Jump to content

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Damphousse said:

Cool.  I'm not dropping hundreds of dollars on unreviewed cutting edge tech for a camera that isn't even out yet.  I at least want the opportunity to return something if it doesn't meet my expectations.

It's a free country.  Anyone can do whatever they want with their money.  But as Brawley pointed out people have a tendency to create a lot of unnecessary noise on the internet after they rush into something.

I understand completely. I'm willing to take the risk, but I also know that I could be completely wrong. I'm one of the few that will rush out and take that risk, but won't complain if I get burned by it. Thanks for the back and forth, man. ✌️

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dear erstwhile member can you please stop attacking John Brawley now. I have long since given up on camera forum arguments so might not be completely up on who is right and who is wrong-evil /

I like the pictures. A lot.  This camera will probably replace the micro cinema camera for me as it’s not much bigger and is much easier to work with.  I didn’t feel as strongly about the 4K

What a shame. Who are these "deep state" BMD insiders that are here pushing an agenda ? Myself and Hook.  Who else ?  What do you guys think, there's a plot and conspiracy ?  You guys don't wat t

Posted Images

7 hours ago, LtJTMarsh said:

there was a hot deal few days ago for the T5, anyone know if you can get curly USB C cable ?

I got it during the deal. This is all you get. USB C to C and USB C to A cables.

3EEA620A-8F9F-48A2-BDFE-A192A7FCB6F8.jpeg

 

Saved me on my vacation last week when I had to do some major color changes on my new music video coming live in a week. Shot solely handheld on BMPCC with 2 lenses. I’ll post it here when it’s live! Such a beast, BMPCC4K can only be better!

Link to post
Share on other sites

8sinn is building cable clamps that go on the pocket 4K and hold the cable in place.

you could also get a usb-c right angle extender and find some solution to hold that in place as it will be very rigid as well as provide an entirely new port to plug and unplug the cable from, preventing damage to the camera.  CFast is way more elegant, but USB is not too bad for long recording on a tripod where the camera won't be moved or touched that often.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Savannah Miller said:

8sinn is building cable clamps that go on the pocket 4K and hold the cable in place.

you could also get a usb-c right angle extender and find some solution to hold that in place as it will be very rigid as well as provide an entirely new port to plug and unplug the cable from, preventing damage to the camera.  CFast is way more elegant, but USB is not too bad for long recording on a tripod where the camera won't be moved or touched that often.

How can you be so sure of yourself when you have never recorded by USB-C? And why does BMD keep publishing photos of someone actually holding the drive in their hands? Strange marketing...

For example, I see several filmmakers have already had troubles with the HDMI port and mic input on their a7 III. And Fuji’s X-T2 has issues with monitoring externally when shooting F-log. In other words, we can’t know anything until the camera is actually released.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the same tech that's in their Ursa Mini SSD recorder, only difference is it's a USB connection instead of SDI.  Provided you do nothing to damage the cable or port, I see no reason it would be unreliable.  Using it handheld is maybe more of an issue, but sitting on a tripod recording a 2 hour event is probably less of an issue.

 

It does seem to be a flimsy connection, so if it's clamped down and you don't move the camera you should be okay. Blackmagic always shows ridiculous scenarios for their products as more to show off the features rather than practical usage.

Like this is totally not how narrative episodic television is shot. Huge cables dangling everywhere

episodic-md.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is he using batteries if his camera is plugged in?

And I guess you're right.  If you're sitting on a tripod or a gear head, maybe cables everywhere is less of an issue.

I am betting Blackmagic either comes out with some more audio gear, or some sort of wireless video given the price can be made more affordable and there is a huge need for market disruption.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Savannah Miller said:

Why is he using batteries if his camera is plugged in?

I was just about to say "it is not plugged in" but I took a second look, that might be a power cord? The black one. 

But meh, whatever, it is still very common to use an external power source *and* use a V lock battery at the same time. (the V lock means while you're moving around and setting up the next shot you will not have to power down the camera)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having trouble finding the answer, so hoping someone here can help me.

Can a C.Fast 1.0 reader read a C.Fast 2.0 card?

Similarly, are we likely to be able to use C.Fast 1.0 cards in this camera? (Of course lowering the recording formats/frame sizes/frame rates etc.)

FYI: I did find that the camera's USB Type-C can be used for external drive recording, software updates and media download. So, for those wondering, like myself, readers aren't mandatory to get started.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I'm having trouble finding the answer, so hoping someone here can help me.

Can a C.Fast 1.0 reader read a C.Fast 2.0 card?

Similarly, are we likely to be able to use C.Fast 1.0 cards in this camera? (Of course lowering the recording formats/frame sizes/frame rates etc.)

FYI: I did find that the camera's USB Type-C can be used for external drive recording, software updates and media download. So, for those wondering, like myself, readers aren't mandatory to get started.

Do you own Cfast 1.0 cards?  I'm curious where you can even buy them or what cameras supported them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

FYI: I did find that the camera's USB Type-C can be used for external drive recording, software updates and media download. So, for those wondering, like myself, readers aren't mandatory to get started.

I would touch that USB C port as little as humanly possible.  No way I would routinely plug it in to my computer just for downloading content.

A Sandisk CFast 2 card reader costs less than the sales tax on a 256 GB Cfast 2 card.  What are we really trying to accomplish here?

If someone doesn't have $50 they should stay far away from the Cfast 2.0 game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Damphousse said:

I would touch that USB C port as little as humanly possible.  No way I would routinely plug it in to my computer just for downloading content.

A Sandisk CFast 2 card reader costs less than the sales tax on a 256 GB Cfast 2 card.  What are we really trying to accomplish here?

If someone doesn't have $50 they should stay far away from the Cfast 2.0 game.

Gulp!    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1317914-REG/sandisk_sdcfsp_256g_a46d_extremepro_cfast_256gb_525r.html?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgZf_rtSw3AIV3rjACh1wyAH3EAQYAiABEgJbivD_BwE&smp=y

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...