Panasonic announcing a full frame camera on Sept. 25???

Trek of Joy

5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but I don't think you can cram 8K onto a onto a little sensor.

The Sony UHC-8300 is a 8K camera system, which includes 3 x  1.25-inch 8K sensors - it's a broadcast B4 style camera with 5/4 size sensors (smaller sensor than 4/3). Certainly a professional m4/3 8k sensor be made.  A16k FF Sensor could be extrapolated based on 2x 4/3. Though I would prefer and 8k FF if the RS is less, and the DR and High ISO's are better.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Methinks a reworking of the Panasonic lineup to FF sensors too costly and, therefore, unlikely from Panasonic. Better sense would be to incorporate a larger Super35 sensor into their lineup utilizing the existing Micro 4/3 mount (ala GY-LS300). Users would still benefit from the existing lighter and smaller lenses the system affords (which makes the system more alluring than having to invest in expensive and large FF glass) while gaining the benefits of a larger sensor. A multi-aspect ratio sensor making best sense here. All, IMHO.

As for September 25th announcement? My hopes would be for a G9S using the GH5S sensor, this time with IBIS and sensor cooling with GH5S' 14-bit via HDMI-out with all the G9 photo-shooting goodness.

:)

1 hour ago, majoraxis said:

The Sony UHC-8300 is a 8K camera system, which includes 3 x  1.25-inch 8K sensors - it's a broadcast B4 style camera with 5/4 size sensors (smaller sensor than 4/3). Certainly a professional m4/3 8k sensor be made.  A16k FF Sensor could be extrapolated based on 2x 4/3. Though I would prefer and 8k FF if the RS is less, and the DR and High ISO's are better.

Yeah and it cost $500 thousand dollars. That is no ordinary camera LoL.

Haven't been keeping up with this thread but the impression I get is that Panasonic knows they need to go with a larger sensor but doing so could wreck their m43 ecosystem and user base. 

What if they skipped full frame and went medium format? The gap between the two would be significant enough for neither to cannibalize the other. Man if they could democratize medium format that would be cool. 

27 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

What if they skipped full frame and went medium format? The gap between the two would be significant enough for neither to cannibalize the other. Man if they could democratize medium format that would be cool. 

You are not the first to mention this but I am at a loss as to see what is so cool about 'medium format'

Some simple maths.

FF is 36mm x 24mm

It is 2.25x bigger than APSC (a little over 1 stop)

It is 4x bigger than M43 (2 stops)

Medium format is 44mm x 33m or about 1.5x bigger than FF (or about half a stop). Doesnt seem much worth fighting over to me.

Even worse from a video perspective most of the gain is in the vertical as the sensor is 4:3 (great if you like to shoot say a square format) but not very useful if you shoot say 16:9. In fact, the horizontal has only an increase of 20% in resolution - from 36 to 44mm. The standard 'medium format' (as opposed to say Phase One's medium format) will never become democratized because there simply isnt a 'significant enough' leap in quality over FF.

I'm following this with great interest. 

What are the odds of having something along the lines of the following?

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/02/24/towerjazz-working-on-a-new-full-frame-sensors-with-global-shutter.aspx/

Perhaps a 4:3 FF multiaspect sensor, with BSI and global shutter? 

It would also probably make a lot of sense for Panasonic, Olympus and Leica to repeat the original m43 venture and create a common platform. And I don't think m43 sales would hurt; every manufacturer has at least two major camera lines after all, in different market segments. 

Out of interest doesnt anyone see what is going on in ILCs as slightly surreal?

We have just had 3 totally new mounts in ILCs announced in the last 3 weeks.

And here are the latest numbers from CIPA.

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201807_e.pdf

Compacts are down 40% this year (over 90% from their peak)

DSLRs are down 25% in July from this time last year and even mirrorless is down.

6 million ILCs sold in the first 7 months v 800m smartphones.

Everyone investing headlong into a small market that has been declining for 5 years. Panasonic stands a snowball chance in Hades of being successful with a new mount in FF cameras. I would be surprised if their camera goes beyond the prototype.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

Everyone investing headlong into a small market that has been declining for 5 years. Panasonic stands a snowball chance in Hades of being successful with a new mount in FF cameras. I would be surprised if their camera goes beyond the prototype.

The mirrorless is growing. If you're saying the overall interchangeable lens market is declining because DSLRs are approaching obsolescence, then that's accurate. The way you said it is not.

And I don't accept your Panasonic jibe either.

3 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

And I don't accept your Panasonic jibe either.

You may not accept the jibe but it is based on reality.

Panasonic is currently in M43 where it competes with Olympus. They are pretty equally matched in terms of market share. Olympus which breaks out its imaging division in its accounts has lost money in 9 out of the 10 previous years. And based on their own forecasts, Olympus will lose roughly US$150 on every single ILC it makes this year. So it is somewhat heroic to think that Panasonic has ever made money in M43.

So why should anyone think anything otherwise than they will simply flush even more shareholders funds down the toilet when starting a new mount competing with Sony, Canon and Nikon in FF mirrorless.

Less face it..

Sony has a 5 year head start, 70 native lenses and the most advanced sensor technology

Canon is the largest ILC manufacturer in the world with an installed base of over 200m lenses that can autofocus on their new mount (with adapter)

And Nikon is no.2 (but with attitude) and 100m lenses to be adapted to their new mount.

And Panasonic competitive advantage is what exactly? 

13 minutes ago, matthere said:

For me, Panasonic has listened to what people have asked for and consistently developed their cameras in a meaningful direction. 

Honestly, listening to customers and moving your product forward is not a 'competitive advantage' more a 'prerequisite for survival'.

P.S. Continuous autofocus - cough, cough....

3 hours ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

I'm following this with great interest. 

What are the odds of having something along the lines of the following?

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/02/24/towerjazz-working-on-a-new-full-frame-sensors-with-global-shutter.aspx/

Perhaps a 4:3 FF multiaspect sensor, with BSI and global shutter? 

It would also probably make a lot of sense for Panasonic, Olympus and Leica to repeat the original m43 venture and create a common platform. And I don't think m43 sales would hurt; every manufacturer has at least two major camera lines after all, in different market segments. 

yes towerjazz sprung to my mind too. Their hint-dropping about working on something new with an established manufacturer rings true