Jump to content
Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Are you sure? I dont see that in the spec list? http://www.kinefinity.com/terra/?lang=en

Yes.  It was upgraded in firmware 6.0 beta.  Only thing it cannot do is 4:4:4 which Kinefinity says is because of too much processing power required.  So that's good reasoning as to why the new Pocket can't do it either.

 

http://www.kinefinity.com/firmware_terra_kineos6p0/?lang=en

 

Crazy thing is it's in the lower priced Terra 4K model, but not the more expensive Terra 6K model.  That model was doomed to fail because of the horrible rolling shutter and not hardly any other benefits over the 4k model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Savannah Miller said:

Terra 4K has the same codecs as the Blackmagic.  I think it just has higher framerate and  OLPF, which is  the only major difference.  Color science and image will be different, obviously.

It is much more than that, Kinefinity has a whole ecosystem around their camera (like RED does, but at much much MUCH lower prices!)

1 hour ago, Savannah Miller said:

Crazy thing is it's in the lower priced Terra 4K model, but not the more expensive Terra 6K model.  That model was doomed to fail because of the horrible rolling shutter and not hardly any other benefits over the 4k model.

The Terra 6K is the older model, so at the time it was "the best" Kinefinity made, but they've moved on to the Terra 4K and now the Mavo series 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

It is much more than that, Kinefinity has a whole ecosystem around their camera (like RED does, but at much much MUCH lower prices!)

The Terra 6K is the older model, so at the time it was "the best" Kinefinity made, but they've moved on to the Terra 4K and now the Mavo series 

That's true but it's like an ecosystem around a lackluster camera (terra 4K and 6K).  I think the pocket 4K solution of all in one is better for the type of camera that it is.  Mavo 6K and LF look much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jonpais said:

I believe they add film grain, not noise. 😬

You can add noise just as easy as film grain. Different things. Noise is not film grain. Years ago we added noise to cover up poor resolution. It was a TV trick for years for early ENG cameras..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah I really liked the Image from the 5D III RAW, but the workflow is something else though and I also missed decent 1080p 60fps. Also the screen of the 5D III is a tad too small to make critical checks(never got it working properlly with a external monitor, which also defeats having a dslr type body). 

The pocket 4K will def replace my 5D III for video purposes. 

Speaking of BM 4K BMPCC screens. There is this photo I found. It doesn't look too big in this shot. That guy is not that big either.

But we are not going to be able to stick one in our pocket that is for sure!

 

4K BM.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Speaking of BM 4K BMPCC screens. There is this photo I found. It doesn't look too big in this shot. That guy is not that big either.

But we are not going to be able to stick one in our pocket that is for sure!

 

4K BM.jpg

I had a play with this camera at NAB, the screen is a reasonable size, though not as high a quality as you would find on a high-end smartphone. It will do for the purpose. I wish it was a "flippy" screen though. When is the footage coming? That's the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I had a play with this camera at NAB, the screen is a reasonable size, though not as high a quality as you would find on a high-end smartphone. It will do for the purpose. I wish it was a "flippy" screen though. When is the footage coming? That's the question.

Well the screen on it is a pretty big improvement over the 5" with 800 x 480 resolution BMCC screen. It is 5” with 1920 x 1080. No clue what the pixel count is though.

Yeah would be nice to see some footage. On paper though they have say 2 1/2 months, or a bit more to meet the September shipping timeline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

On paper though they have say 2 1/2 months, or a bit more to meet the September shipping timeline.

B&H reckon they'll be shipping on September 3rd. That's 5 weeks from now. That's not very far away at all. I would have thought with so little time between now and delivery, BM would know by now if they're going to meet the target date or not. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they already have warehouses in a few countries full of packed up cameras ready to ship out. 

 

Then again, I have no idea of the manufacturing and shipping industries... maybe they'll make and pack them all on the 2nd for next day global delivery. 📬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

B&H reckon they'll be shipping on September 3rd. That's 5 weeks from now. That's not very far away at all. I would have thought with so little time between now and delivery, BM would know by now if they're going to meet the target date or not. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they already have warehouses in a few countries full of packed up cameras ready to ship out. 

 

Then again, I have no idea of the manufacturing and shipping industries... maybe they'll make and pack them all on the 2nd for next day global delivery. 📬

Ehh there is all of July, all of August and 4 days in this month, and the 3 days of September. Your math is sort of funny LoL. 😵

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

You can add noise just as easy as film grain. Different things. Noise is not film grain. Years ago we added noise to cover up poor resolution. It was a TV trick for years for early ENG cameras..

I've seen people add noise in preparation of harsh compression to prevent banding and other compression artefacts, especially for online compression.

It's a common technique - they add noise in audio under very specific situations because it can lower artefacts (dither).

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Speaking of BM 4K BMPCC screens. There is this photo I found. It doesn't look too big in this shot. That guy is not that big either.

But we are not going to be able to stick one in our pocket that is for sure!

Oh, I don't know.  There's talk in other threads about just using a small kit lens or a single wide angle, so if you do that and have cargo pants or one of those vests that can take a 70-200 2.8 then it might be just fine!  😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Savannah Miller said:

I say lackluster, because these days, less than 14 stops of DR doesn't cut it as a cinema camera.  So many prosumer cams (ursa mini pro, eva1, c200, fs7) offer noticeably more dynamic range.

I doubt anyone can actually tell the difference between 13 and 14 stops. 

Also, I believe the Pocket 4k will offer more than 13 stops, and less than 14 (if it has a similar sensor to the GH5s, since it seems to have more dynamic range than the 13 stops on the GH5).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Savannah Miller said:

I say lackluster, because these days, less than 14 stops of DR doesn't cut it as a cinema camera.  So many prosumer cams (ursa mini pro, eva1, c200, fs7) offer noticeably more dynamic range.

So you are saying the Pocket doesn’t cut it as a cinema camera, is that right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jonpais said:

So you are saying the Pocket doesn’t cut it as a cinema camera, is that right?

No it does.  But more of a secondary camera for smaller shots or in tight situations.  Or if you're traveling and need something small and light.

Terra 4K is a similar image, but it's marketed as a main-body camera by housing it in such a professional body and having such PRO accessories.

Kinefinity cameras have always looked very expensive, but their images have suggested otherwise.  With the newer lineup, MAVO and MAVO LF, this looks to be different as now they finally have more DR too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Savannah Miller said:

No it does.  But more of a secondary camera for smaller shots or in tight situations.  Or if you're traveling and need something small and light.

Terra 4K is a similar image, but it's marketed as a main-body camera by housing it in such a professional body and having such PRO accessories.

Kinefinity cameras have always looked very expensive, but their images have suggested otherwise.  With the newer lineup, MAVO and MAVO LF, this looks to be different as now they finally have more DR too.

How can you be so sure the Terra 4K has a similar image when we haven’t even seen footage yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...