The wraps are off! Panasonic EVA1 compact cinema camera announced with Super 35 5.7K sensor and Dual Native ISO

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Number 1 legit German camera tech sit slashcam tested the EVA1 throughout. They call it the possibly best sub 10000 camera available and a hit to come. For the people wondering about 8 and 10 bit difference of c200 and EVA1 codec, here is a comparison of a shot they pushed 5 stops in post:

https://www.slashcam.de/images/texte/1637-CanonC2008Bit5stopsUNder-CanonC2008Bit5stopsUNder.jpg

https://www.slashcam.de/images/texte/1637-EVA10Bit_5stopsunder-EVA10Bit_5stopsunder.jpg

https://www.slashcam.de/images/texte/1637-C200_12Bi5stopstUnder-C200_12Bi5stopstUnder.jpg

Canon 8bit with 148mbit, EVA 10 bit with 150mbit, Canon Rawlite with 1000mbit.

Why does Canon at 8bits have more shadow detail than the EVA1 (under the robot?) and why are all the shadows for the EVA1 blue and raised so up? Also the canon raw retains shadows in the right tree where the EVA1 does not and just has a grey/blue cutoff. BUT It's slashcam so they probably just shot like "whooptydoo" and edited like "whatevers".

@hmcindie looks like they graded it using only an S-Curve, V-log does some funky stuff to the color channels in this camera. ACES input transformation makes this real easy though. 

You can tell that the red in the panny still is more magenta, and the blue is more saturated compared to the c200.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2017 at 9:03 PM, IronFilm said:

footage is in vlog.... for a vlog, ha! Yes, is an amusing pun I just realised this second

vlog at twilight with over-cast clouds?...not going to say anything ;)   That is some bitching nice sound though!   You should put your youTube channel in your signature, I had no idea you have a channel!  Also, if you visit the U.S., please don't wear your vest in public, you'll get all the streets closed off and the bomb-sniffing dogs set loose! ;)   

3 hours ago, maxotics said:

vlog at twilight with over-cast clouds?...not going to say anything ;)   

If you read the comment in my video underneath it on YT, you'll see I mentioned it was done after sunset, just grabbed quickly while we were on the move to then set up for our night shoot part of the scene.

We were a mere handful of minutes or so away from the place just going pitch black. 

That is some bitching nice sound though! 

Done with the Aputure Deity, going direct into the EVA1. 
Set up very very quickly, first time setting up the EVA1's audio for this. Big rush. 

Not that great, you can tell when I go waaaaay off axis at one point :-/ Is trick to both be the talent in front of the camera, to remember what I want to say, *and* keep in mind all the technical bits that I should. Ah well, I'll get better with time! :-)

You should put your youTube channel in your signature, I had no idea you have a channel! 

Eh, my channel is still very very new! And the content is still very rough (as I'm trying to keep it rather casual and informal, like Matt Price does with SoundRolling.com). Thus I'm not promoting it too widely everywhere just yet. 
But glad you like it!

6 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Also, if you visit the U.S., please don't wear your vest in public, you'll get all the streets closed off and the bomb-sniffing dogs set loose! ;)   

Guess you haven't seen too many soundies at work.... ?! :confused: My attire is extremely normal and common place for someone in my line of work. 

Or are you referring to my terrorist looking beard?! lol

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

If you read the comment in my video underneath it on YT, you'll see I mentioned it was done after sunset, just grabbed quickly while we were on the move to then set up for our night shoot part of the scene.

I'm supposed to read comments too! :)  Anyway, if you look at my videos you'll know that I should be the LAST person to criticize anyone else's video.  It's not much of a visual test of the camera, no matter how you shot it, so what just making a joke.    Again, great sound!!!

After grading some sample footage from LensProToGo (pulling a former powergrade I did for the GH5 to the EVA1 footage with no adjustments) I'm totally convinced, that the EVA-1 is the best looking camera below 10 grands. Colorscience is superb (only slightly different than the GH5 - Powergrade worked perfectly), absolutely no image "worseners" like sharpening nor noisereduction - great detail and noise structure, and great motion cadence as well as dynamic range. Only the 8 bit artifacts in the slowmotion parts worry me a bit.

Link to original grading (+ links to raw footage) here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dy8djdDPyc

7 hours ago, deezid said:

After grading some sample footage from LensProToGo (pulling a former powergrade I did for the GH5 to the EVA1 footage with no adjustments) I'm totally convinced, that the EVA-1 is the best looking camera below 10 grands. Colorscience is superb (only slightly different than the GH5 - Powergrade worked perfectly), absolutely no image "worseners" like sharpening nor noisereduction - great detail and noise structure, and great motion cadence as well as dynamic range. Only the 8 bit artifacts in the slowmotion parts worry me a bit.

Link to original grading (+ links to raw footage) here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dy8djdDPyc

Sam Peckinpah loves you from afar. He might not like the output in Slo Mo but...

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.5a413b50a68f80168eb306b0f334b3e9.png

Interesting set up here that Kai is being filmed with.

Is a GH5 with a GoPro mounted on top, with then the latest Rode VideoMic on top of that!! But weirdest of all, the microphone is pointed AWAY from Kai!! :-o

Wonder why? Very curious. 

Is it to capture interactions with his crew (the cameraman)? As sometimes there is a bit of both of them talking in the video. I doubt it, as why not just clip a lav on him instead? Only twenty quid or less for that! And a much better result. 

Maybe they're doing some audio magic by subtracting the surrounding street noise? No, I highly doubt that. 

Adam Wilt provides what I'd say is probably the best review of the camera. Not "best" as in positive. I mean "best" as in the most comprehensive without exaggerating the impact of its highlights or shortcomings. Just straightforward reporting of his findings. Definitely a worthy read for any owners or potential buyers.   

https://www.provideocoalition.com/review-panasonic-au-eva1-4k-cine-camera/

• 1 month later...

Man I had to go a Long ways back to get a real EVA1 thread! I know sort of out of out price ranges for the most part. Well new Firmware announced with Raw. Nice. Speaking of EVA1, where is Zak!

https://nofilmschool.com/2018/02/eva1-firmware-update-unleashes-full-raw-potential

http://www.4kshooters.net/2018/02/23/panasonic-eva1-firmware-2-0-details-5-7k-raw-4k-60p-raw-output/

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Provided article revealed that Raw data output via 6G-SDI will be:

5.7K Raw up to 30p (S35)

4K Raw up to 60p (Four Thirds Crop)

2K Raw up to 240fps (Four Thirds Crop)

What's me in theory interest is: regarding 4/3 Crop, would be in theory possible to use m43 lenses and get raw files if EVA1 (or some of its variant) provide changeability also to m43 mount as solution?

On 08/01/2018 at 12:48 PM, IronFilm said:

Interesting set up here that Kai is being filmed with.

Is a GH5 with a GoPro mounted on top, with then the latest Rode VideoMic on top of that!! But weirdest of all, the microphone is pointed AWAY from Kai!! :-o

Wonder why? Very curious. 

That caught my eye in the video too when I was watching it, so I messaged Tim on Instagram and he said it was for a vlog that he's recording for his channel while he's shooting with Kai.

I studied the screenshots as I have created a similar setup, but what I couldn't see was where Kai's lav mic was going - it's not going into the GoPro or into the GH5, so I suspect it's an outboard recorder of some kind tucked in a pocket and synced manually.  This makes sense as occasionally Kai will be a long distance from the camera but still audible.

When you vlog you want something wide angle that will focus reliably, the GoPro seems pretty well suited for that.  My setup for home videos is a Rode VMP+ pointing forwards going into my XC10, and my old GoPro Hero 3 with a Rode VideoMicro pointing backwards at me.  The GoPro will be used in 2.7k Wide mode with Protune for a semi-flat profile, and also for timelapses of things like sunsets, where because it's recording photos and not video, it gets a very high bitrate UHD output and can use slower shutter speeds so its poor ISO performance will only come into play when it gets much darker than for video.  I'm still working out the kinks with this setup but for the first time I might actually appear in the videos I make!

9 hours ago, anonim said:

Provided article revealed that Raw data output via 6G-SDI will be:

5.7K Raw up to 30p (S35)

4K Raw up to 60p (Four Thirds Crop)

2K Raw up to 240fps (Four Thirds Crop)

What's me in theory interest is: regarding 4/3 Crop, would be in theory possible to use m43 lenses and get raw files if EVA1 (or some of its variant) provide changeability also to m43 mount as solution?

I don't see why not if someone would make a m4/3 to EF adapter, Sort of the same thing the JVC LS300 is doing.