Organic looking Panasonic S1 footage

Andrew Reid

• Super Members
19 hours ago, ntblowz said:

On dpreview it is confirmed T/CL doesn’t work from early Japanese user

The old 'tape over the contacts' trick has made a comeback !

Manual focus and locked aperture but at least it mounts and I can see some enterprising 3rd party making a cheap semi-smart adapter now that has aperture control.

613041285_ScreenShot2019-04-27at21_09_55.png.9667949fc6a7b8ae725d3940f186000f.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

20 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The old 'tape over the contacts' trick has made a comeback !

Manual focus and locked aperture but at least it mounts and I can see some enterprising 3rd party making a cheap semi-smart adapter now that has aperture control.

Yeah I guess we might have to wait for Chinese to have a crack at it..

BTM_Pix >

I'm guessing this means it supplies power, as it is controlling the aperture?

I have two special focus via wire Canon EF lens, it would still work for these?

Oh, nevermind, the posting is for the Leica C1 cam, not the Panny S1...

• Super Members
31 minutes ago, buggz said:

Oh, nevermind, the posting is for the Leica C1 cam, not the Panny S1...

Yep, the adapter works fully on the S1.

This is an auto-translate from Map Camera's website where they have tried it with a Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L lens (which is outside of the scope of lenses officially supported as they are all Sigma ones).

The gist of it seems to be that a) it didn't blow the camera or the adapter up b) it could AF and c) best try it yourself to see if its adequate for your own usage.

Considering the only other comparable-ish equivalent lens in L mount is the best part of £4K then it might well be very adequate !

1168822083_ScreenShot2019-04-28at16_50_18.png.9ae03e321372ec17fba10a1791dc3c79.png

On 4/24/2019 at 5:46 PM, Skip77 said:

What could Sony do that's beyond the S1 and Z6 right now? They could try 10 bit 4K internally with no crop but at the end of the day unless they do a global shutter nothing else will have an impact. Rumor has the A7SIII will come out after the A6500 and A9 new models. That puts it a year out for the A7SIII. 

What's tough for Sony is the A7SII had great low light abilities and that's why people bought it. A lot has changed since then. 

I think Sony was caught of guard by Panasonic and Nikon with the models they came out with. 

The real question is how far is the gap in quality between the A7III / A9 video and Sony's cine video line up? Quality wise that's were the A7SIII has to land. And if we are honest about it You Tube - Joe doesn't know the difference. 

If I was Sony I would make the A7SIII a true hybrid cine mirrorless camera. I would put GH5 features in it and push the quality up to Sony's cine line up. Promote it as the A7SIII cine camera. That's the only way the A7SIII will be taken seriously. 

What can Sony do that's beyond S1/Z6? 

Great AF, 4K60 10 bit internal and/or global shutter along with 5.76 million dot EVF is the only way they can beat S1. I doubt it will be $2500 when it's debut. By then Panasonic S1 might be closer to $2000 with better ergonomic and built quality.

I think they are caught off card by Panasonic. I don't think Sony can do 4K60 w/o crop and 10 bit internal without heat issues unless they design bigger body like S1. They might severely limit the recording time as well.

I agree with you that quality wise is where A7SIII has to land, but people are more concern about specs than compromises Sony made to reach a price point with the A7III (2.4 million dot EVF, 900K lcd, poor build quality). I suspect A7SIII is the same - 4K60 10 bit for 10-15 minutes 

51 minutes ago, PrometheusDM said:

What can Sony do that's beyond S1/Z6? 

Great AF, 4K60 10 bit internal and/or global shutter along with 5.76 million dot EVF is the only way they can beat S1. I doubt it will be $2500 when it's debut. By then Panasonic S1 might be closer to $2000 with better ergonomic and built quality.

I think they are caught off card by Panasonic. I don't think Sony can do 4K60 w/o crop and 10 bit internal without heat issues unless they design bigger body like S1. They might severely limit the recording time as well.

I agree with you that quality wise is where A7SIII has to land, but people are more concern about specs than compromises Sony made to reach a price point with the A7III (2.4 million dot EVF, 900K lcd, poor build quality). I suspect A7SIII is the same - 4K60 10 bit for 10-15 minutes 

Having all its internal log and HLG profiles with internal 10 bit 422 at decent data rate will probably happen. Of course you get that with Panasonic just after a paid upgrade. The Sony will probably cost more off the bat so there is that as well. 

17 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Having all its internal log and HLG profiles with internal 10 bit 422 at decent data rate will probably happen. Of course you get that with Panasonic just after a paid upgrade. The Sony will probably cost more off the bat so there is that as well. 

Yup. A7SII was $3000 so I can't imagine it being being cheaper than that. 

Outside of getting global shutter, there isn't anything Sony will do to make me want to get it. That's why I bought the camera now and enjoy it for projects

I enjoy Panasonic attention to details, ergonomic and enjoy using it. Sony may have good features (eyeAF) but I feel disconnect with the tool. I figure in my lifetime, I will probably have 25+ years of upgrade, I might as well buy things I enjoy using and relatively affordable (I got Panasonic S1 for $2000 after selling the pre-order specials). 

9 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Jordan, did you find the size to be kind of an issue while shooting handheld video? At first I was like, "this isn't so bad," but by hour two of holding it up I was like "why Panasonic, why?!" 

Am I just a wimp?! 

I shot most of the episode, (aside from the part art the canyon) on a video monopod, so I can't really say.  It wasn't an issue for the couple hours we were there. I wouldn't want to hand hold it for an entire event shoot or something. The body with the 24-105mm feels similar to the GH5 with a Metabones and Sigma 18-35mm I usually use, so I don't think it would be an issue for most types of filming.

3 hours ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

In 6k Photo mode the S1 can film at 60p with full sensor for 10 minutes.

If you don't need sound, ( I don't for slow-motion ) then its a great option if you don't want to crop for 60p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FaqAz7eKY4&t=12s

Just looked into this. 60P 4K Photo mode still does a Super 35 crop. 6K and 4K at 30P is full readout. 

No free lunch, sadly.

15 hours ago, Jordan Drake said:

I shot most of the episode, (aside from the part art the canyon) on a video monopod, so I can't really say.  It wasn't an issue for the couple hours we were there. I wouldn't want to hand hold it for an entire event shoot or something. The body with the 24-105mm feels similar to the GH5 with a Metabones and Sigma 18-35mm I usually use, so I don't think it would be an issue for most types of filming.

A monopod?! You cheater! Real pros go handheld, bro! 

Camera seems to tick all of my boxes and I really like this fellas style. It does look huge in his tiny hands but it sounds like they haven't compromised on ergonomics, build quality or the IBIS and from all accounts it is a great camera to hold and use. Really need to get my hands on one to try, local photo stores don't hold it in stock here, have to order it which is a bit of a pain and isn't going to help them sell any

Don't personally see what the problem is with its size, with full frame lenses you want a camera  with a bit of heft - the Sony A7 is way too small, lenses seem to dangle off it (and the IBIS is rubbish) - to me the Canon 5d is a great ergonomic camera for taking photos with (not so much for video cause of the lack of EVF - I like to look through the viewfinder), and no one complains about its weight - the Panasonic S1 and 24-105 lens is lighter than Canon 5d with 24-105