH5S sensor was nice tbh, I have no need of 8k. Its capable of 4k 120p at least according to what Z cam did with it. But I guess higher res is the future.

8k will have to wait. There are hardly any TVs with 8k. Plus editing will be a nightmare, 4-2-2 1010-bit will take time etc etc. A 20MP that merges the talents of the GH5 and GH5s would be perfect. And the VLog needs needs atleast 1 full stop more of dynamic range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I have a feeling Sony is going to come out, like someone on here said, with some groundbreaking stuff on the a7s mk III that is going to knock everyone else on their Butt. They have not dragged this out this long for no reason. They are not just going to add 10 bit, 4k 60 and be done. They would Just be even at best doing that. I really doubt Sony is just going to pull a Samsung and get out of the camera business.

Yea, based on the FS5, I'd say they could (if they wanted to be) the first company to add in a variable ND in a mirrorless body. Would have to make the body slightly bigger. However, this would crush FS5 sales, so I'm not sure they'll do it. They'll have to differentiate some other way (my guess).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2019 at 12:18 AM, webrunner5 said:

I have a feeling Sony is going to come out, like someone on here said, with some groundbreaking stuff on the a7s mk III that is going to knock everyone else on their Butt. They have not dragged this out this long for no reason. They are not just going to add 10 bit, 4k 60 and be done. They would Just be even at best doing that. I really doubt Sony is just going to pull a Samsung and get out of the camera business.

What could Sony do that's beyond the S1 and Z6 right now? They could try 10 bit 4K internally with no crop but at the end of the day unless they do a global shutter nothing else will have an impact. Rumor has the A7SIII will come out after the A6500 and A9 new models. That puts it a year out for the A7SIII. 

What's tough for Sony is the A7SII had great low light abilities and that's why people bought it. A lot has changed since then. 

I think Sony was caught of guard by Panasonic and Nikon with the models they came out with. 

The real question is how far is the gap in quality between the A7III / A9 video and Sony's cine video line up? Quality wise that's were the A7SIII has to land. And if we are honest about it You Tube - Joe doesn't know the difference. 

If I was Sony I would make the A7SIII a true hybrid cine mirrorless camera. I would put GH5 features in it and push the quality up to Sony's cine line up. Promote it as the A7SIII cine camera. That's the only way the A7SIII will be taken seriously. 

On 4/18/2019 at 1:41 AM, liork said:

DXO published their S1 score and they suggest it has the same sensor as A7III and Z6.

Maybe it's me but the S1 and Z6 look the same image quality wise.

On 4/17/2019 at 7:29 PM, DBounce said:

I agree, no major faults with the image. Great low light. But bad AF. If usable AF is not an issue and you are buying into a new system it could be serviceable. But then it might make sense to just buy manual lenses.

Not wild about the old school lcd on the top, but that’s being nit-picky. It’s a bit annoying that Panasonic didn’t just add in the flip screen and good AF. On many fronts it comes close. 

How is the AF bad on the S1? In video tracking or stills? 

The Z6 has very good AF-F video tracking and for stills you have to find out what setting work for you. 

On 4/16/2019 at 11:32 AM, PrometheusDM said:

I bought the camera for $2250 with free battery, battery grip and 3 year warranty. I'm selling the grip so it's $2000 camera for me.

I really think it's the best camera I've ever owned. I had Canon 6D, 5D IV, EOS R and tried various camera Sony A7III, A9, A7RIII.

I primarily use it for still photography. Beautiful EVF, ergonomic, great IBIS, and no banding. The AF is really good for still and the inclusion of eyeAF is much better than Canon EOS R but still no match for Sony. It also track animals.

It has alot of little things I like - quick toggle for AF-C/AF-S/Manual, quick lever for silent shutter, manual focus magnification, backlit buttons, focus bracketing, and custom modes.

This might be the first camera where I can set the setting for each scenarios I commonly shoot with - timelapse, portrait, landscape, etc. This is so great to have!

This does not have the best AF compare to Sony but it's more than usable as is for me. EyeAF is much better than Canon EOS R. I'm sure it will get further improvement.

I considered all of Nikon, Sony, and Canon offering. I ended up with Panasonic S1 based on my priority and needs - dual card slot, great EVF, good sensor, IBIS, ergonomic.

Here is a AF test done between Sony A7III vs Panasonic S1

Also, I just find out ISO 50 is a true ISO. https://www.l-rumors.com/diggloyd-panasonic-s1r-has-true-iso-50-not-a-faux-iso-kudos-to-panasonic/

This is pretty amazing for increase dynamic range.

 

Sony color and video look so bad it's not funny anymore. Sony doesn't know what white balance is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say, the colors in each succeeding Panasonic model in the last few years have seen a dramatic improvement in color.   From GH4 to GH5 to GH5s, and now a big jump with the S1.

Really beautiful images coming off this camera.  Wish it had just a touch more dynamic range.

Stop teasing us with that 20 stop organic sensor Panasonic and stick it in the GH6 with your new color science/ processing/ mojo /magic!!😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

How is the AF bad on the S1? In video tracking or stills? 

It seems to be not up to scratch when in video mode. I believe the AF is fine in stills mode. Autofocus not a big deal for everyone, but in my use case I need my hybrids to have great AF for video, as they tend to live on gimbals or motion controllers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Towd said:

I have to say, the colors in each succeeding Panasonic model in the last few years have seen a dramatic improvement in color.   From GH4 to GH5 to GH5s, and now a big jump with the S1.

Really beautiful images coming off this camera.  Wish it had just a touch more dynamic range.

Stop teasing us with that 20 stop organic sensor Panasonic and stick it in the GH6 with your new color science/ processing/ mojo /magic!!😀

GH5 owners have said that GH5 colors were good and nothing wrong with them. The S1 does have great color and no amount of features in a camera will make up for bad color. The GH5 has better color then the A7III and A7RIII. And while were on Sony the A9 has better color then the A7 line up.

46 minutes ago, Towd said:

I have to say, the colors in each succeeding Panasonic model in the last few years have seen a dramatic improvement in color.   From GH4 to GH5 to GH5s, and now a big jump with the S1.

Really beautiful images coming off this camera.  Wish it had just a touch more dynamic range.

Stop teasing us with that 20 stop organic sensor Panasonic and stick it in the GH6 with your new color science/ processing/ mojo /magic!!😀

What's a 20 stop organic sensor? The Z6 has that same "organic sensor". Organic a seems to be the flavor of the month.

Does the S1 have the very sought after "light meter" for video and other GH5 video controls? Asking for a friend.

A side note: If the S1 proves to be better at video then my Z6 then I will gladly sell my Z6 to purchase the S1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like the only thing holding me back is the lens mount.

I just have an extensive amount of adapted lens, and many Canon lens in EOS mount, some very special rare glass too, sigh...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

GH5 owners have said that GH5 colors were good and nothing wrong with them. The S1 does have great color and no amount of features in a camera will make up for bad color. The GH5 has better color then the A7III and A7RIII. And while were on Sony the A9 has better color then the A7 line up.

Yeah, I think GH5 colors were a big improvement over GH4 colors.  Before the GH5, I only really liked Canon and Nikon colors in the DSLR segment. But the GH5 is good enough, and 10 bit internal recording helps a lot with grading.  There's a whole thread here devoted to an Alexa LUT for mixing GH5 with Alexa footage.  I know a lot of people mix GH5 with Red footage as well including myself.   

So yeah, I don't think its best in the business, but the GH5 can get the job done, and it's crammed with video modes that still are not matched by anyone else except maybe Fuji.  Fuji's latest stuff looks great too, but I have not worked with it, and it came after the GH5.   Sony's color has been improving, but not as fast as Panasonic of late, IMO.

14 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

What's a 20 stop organic sensor? The Z6 has that same "organic sensor". Organic a seems to be the flavor of the month.

Does the S1 have the very sought after "light meter" for video and other GH5 video controls? Asking for a friend.

A side note: If the S1 proves to be better at video then my Z6 then I will gladly sell my Z6 to purchase the S1. 

Oh, I was referencing this organic sensor Panasonic has been teasing:  https://www.dpreview.com/news/1440456457/panasonic-unveils-industry-first-8k-organic-image-sensor-with-global-shutter

It's supposed to have like 16 or 20 stops of dynamic range.  I'm just being a bit facetious since the wedding video above had some beautiful skin tones, but heavily clipped highlights in the windows.

Everything is organic these days, it gets a bit confusing! 😉

I can't comment on the S1 in detail though.  I've only watched some Youtubes on it, but I like how it looks.  I don't think I'm going to bite though.  I don't really need full frame recording and it's not enough of an improvement over the GH5 for me to dump my kit and switch formats.  I am watching it and the Z6 to see how they evolve though.  They are the most interesting full frames at the moment for me.

4 minutes ago, buggz said:

Seems like the only thing holding me back is the lens mount.

I just have an extensive amount of adapted lens, and many Canon lens in EOS mount, some very special rare glass too, sigh...

Yeah, watching the weird incompatibility play out between Sigma and Leica feels weird.  It's too bad there is not an open m43 equivalent for full frame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got to use the S1 today. What a lovely camera BUT after using it I have less interest than I did before. 

The size is the killer for me. I really, really liked it, and at first was like "I'm gonna end up buying one, ugh why am I like this?!" But by the middle of the day, I was over having to carry around such a large camera. It just isn't worth it to me.

But you can get some really lovely footage straight out of camera. The green here in Vermont is just starting to show itself again after a cold, cold winter and it looks excellent. Panasonic's color science is improving more and more. 

The limitations are there though that the GH5 doesn't have, but they aren't as big of a deal breaker as I thought; as I used it the size though was too much. I'm a big, strong guy, but I don't want to carry that around with me for hours, especially after having had the GH3, GH5 and G85 these past 8 years. Shooting a sports event with it would suck unless I put it on a shoulder rig to help distribute the weight, and I haven't bothered using mine in forever. Who needs to with how light the GH5 is with its excellent stabilization?

The kit lens is excellent. Probably the greatest kit lens I've ever used. 

The auto focus was decent. If you know how to get the best out of the GH5's auto focus then you're good to go. But it will forever remain a weak point for most people who think they need Sony and Canon level AF. And I'm at a point where, even though I am content with the auto focus, I recognize that they need to change course, if not for the improvements but to take away something that people have used to knock Panasonic cameras since the beginning. I'm tired of hearing about it. It's time. 

I'm hoping to get some time with the Z6 soon. I'm still quite intrigued by it, because I genuinely love that Nikon has really attempted to make serious strides in video. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought this was a nice breakdown of the S1 with some comparisons against the GH5 and a7 iii.  It looks like it would pair up well with a GH5 in a multi camera shoot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I got to use the S1 today. What a lovely camera BUT after using it I have less interest than I did before. 

The size is the killer for me. I really, really liked it, and at first was like "I'm gonna end up buying one, ugh why am I like this?!" But by the middle of the day, I was over having to carry around such a large camera. It just isn't worth it to me.

Size is all relative, I know I wouldn't use S1 for anything other than video job, for travel I use G1X III which is much lighter and smaller, the RP while the body is small the lens is not.  On the last trip I bring G1XIII and RP with 35mm which I end up using G1XIII and my phone the most, RP only used to capture firefly photos and spend 95% inside my bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judging only by some reviews and sample shots of the S1, I suspect the way to go will be to use good vintage glass, not so much native glass for video work. It'll cut down on the size of the package and have the added benefits of nice glass with good manual focus and IBIS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...