Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

2 minutes ago, Django said:

Sorry but Tony Northrup is a sell-out and has been called out for his once again ridiculous claims..

the other Vegas youtubers have also been called out for flat out lies:

don't believe the hype!

Whatever - then what you’re essentially saying is that his  1 million subscribers are also ignorant, including myself, and I should take @Mattias Burling’s word as gospel - even though he hates digital video!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

The shadows/highlights settings doesn't really do anything different.

But they do, especially shadows. I did many tests in the past, the difference is visible in high contrast situations. There was a discussion about this on liftgammagain where I posted my results but unfortunately I deleted them long time ago and I don't have a Fuji body at this moment. So you either believe me or not :)

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@Mattias Burling’s word as gospel - even though he hates digital video!

If it was up to me you wouldn't take my advice on anything, specially since I never gave you any. You just make shit up. I share my opinion and you constantly challenge it like some fundamentalist. Again here you lie and put words in my mouth even though we never met. 

1 minute ago, Mattias Burling said:

If it was up to me you wouldn't take my advice on anything, specially since I never gave you any. You just make shit up. I share my opinion and you constantly challenge it like some fundamentalist. Again here you lie and put words in my mouth even though we never met. 

You share nothing but ill-informed opinions. 

3 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Whatever - then what you’re essentially saying is that his  1 million subscribers are also ignorant, including myself, and I should take @Mattias Burling’s word as gospel - even though he hates digital video!

have you even watched the videos i linked? the 1 million subscribers actually gets mentioned/explained too.. i don't want to make a parallel with politics but number of voters/subscribers doesn't necessarily translate to the speaker saying the truth or that his word should be 'taken as gospel' either..

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

But they do, especially shadows. I did many tests in the past, the difference is visible in high contrast situations. There was a discussion about this on liftgammagain where I posted my results but unfortunately I deleted them long time ago and I don't have a Fuji body at this moment. So you either believe me or not :)

I believe you :) 
Im just talking about my needs and experiences. Ive never challenged anyone, thats just something the angry fellow makes up in his head. Must be the sun down there.

I see no difference between them worth mentioning. I see zero reason to play with shadows and highlights in camera since I have been able to replicate it in post.
That doesn't mean you didn't see a difference. We simply might have been under different circumstances, expose differently, or edit differently.
Or we just have different bars when it comes to what we view as a significant difference.

Its just like when I said Im glad they stuck with a flip screen, because I have much more use for that than a fully articulating. Some would just chalk it up under "a different preference". And a few angry fellows will go ape shit and try everything to ridicule it, convince me its "wrong" or just act up like a baby.

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, jonpais said:

yep

OK, speculation mode ON

On a stills oriented camera like the X-T2 you can maybe brush only being able to do 720p remotely under the carpet but its trickier to do on your video oriented one where it WILL be used.

You would think that you wouldn't willingly cripple the function like that unless you had some sort of restriction (presumably with processing) that dictated it. Something to do with it using so many resources in full video mode that it can't deal with the wifi comms at the same time would be one likely possibility.  If I follow that theory along then it would make me think that it is almost analogous to a dual boot system and that when you put the WiFi on, it "re-boots" for want of a better expression into stills mode and stills mode CAN handle video recording but only in 720p.

That may well also explain why you can't even re-map a button to start video recording when in stills mode as a compromise to the physical switch objection.

If we remember, there was also evidence of a lot of side effects of correction processing happening when stepping through zoom ranges in video mode on the X-T2.

The DR100/200/400 impact on AF is perhaps also adding to a pattern of let's call it potential quirkiness when Fuji are doing video. 

I seem to remember saying at the time when IBIS was generally considered an impossibility on any future Fuji cameras that maybe it wasn't such a bad thing as the zoom lens issue on the X-T2 showed that they were having enough issues processing image correction in real time as it was without adding IBIS into the equation.

I expect to see a LOT more side by sides happening with the X-T2 to see if that particular chicken has come home to roost.

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, jonpais said:

You share nothing but ill-informed opinions. 

Then feel free to use the forums built in ignore function. I often see you say all kinds of things that I think is about kokoo, but I just scroll by. Its your opinion and you are entitled to it. You should try to do the same.

25 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Im just talking about my needs and experiences. Ive never challenged anyone, thats just something the angry fellow makes up in his head. Must be the sun down there.

I see no difference between them worth mentioning. I see zero reason to play with shadows and highlights in camera since I have been able to replicate it in post.
That doesn't mean you didn't see a difference. We simply might have been under different circumstances, expose differently, or edit differently.
Or we just have different bars when it comes to what we view as a significant difference.

Its just like when I said Im glad they stuck with a flip screen, because I have much more use for that than a fully articulating. Some would just chalk it up under "a different preference". And a few angry fellows will go ape shit and try everything to ridicule it, convince me its "wrong" or just act up like a baby.

What I see is a wimp who plays fast and loose with the facts, who resorts to lashing out at people rather than engaging in conversation - someone who is more interested in being right rather than aiming at the truth. 

2 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

That's totally fine by me :) But since we are talking about it, I searched through my folders and found one example. Here I didn't touch highlights, only shadows, shot the scene with shadows set to 0, then shadows set to -2, and pushed both to the same level in post. While the difference is not that much, it's there. Check the grass (in full screen) in the lower right section, more details and less color noise at -2.

Shadows at 0:

pronegstd_0_shadows.thumb.jpg.9987bdf95a6e72b23791f33b6e2057ce.jpg

Shadows at -2:

pronegstd_-2_shadows.thumb.jpg.e9bd1b3dcfaac52399ff10ea185b6e19.jpg

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

That's totally fine by me :) But since we are talking about it, I searched through my folders and found one example. Here I didn't touch highlights, only shadows, shot the scene with shadows set to 0, then shadows set to -2, and pushed both to the same level in post. While the difference is not that much, it's there. Check the grass (in full screen) in the lower right section, more details and less color noise at -2.

Shadows at 0: Shadows at -2:

Cool, can you share the original clips or perhaps quickly shoot two new once?
Would love to try again and see if I can see a difference in post.

1 minute ago, Mattias Burling said:

Cool, can you share the original clips or perhaps quickly shoot two new once?
Would love to try again and see if I can see a difference in post.

Sorry I don't have the originals anymore, and I also sold my X-T2 a few weeks ago. But this should be easy to replicate, if you have a Fuji now.

still trying to figure out, if @jonpais has a personal problem with Fujifilm or is just trolling.

Anyway, the thread got absolutely useless through input of people just repeating what they heard somewhere and not trying the camera. There is no gain for me visiting this thread, so if anyone has any questions about the camera (I own it for nearly 2 weeks now, so have a bit of experience) feel free to ask. But link me or pm me, because I don't think I will visit the thread anymore.  

13 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

still trying to figure out, if @jonpais has a personal problem with Fujifilm or is just trolling.

Anyway, the thread got absolutely useless through input of people just repeating what they heard somewhere and not trying the camera. There is no gain for me visiting this thread, so if anyone has any questions about the camera (I own it for nearly 2 weeks now, so have a bit of experience) feel free to ask. But link me or pm me, because I don't think I will visit the thread anymore.  

That’s awfully nice of you to volunteer. When you have a chance, would you be so kind as to check whether these bugs still persist? Thanks a bunch!

Touch screen mode is set to AF. Camera is in manual focus mode. When tapping twice on the LCD screen (Or turning the lens focus ring), the picture will be zoomed in for easier focusing judgment (which is fine) BUT, when tapping on the LCD on a point to focus, the camera will start recording instead of focusing

In manual focus mode. When in stand-by mode, turning the lens focus ring. The picture will “jump in” for easier focusing judgment BUT it will NOT “jump out” for the actual framing when pressing the record button. The same applies when already recording. Touch the focus ring, picture will zoom-in, but will stay like this and won’t go back to the original framing after a second or two

“Natural Live View” is nice when using it in combination with F-Log as it will allow you to see and monitor how the picture will look like with a certain LUT on it. Unfortunately, this feature is also active in other film simulation modes, making it easy to mistake the look you are after

Dynamic range is stated in percentages (400%, 200%). For us filmmakers who talk in “stops”, this piece of information is a bit useless. I understood from FUJIFILM that different shooting modes result in different dynamic range values, so how about pre-setting the camera to give the best possible dynamic range at any setting without the possibility to choose to lower it in the menu?

Audio monitoring is somehow distorted with the headphones I used

At times, when external microphone is used, when adjusting the audio menu to “Off”, audio can still be heard

At times, when external microphone is used, when adjusting the audio levels, sound can be cut off, become muted and camera will freeze

The overall picture size and menu layout structure in the EVF will change when switching between the manual focus mode and one of the other autofocus modes. Very distracting

When waving a hand in front of the EVF, the external monitor/recorder blacks out

1 hour ago, Django said:

Panasonic are on their 6th GH release that they've been working on improving for the past 10 years. It's a video-oriented product & they also have a pro video department to work with..

Fujifilm is a stills oriented camera maker with X-H1 being their second serious attempt at video on a hybrid camera. They're essentially newbies to the playing-field.

Fujifilm have been making broadcast and cine zooms for over fifty years with an associated customer base for these lenses ,they are not exactly "green" to this

field.Perhaps some strange Japanese business practice that the broadcast lens department has little to do with developing video features with their camera designs.  I agree that  the progress they have made in video features for their cameras in the last two years is commendable   .

https://www.fujifilm.eu/eu/products/optical-devices/hdtv-lenses/history

1 hour ago, frontfocus said:

Have you run into the grid pattern flare?

34 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Have you run into the grid pattern flare?

yes and no. I have managed to get it, but it was much harder than on older Fuji cameras. Comparing it to the X-T2 directly, it seems the problem has been extremly minimized. If you are free lensing with a very bright lens, it‘s easy to get the flare

@jon are you sure those are bugs by definition? Could be design decisions. DR has been namend DR100-400 (and 800 as well as 1600 on some cameras) since Fuji introduced this feature. Everyone who does even a little of search knows, how many stops of DR it adds and how it does it. Same with the natural liveview. It is designed to deactivate the film simulation to give you a DSLR like experience.  So just because a few don‘t like it with video doesn‘t mean it‘s not supposed to be this way. The list goes on.