Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I see dead cameras....

.....joke. But blimey, doesn't look great. Exaggerated by YT compressions etc?

Further comment about autofocus: It seems to work better in video mode (AF-C) before the record button is pressed - which seems a little unfortunate. Still investigating tweaks of various kinds. I can see it wants to work, hints of awesome performance are seen though these are heavily tempered by lots of essentially hanging in perpetual blur type behaviour...

I'm suspicious that the image stabilisation when using the 50-140mm (only lens I have with lens stabilisation) is worse than using lens only in the X-T2. Just a gut feeling, as I cannot test side by side anymore. I like the IBIS stabilisation performance with the 34mm 1.4 most, 90mm F2 also good, 16-55 F2.8 also good I think.

I still like/want to love this camera.....c'mon a Fuji SuperTweak to FW! Or perhaps a formal guide to explain as to how to get the best from AF in video settings, just in case we're all just doing something wrong...

OK, I watched on youtube (rather than just "play" the video here), and the guy posted to specifically showcase the moire issues, it's not only me!

It is not only the moire, the image in general is terrible in all modes. It could be high ISO performance though, but still I didn't expect that kind of image from that camera. Weird.

• Super Members

Blimey, that looks troubling.

In the days when you used to have to ruin your images with cheesy effects in camera rather than in Lightroom, Cokin used to do a filter called the Diffractor Cosmos 040 

Looks like Fuji have been emulating that as well as film stocks ;)

WSA040-2.jpg

Interesting comparison. G9 vs X-H1 vs A7III. Not sure it has been posted?

https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/4263057

6 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

The same music video shot on the GH5 and the X-H1. The GH5 had some manual lens and it's either soft or the focusing is not perfect, so try to focus on color only.

Which one do you prefer? I like the colors of the X-H1 much better.

They look like the same picture on my Monitor?

Was set to shift a XT2 and get the XH1, but some of the early hiccups and the a7III give me pause. I'm sure they'll be ironed out with a FW update in time. A7III would be a near perfect cam if the EVF were on par with the XH1's. Same for the XH1 if it had better AF coverage, eye AF, a bigger battery and no crop. Still on the fence between both. Eterna is calling me...

Chris

Looks damn good. Those Fuji film simulation just nail contrast and color without any tweaks. I was messing around with video on my x100f and couldn’t believe how amazing skintones looked, but file was brittle as hell when moving. Reminded me of the ole T2i. I’d love to play around with some files from the X-H1.

27 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Looks damn good. Those Fuji film simulation just nail contrast and color without any tweaks. I was messing around with video on my x100f and couldn’t believe how amazing skintones looked, but file was brittle as hell when moving. Reminded me of the ole T2i. I’d love to play around with some files from the X-H1.

https://fencheljanisch.wetransfer.com/downloads/bd19d67a3598ac7f2c516512451f643a20180309163121/e2d530

19 hours ago, Attila Bakos said:

The same music video shot on the GH5 and the X-H1. The GH5 had some manual lens and it's either soft or the focusing is not perfect, so try to focus on color only.

Which one do you prefer? I like the colors of the X-H1 much better.

I don't understand why they went through so much trouble but did not bother to WB accurately for both cameras. 

I agree that the X-H1 looks better but that is probably only because in GH5 there is a significant shift towards green tint whereas the X-H1 is slightly towards magenta. 

5aa69216958e6_ScreenShot2018-03-12at9_43_13AM.thumb.png.7d3bd0144cb6b73de96c4a9d5280eee3.png

On a positive note, it's true, Eterna looks really great, really really great. BTW you can't use ISO < 800 with Eterna as per using Flog.

If you're going to use an external recorder (why bother now - ok exposure tools like FC an zebra's - c'mon the FW update) get a straight connector HDMI cable not one with a 90degree bend as it won't play nice with the (sensible) accompanying screw-in HDMI cable holder. Yes I've broken one HDMI port on the X-T2 before with very light use.

As others have said, the camera is a beefier X-T2. Build quality is excellent, it's noticeably heavier, but frankly very quick to acclimatise to and very similar. Is it better/worse, I prefer it certainly and not just because it's new, however, I would always use the X-T2 with battery grip. With the X-H1, I prefer without the grip (spare batteries in pocket) as it's certainly not subtle with the grip attached and say 16-55. I love this camera with the now brilliantly stabilised 35mm 1.4.

Touchscreen performance, hmm, not spectacular. Certainly room for improvement here.

Spare batteries, it's true that you'll need a few without the grip. Not really a massive headache imho.

The Q-button, hmm, not sure this is placed in the most sensible position (on the thumb rest) as it frequently get's knocked/activated

Exposure compensation (photos) button, again, not loving this location/button type at present. Ergonomically not great for me at least. Depending on how you use the camera will determine how big a deal is this, for some loads, for me not really if i'm honest.

More testing reveals that Autofocus is in fact not toilet. Could you rely on it 100% for more critical shots, of course not, not at this stage of FW development, but despite some strong words on the topic, it's really not appalling and certainly does deliver wonderful transitions (not always noticeably stepped btw) at times. I feel it is strongly influenced by the amount of available light, which perhaps is not that surprising. Is there room for performance improvements, I certainly hope so and based on past experience believe it will happen. Fuji have created a great camera here, if you like Fuji, you'll like this, as after all we put up with the evolving software for the pleasure of the hardware right? Which other cameras feel this solid/crafted within a reasonable price bracket?

How to solve how to switch between video and photo mode via the top rotating toggle (and loss of 1/48th shutter speed), buy two bodies of course. I see the frustration with this, would be nice to have a short cut to directly jump into video record from photo mode.

Question, probably very simple, does anyone know how to avoid (turn-off) focus magnification punch in when in manual focus mode? I seem to be able to disable this in photo but not video mode.