Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

So I received the Pocket 4k today. yet to do proper tests but I've had a quick play and the files look decent. What surprised me the most however is that I'm able to record 4k 50p Lossless raw to my Samsung T5 500gb drive. didn't expect that. The only downside so far is the battery door. It opens by itself waaayy to often. 

Does the battery door actually hold the battery or is there another tab inside as with most cameras? I generally remove the battery doors on my cameras anyway to aid quick battery changes

7 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

hmm is that a hotshoe for flash on the front? but is has no electrical contacts. Is there a way to trigger the external flash through a cable or something? 

Tonnes of uses for a cold shoe! Such as mounting a mini ballhead for a monitor, or a little scratch mic for the camera.

From BMD PDF file on the PK4.

"Turning Your Camera On

Now that you’ve attached a lens, you will need to supply power to your camera. Blackmagic

Pocket Cinema Camera 4K can be powered by inserting an LP-E6 battery into the camera, or by

plugging the supplied power adapter into the power input.

Inserting a Battery and Powering your Camera

Your Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K uses standard removable LP-E6 type batteries.

One is included with the camera, but if you need additional batteries, they can be purchased

from your Blackmagic Design reseller or from most video or photography equipment stores.

On the underside of the camera, press the door release to open the battery door.

With the contacts facing the terminal, insert the LP-E6 type battery until you feel it click

into place under the locking tab.

TIP

To release the battery, push the locking tab towards the front of the

camera and the battery will eject.

Close the door to the battery terminal and gently push until it clicks into place.

Move the power switch on the top of your camera to the ‘on’ position. To turn off the

camera, move the power switch to the ‘off’ position."

It looks like the bottom of the camera body must be some Top Secret shit. I can't find a picture Anywhere.

23 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

So the battery is held in by a seperate latch and im confident it won't fall out  but the door latch is poorly designed and opens on its own frequently. unless im missing something obvious with the latch mechanism.

Can the battery door be removed? 

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, TurboRat said:

So gaffer tape is essential for taping the ssd and the battery door. This is a cinema camera, you should always have a gaffer tape with you!

Kidding aside, I'm glad this camera is already arriving to those who ordered. Hope to test one next year when the dust settles :)

So that's why Blackmagic shoots always have a gaffer on set!!!

13 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

The door can be easily removed. Pressure near the lock can tigger the door to open. Its entirely possible at this point that im being stupid.

No, that's not normal.  Pressure on the grip has no effect on mine.    I'd say exchange the camera, but of course you can't at this point.

1 hour ago, JordanWright said:

So I received the Pocket 4k today. yet to do proper tests but I've had a quick play and the files look decent. What surprised me the most however is that I'm able to record 4k 50p Lossless raw to my Samsung T5 500gb drive. didn't expect that. The only downside so far is the battery door. It opens by itself waaayy to often. 

Even the battery itself knows its about to die!

I’ve been shooting with the camera for a few days now,  and not had any issues with the battery door. I’ve also tried to recreate the door opening from pressing on the side, but have been unable to make it flick open like the video suggests. Must be just a slightly duff mechanism in that camera? 

The battery indicator is not the best, but I’ve been getting pretty consistent results with the 5 unbranded batteries. I’ve just been switching them out every 30 minutes or so. 

EDIT: I’ve not had any issues with stuck batteries either. I have noticed that they get pretty warm, so I suppose an older battery may swell after lots of use. 

9 minutes ago, Alex Uzan said:

Since I'm sending back the X-T3, I'm planning to buy one and try it in my work.
I know there is no adapter to mount my Sony lens on it, so any recommandations about which lenses I should get to start ?

I've never heard of an E mount to MFT mount adapter. Isn't this impossible?