The wraps are off! Panasonic EVA1 compact cinema camera announced with Super 35 5.7K sensor and Dual Native ISO

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wow, pretty awesome. I prefer the Varicam's image to the F55. Cleaner, better color. 

Seriously, this and the C200 are 98% of an Alexa for $7500. There's no more excuse for bad looking footage. (Except the lighting and art department budgets lol.)

Amazing price/performance. Content to see a lack of image stabilization, though I'm sure some people would appreciate it. It's a heavy body and most pros (this looks like a professional camera) frown on IS of all types. I don't think anyone was really expecting it in a full-sized camera body, even if it was on a few wish lists. 

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, HockeyFan12 said:

Wow, pretty awesome. I prefer the Varicam's image to the F55. Cleaner, better color. 

Seriously, this and the C200 are 98% of an Alexa for $7500. There's no more excuse for bad looking footage. (Except the lighting and art department budgets lol.)

Amazing price/performance. Content to see a lack of image stabilization, though I'm sure some people would appreciate it. It's a heavy body and most pros (this looks like a professional camera) frown on IS of all types. I don't think anyone was really expecting it in a full-sized camera body, even if it was on a few wish lists. 

It would have been nice if Panasonic had applied their 5 axis IBIS tech to the new, larger sensor but I think it's probably difficult to have a sensor bobbling around behind an ND filter wheel and remain cost effective. Also with the sensor moving around they could have well run out of image circle with EF-S and Super 35mm lenses, some are quite marginal at the edges of the sensor.

7 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

It also doesn't look like there's a viewfinder?

Not much point having one on the back like the FS5 does, when you can put a proper one on the top handle offset to the side so it's in the right position. It's really uncomfortable having it on the back and impossible even to use it when camera's on the shoulder.

3 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

So this looks awesome. Any chance of a lower specced version at $4k?

If they were to do that I think it would be in a DSLR/Hybrid format. This won't eat into their Pro Camcorder sales, but a $4000 version would. 

I predict that JVC will add internal Raw to the LS300 and it will look and work amazingly, and no one will care. 

22 minutes ago, mercer said:

If they were to do that I think it would be in a DSLR/Hybrid format. This won't eat into their Pro Camcorder sales, but a $4000 version would. 

I predict that JVC will add internal Raw to the LS300 and it will look and work amazingly, and no one will care. 

LS300 with internal 2K RAW. Great idea. Instant buy!

16 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

I'm disappointed they didn't leave it Super 35 and just stick to the MFT mount. I'm guess others that have invested in panasonic glass may be having the same reaction right now...

Idk, if I were a GH5 owner I think I'd be pretty damn happy right now... by the end of August's FW update, for more than half the price, you're getting the same 400mbps 10bit with 5-axis IBIS. 

I was pretty excited that the C200 was offering compressed RAW, 15 stops of DR, and solid color science. buuuut there are a lot of compelling specs in the EVA -- 240fps in 2K, even in short bursts, would be fun to have. If they can truly attain Varicam color and 14+ stops of DR, i might be tempted. But I worry that 400mbps won't be enough. That's half what 10 bit ProRes 422 HQ would be at DCI 4K. 

Anyone know the crop factor for the Varicam line? I know, I know, screw crop factor. I only ask because I want to calculate the widest taking lens I can use with my anamorphic set. Canon Super35 is 1.6x. Not sure about Panny. 1.5x maybe?

18 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

I'm disappointed they didn't leave it Super 35 and just stick to the MFT mount. I'm guess others that have invested in panasonic glass may be having the same reaction right now...

Also, no Canon FD glass without cropping adapters :( But no more speedboosters necessary for that glorious S35 Look, Varicam sensor, awesome!

Also best light sensivity after Sony A7S, without the 8bit artefacts!

Sucks so bad the Panasonic EVA1 lacks a Locking Micro Four Thirds Mount (like a baby made from the union of the JVC LS300 & Sony FS7 mk2 mounts).

Panasonic has blown a massive opportunity to provide an upgrade path for their GH users as they progress through their career, & was an opportunity to grow Panasonic GH5 sales at the same time.

However credit can be given to Panasonic for blasting out of the water the C200 which Canon just announced, but that fact should surprise exactly no one.

Just now, Zak Forsman said:

I was pretty excited that the C200 was offering compressed RAW, 15 stops of DR, and solid color science. buuuut there are a lot of compelling specs in the EVA. If they can truly attain Varicam color and 14+ stops of DR, i might be tempted. But I worry that 400mbps won't be enough. That's half what 10 bit ProRes 422 HQ would be at DCI 4K. 

Think Varicam LT has the same 400mbit codec, doesnt it? And its supposed to be pretty nice for lower framerates.

2 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Think Varicam LT has the same 400mbit codec, doesnt it? And its supposed to be pretty nice for lower framerates.

That's good to hear. Definitely keeping an open mind. I've got a big four month job coming up that will finish in the fall, leaving me flush with cash for a new camera this fall. :)

PS -- my very first camera, when I was a teenager, was a Panasonic SVHS camcorder.

3 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

I was pretty excited that the C200 was offering compressed RAW, 15 stops of DR, and solid color science. buuuut there are a lot of compelling specs in the EVA. If they can truly attain Varicam color and 14+ stops of DR, i might be tempted. But I worry that 400mbps won't be enough. That's half what 10 bit ProRes 422 HQ would be at DCI 4K. 

Idk, I think the C200 is the winner here. If you don't use Canon glass, you could buy the C200B for $5999 and then just buy that Ikan 3.5" 4K monitor and shoot 4K Raw up to 60p with 15 stops of DR and Canon color... and you probably already own a 4K monitor? With your Contax Zeiss lenses... that would be a killer set up. Btw, I tested that Footage app you mentioned with some 5D3 clips... not a bad program at all. Processed them as C Log and a basic C Log to Rec709 LUT worked great. Even an Impulz LUT looked pretty good. 

1 minute ago, Zak Forsman said:

That's good to hear. Definitely keeping an open mind. I've got a big four month job coming up that will finish in the fall, leaving me flush with cash for a new camera this fall. :)

Let´s get a poll started for your camera to buy! Will be a heck of beautiful VLOG colors without nasties :)