Jump to content

Nikon FF Mirrorless


Aussie Ash
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have seen it (mount size) mentioned very briefly in passing (though not often) but never mentioned as a disadvantage for Nikon in reviews/first impressions as it is now being mentioned as an advantage for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50mm F1.2L & 85mm F1.2L are hallmarks of Canon's lens line-up, especially pro portrait photography.

Also let's not forget that on a Super35/APS-C crop sensor/mode F0.95 becomes F1.4 & F1.2 becomes an F1.8 in DoF.

They are pretty versatile & unique lenses imo.

MFT, CA & breathing are pretty poor though (especially on the 50mm L) and this is where i'd expect Nikon's Z primes to take the lead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Members
5 hours ago, jonpais said:

Aren’t lenses supposed to behave like faster optics with the new Z mount? I thought I read this somewhere, but nobody seems to be talking about it.

There was some speculation about it due to what I believe was a misunderstanding about the Fresnel element in some newer Nikon lenses such as the 300 f4 PF and the 500 f5.6 PF making it into z mount lenses.

The Fresnel element enables a lens to be much smaller so the 300 f4 PF has a much smaller footprint than it's predecessor and is more the size you would expect of a 300 f5.6 for example.

This was wrongly interpreted in my view as people thinking it made a lens faster (ie an f5.6 is then equivalent to an f4) but it is related to physical size allowing faster lenses to be smaller.

I think the reason they all got so excited was that the presumption would be that the 24-70mm f4 Z mount launch lens would act like an f2.8 if it had a Fresnel element in it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Django said:

50mm F1.2L & 85mm F1.2L are hallmarks of Canon's lens line-up, especially pro portrait photography.

Also let's not forget that on a Super35/APS-C crop sensor/mode F0.95 becomes F1.4 & F1.2 becomes an F1.8 in DoF.

They are pretty versatile & unique lenses imo.

MFT, CA & breathing are pretty poor though (especially on the 50mm L) and this is where i'd expect Nikon's Z primes to take the lead.

Nikon's new 50mm f1.8 Z is 12 elements in 9 groups including 2 ED glass and 2 aspherical elements should spank

Canon's current 50mm f1.8 which appears to be the same optical design as their 1987 "film era" basic  six elements in five groups.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I have often read how it was a disadvantage for Nikon. 

 

This is is why Nikon has zero f1.2 AF lenses!

I have the manual 50 1.2. I love it. Lots of character. Longitudinal chromatic aberation galore makes it not great for vid. 

That big mount opens up possibilities down the track, I think its a very smart move.  Tilt shift lenses, focal reducer from medium format lenses, medium format sized sensors...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Django said:

As the name implies "Noct" sub-f1 primes are aimed at extreme low-light situations. Leica developped them during WW2 for night reconnaissance. Today they mostly sell to astro shooters, crop sensor users that are looking for shallow DoF, fast prime collectors etc..

With no breathing super fast lenses, they just launched a cine lens series without launching a cine lens series. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

Nikon issues apology, will not be able to meet demand for Z7. Will not deliver all pre-orders in September.

source

XQD card bundled with camera for first few months. 

The Z cameras likely are being made at the same facility as the D850, and is probably the reason why they can't supply the D850 in sufficient numbers at the moment. Some of their capacity is being used to make Z6 and Z7s, which means that D850 production is reduced to make room, which in turn explains why they are always out of stock at the retail level.

Not being able to meet pre-orders does not mean that pre-orders are wildly exceeding expectations, it probably just means that their production capacity is limited and maxed out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Mokara said:

The Z cameras likely are being made at the same facility as the D850, and is probably the reason why they can't supply the D850 in sufficient numbers at the moment. Some of their capacity is being used to make Z6 and Z7s, which means that D850 production is reduced to make room, which in turn explains why they are always out of stock at the retail level.

 

 

Then it is being made in Thailand if true.

 

D850.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Mokara said:

The Z cameras likely are being made at the same facility as the D850, and is probably the reason why they can't supply the D850 in sufficient numbers at the moment. Some of their capacity is being used to make Z6 and Z7s, which means that D850 production is reduced to make room, which in turn explains why they are always out of stock at the retail level.

Not being able to meet pre-orders does not mean that pre-orders are wildly exceeding expectations, it probably just means that their production capacity is limited and maxed out.

Nikon says they can make 20,000 Z7's a month in this interview.

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/24/sendai-factory-media-tour-qa-currently-nikon-makes-20k-z7-mirrorless-cameras-per-month.aspx/

Here's some images from inside the factory showing the Z7 assembly line. If the d850 is made in Thailand, its not the same factory.

https://www.shutterbug.com/content/these-50-images-show-new-nikon-z-7-mirrorless-camera-being-made-factory-japan

Reading other reports from that factory tour, it sounds like they're not sure they'll be able to fill all the Z7 pre-orders before the Z6 is supposed to be released. 

Chris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is easy to understand why, many like me have been waiting for a hybrid camera to at least complement our existing Nikon cameras and lens. Video will be in big use on this camera and many pro might not use it as their primary camera , but secondary in the shoulder pack, so the second card slot issue won't be that bad even for critical work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

Nikon says they can make 20,000 Z7's a month in this interview.

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/24/sendai-factory-media-tour-qa-currently-nikon-makes-20k-z7-mirrorless-cameras-per-month.aspx/

Here's some images from inside the factory showing the Z7 assembly line. If the d850 is made in Thailand, its not the same factory.

https://www.shutterbug.com/content/these-50-images-show-new-nikon-z-7-mirrorless-camera-being-made-factory-japan

Reading other reports from that factory tour, it sounds like they're not sure they'll be able to fill all the Z7 pre-orders before the Z6 is supposed to be released. 

Chris

Wow, I think that's pretty amazing. Close to a swiss watch or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Django said:

Pretty cool the Z7 & Z6 are made in Japan at the historical Sendai factory. Currently only D5, DF & F6 are still made there. All other Nikon cameras are made in Thailand/China. D850 production/supply shortage hasn't got anything to do with it. The thirst is real!

From one of those interviews, they said the D5 and Df production is on pause right now too. Its all Z7.

One other little tidbit, they said brass lens mounts were consumer models like the d5300, the high end stuff is all steel -- in one of the images it looks like brass rings next to steel rings. Hmmm...

Chris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Lens chart all on one page.

 

lens chart..png

If anyone is comparing lenses, be aware that one of the advantages of having a fast lens is that you can stop down and get less distortion.  For example, if you get a 50mm F1.4 and use it at 1.8 then it is likely to be optically superior to the 50mm 1.8 at 1.8.

This is why people would buy a 1.2 lens in comparison to an 1.4 lens - it's not because they want to shoot a lot at 1.2, it's the performance at 1.4 or 1.8.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...