Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Jimmy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This badboy is seriously on my radar.    If i take the plunge it'll be mated with a super fast s16mm 16mm/1.4, a pistol grip, and a optical viewfinder, shooting Prores LT.  all focusing will be done with the focus scale on the lens and using hyperfocal distance.  even at f1.4 it'll be pretty easy to get focus right with the scale and knowing usable dof at 1m and beyond.

Didn't even think about using it as is without the video assist. That would suddenly make it a whole other fun way of shooting indeed. Although, I haven't been shooting on film back in the day, so I'm no natural at figuring out if with ISO800, 180°, f/2.8 I'd be over- or underexposing for any given situation. There I've come to heavily rely on the in-camera exposure meter and histogram unfortunately.

That said, indeed, I'll probably be selling off two of my BMPCCs to get one of these. The option of global shutter is awesome and the battery upgrade is more than welcome! Plus, you can really use it as some sort of action cam too. Just add some GoPro adapter and you can use it with all the GoPro accessories and mounts. I don't know, I'm more excited about this little camera than the expensive 4K stuff from any given manufacturer that's not shipping out yet. Except perhaps the A6300. Might be a cool combo those two. One for the solid image and the other if you'd need the 4K and slowmo capabilities. Two little cameras, roughly the same price, other applications, but might be a perfect synergy.

58 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Didn't even think about using it as is without the video assist. That would suddenly make it a whole other fun way of shooting indeed. Although, I haven't been shooting on film back in the day, so I'm no natural at figuring out if with ISO800, 180°, f/2.8 I'd be over- or underexposing for any given situation. There I've come to heavily rely on the in-camera exposure meter and histogram unfortunately.

adds to the fun.  13stops of dr gives you an awful lot of headroom!  grab a cheap analog lightmeter, get an exposure on the highlights and work from there.  The amazing thing is that for each clip you can push or pull the footage in raw individually.  with a roll of film if you are underexposed on one shot out of 20 you can;t just push process that one shot otherwise the rest will be over.  even with prores Lt and film dr the lumetri adjustments for exposure give almost as much control as with raw.  

2 hours ago, richg101 said:

This badboy is seriously on my radar.    If i take the plunge it'll be mated with a super fast s16mm 16mm/1.4, a pistol grip, and a optical viewfinder, shooting Prores LT.  all focusing will be done with the focus scale on the lens and using hyperfocal distance.  even at f1.4 it'll be pretty easy to get focus right with the scale and knowing usable dof at 1m and beyond.

And for framing you add one of these DavidS_LeicaSportframe4.jpg

• Administrators
4 hours ago, richg101 said:

optical viewfinder is a brilliant idea

Check out the Sigma ones. They did a few for different focal lengths on their DP and Quattro cameras.

14mm (21mm equiv.) and 30mm (50mm equiv.) are two I am aware of.

And the utterly superb Zeiss finder from the RX1 (35mm equiv.) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-V1K-Optical-Viewfinder-Camera/dp/B009O06XAS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455806726&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+rx1+viewfinder

5 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

I'm going to go ahead and say it. This $1,000 camera looks slightly better to me than the URSA Mini 4.6 footage I've been seeing -- in terms of color rendition and motion cadence. That's a matter of taste to be sure but damn it if it doesn't make sacrificing resolution a no-brainer for such a beautiful cinematic image. I have one pre-ordered. Maybe i should sell my Pocket and get two of these.

Damn that looks good.

It looks great!

But @DPStewart asked him if he could show global shutter footage on bmcuser and apparently the function is still not activated. I think we're in for a bunch of months more delay or that feature will be completely scrapped (which I could kinda live with, the rolling shutter isn't that bad it seems).

1 hour ago, Phil A said:

It looks great!

But @DPStewart asked him if he could show global shutter footage on bmcuser and apparently the function is still not activated. I think we're in for a bunch of months more delay or that feature will be completely scrapped (which I could kinda live with, the rolling shutter isn't that bad it seems).

yeah, GS is the hold-up for both the URSA Mini 4.6K and the Micro Cinema Camera. I hope that (A) they ship soon and GS can be activated in a firmware update, or (B) both cameras' GS issues are so identical that they can be sorted and implemented at the same time.

24 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

yeah, GS is the hold-up for both the URSA Mini 4.6K and the Micro Cinema Camera. I hope that (A) they ship soon and GS can be activated in a firmware update, or (B) both cameras' GS issues are so identical that they can be sorted and implemented at the same time.

But the question is, once the GS issue is solved, will they actually ship out directly or send out to beta testers to make sure it works? That's then at least another one to two months I guess.

I'd be amused if they would actually announce new cameras at NAB, that would be hilarious.

Maybe they'll avoid releasing it in its current form altogether.

Instead of trying little workarounds to make it work better, maybe they'll just update the sensor/processor to a completely new one that just does it well right from the get-go. Nice bonus would be: new sensor is capable of pushing out 4K and they managed to work something out with a firmware upgrade on the Video Assist, so now you can record 4K externally?

A guy can dream... :grin:

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

optical viewfinder is a brilliant idea

Check out the Sigma ones. They did a few for different focal lengths on their DP and Quattro cameras.

14mm (21mm equiv.) and 30mm (50mm equiv.) are two I am aware of.

And the utterly superb Zeiss finder from the RX1 (35mm equiv.) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-V1K-Optical-Viewfinder-Camera/dp/B009O06XAS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455806726&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+rx1+viewfinder

voigtlander do a bunch of very nicely priced units too.  i love the idea of concentrating on framing rather than focusing a shallow lens.  I bet a speedy 10mm H16 lens and a century fish eye adaptor on the front will do some serious cool deep focus stuff!

13 hours ago, richg101 said:

adds to the fun.  13stops of dr gives you an awful lot of headroom!  grab a cheap analog lightmeter, get an exposure on the highlights and work from there.  The amazing thing is that for each clip you can push or pull the footage in raw individually.  with a roll of film if you are underexposed on one shot out of 20 you can;t just push process that one shot otherwise the rest will be over.  even with prores Lt and film dr the lumetri adjustments for exposure give almost as much control as with raw.  

RAW is closer to the telecine process than a push pull. You can easily can be 4/5 stops over and still recover highlights with 16mm. You meter correctly and your footage will always look nice. 

What are you talking about with highlight metering? Zebras will do that for sure and exposing for highlights is great for wides but you can't always do that.