Guylberht

First zero budget short film, seeking feedback!

Hello everyone! I'm a french film school student (however we don't practice often it's just mainly theoretical courses and film analysis) and we had recently to create a short fiction (we were to do around 7 shots). We had the plan with my teammate to explore an old abandoned coal washing facility and decided to make something with it, so here it is!

Sound is important so play it loud :)

Now some explanation. I don't have a lot of money, and our school doesn't have any gear to loan, so we made it a 0$ budget short ahah (well the only thing we paid for was the gas mask). For the prep we had only a few days, so we thought of a story, and we only did the storyboard for the first half of the short (until he enters the factory), as we didn't know what it looked like inside, and we had to improvise on set. It was really run'n'gunning as we only had 9h on location, and some shots are quite rushed...
I shot it with a sony a6000 in AVCHD, with for the most part in exterior the sony 18-105G F4, then in interior the Sony 35mm F1.8 OSS and a Leica Summicron 90mm F2 (pre-asph, which I found in my dad's old camera gear).
For the lighting setup we used an outdoor LED floodlight (which is what the actor is holding inside the factory) and a 200*160 5in1 reflector to bounce some light back.
I edited everything and made the soundtrack on Sony Vegas, then graded everything on DaVinci Resolve Lite.

I'm kinda in a love-hate relationship with it haha, during the edit and post-prod there was some moment I just wanted to delete everything, and I was noticing every little mistake or imperfections, but considering the time limitation, budget the result is fairly ok, and initial feedback was good so I wanted to share it more with people working in this field!
I'd love any advice or feedback from you!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Considering your limitations, I think you did a good job.  A6000 is probably one of the best little HD cams.  Slo-mo looks good and used sparingly.  Color grade works for the gritty feel.  Pacing seems good too.  Didn't feel like 5min film, felt much shorter.  Good thing because this could have dragged like some other short films.  Sound is good and gives a good sense of unease and the whole "apocalyptic" feel.  I think you had a good sense of what you wanted, and then shot it very well.  Edit, sound, music is all good!  Be nice to see it made into a 30min short.  Maybe on the lines of the STALKER PC game or something.

Great!..love the editing, clean cuts, great camera work, great color grading. Its easy to see (or better hear) alot of work went into sound editing. The sound of dripping water is quite dominant in the first factory part, but the actual cut showing some water dripping was very fast. Maybe that close-up of water droplets in the small waterhole towards the end could be set earlier so the viewer can see where the dripping sound is coming from.

All in all really great stuff:) Makes we wish i could start my short film this year...but most difficult part is matching time for me and my friends:(

I really liked it. Great tension, nice shots and sequences, good sound!

One thing I didn't like so much: the slomo shot at 1:06. I think it breaks the pace of that scene.

The slomo around 1:40 fits better (because of the sound), but maybe it would be better to end the running scene with the slomo instead of speeding it up again. Just a thought, not sure how that would actually turn out.

^I agree with Julian on all accounts.

Images look beautiful: very crisp, well cut, and awesome color grading.

I liked the gripping nature and the development of the story.

I didn't like the end scene right after the radio dies (doesn't really convey a sense of anything happening unlike the rest of the short). I would love to see this fleshed out into a 30 min film or so!

I agree with most if what Zack and Julian have said.

The Short is actually pretty good, the folley and sound design are very good, Ibreakised that there is no background score, but the folley and other sounds more than make up for that. The lighting is very decent, and even the dark bits weren't disappointing. I guess a little background score to built the whole thing up, rising to a crescendo at the very end would have made it absolutely stellar.

I cannot believe you shot the intercuts with just a single camera. Also, the intercuts could have been a little faster at the end, to increase the pace, immediately before, like Juliam suggested, probably adding the slow motion in the end. 

Overall, still very impressive. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Sandeepthefifth
      Hey all, I'm looking to shoot a narrative short film with controlled lighting early next year and am thinking about shooting it on my original BMPCC...
      I know, I know. No 4K, terrible low-light, and horrible battery life. But if 1080p was fine, controlled lighting throughout, and an external battery solution, is it better for me to use the original and cancel my 4K pre-order? I could use the money saved to pay for an additional cine prime/actually pay actors a decent wage...
      What would be the advantages in this case of using the 4K over the original?
    • By ulrikjepsen
      Hi,
      Thought i would share a short film, that i have worked on for some time, as the technical side of the production might interest someone here
      You can see the film here. http://www.ekkofilm.dk/shortlist/film/nem-dating/
      There are no subtitles, but the synopsis is this:
      A young high school student gets an after hours job, to pay for a trip around the world with his girlfriend. The job is as a promoter for an online dating site, where he writes to girls there, to keep them as subscribers of the site. One day he realises, that one of the girls are someone close to him, and he tries to make things okay again.
      The film was shot over a week, and we mainly used the GH5. The camera is awesome and i loved the stabilization function, although it sometimes gave us trouble. 
      We where mostly shooting with a Sigma 30mm 1.4 for canon and a focal reducer, and as this is an aps-c lens, it vignettede on the GH5. That is not so much of a problem, but when the camera was on a shoulder-mount also, it would counteract the internal image stabilizer, and the vignette would "bounce" around. So we found out to either use the camera handheld og turn the is of. Also we could use the ex teleconverter function, this lessened the vignette somewhat. We also used a canon 24-70 L 2.8 lens, and when using this, there where no problems with the bounching vignette, as it is a full frame lens.
      For lightning we mainly used Yongnuo led light and some Aputures. They worked great, but the aputures are imo a lot better for color reproduction. 
      For sound, we had a Røde ntg1 connected to a Tascam 60d. It was okay, but the ntg1 has a lot of hiss, and really needs to be close to the talent or have a stronger preamp.
      On the tascam, don't use the highest gain option, it's really noisy.
      I picked the Gh5 over an ursa mini pro for the film, as i could set it up more quickly, the battery would last longer and we didn't have to carry so much gear, which was important, as for the most time the crew constisted of myself on camera and directing, a sound-recordist and a gaffer/lightning guy. 
      In the editing fase, we had to tweak the colors a lot, especially skin tones took a lot of time to get right, as they where a bit read of camera. But, as we filmed in v-log 10 bit, it was not a problem. I have also shot 8 bit footage with the camera, and the image falls apart when doing any grading in v-log, and i dont like the other profiles. I have read some people cant see the difference between 10 og 8 bit, and neither can i. But when you grade them, there is a huge difference, i would not use buy the gh5 if it did not have v-log and 10bit.
      In low light i was also supprised how good the image looked, but i am not so afraid of noise. The camera is great in low light, as long as you have a small amount of light on the subject, like a bedside lamp or something. If there is no light, the camera dont look good, but i dont like those kind of images anyway.
      I have attached some images also, but check the film out, as the stills don't do the footage justice.

• By Bozzie
      Shot on a Canon EOS M (Mk1) with my BOZ FLAT_V1 Picture Profile for Canon DSLR Cameras. Download HERE: https://bulentozdemirfilms.wordpress.com/downloads/boz-flat_v1-canon-picture-style/
      Starring: Selen Adem
      *** Strong Language ***

• By Wild Ranger
      Hi everybody, I'm here to share my test film of the GH5s. 
      Everything was shot with a flashlight and bounced with reflector. ISO 3200, Nikon lens 50mm f1.8

• By whoisjsd
      Hi Everyone! I usually only lurk in the Anamorphic forum, but I recently finished a big spherical project. I teamed up with skater Luis Mora to tell his story while in Tokyo. We shot very quickly all around the city and still didn't get everywhere. I also gained a new respect for skate filmers, as it's really hard to do right. Overall, we met his hard deadline with only hours to spare. Other than wishing I had more time to color correct (Most of the choices were his, especially anything that has been brightened) but I'm pretty damn happy with the result for the time we took to make it!

Gear list:
      Panasonic GH5, 95% shot with V-LOG
      4K 60fps and a few at 1080p 120 fps
      Panasonic Leica Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 (75% of shots)
      Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 (20%)
      Voightlander 17.5mm f/0.95 (5%)
      Several variable ND filters
      Beholder DS2A Gimbal with D2S 5th axis arms.
      Simple tripod screw grip handle
      Only about half of it was shot with the gimbal. The GH5's stabilization is mind blowing. Using IS Lock at all the right moments makes a HUGE difference. It's a game changer.