Sony New Camera Launch - 29th March 2023

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I wonder how the AF performs with EF lenses. Vs my panasonic s5 ii as autofocus with EF lenses is really great on the s5ii. 

The dollar - euro price ratio is weird though 2200 dollars vs 2700 euro. That is such a huge pricejump for european people. I could fly to new york, have a city trip and fly back for the same price as I would buy one in Europe.

1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

The dollar - euro price ratio is weird though 2200 dollars vs 2700 euro. That is such a huge pricejump for european people. I could fly to new york, have a city trip and fly back for the same price as I would buy one in Europe.

Actually, that is not a bad idea!

I’m not going to go buy a new camera just to do this, but next time I do, I might just look at the dollar price and if it makes sense, go do that, dump the packaging, use it, bring it back.

👍

32 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I’m not going to go buy a new camera just to do this, but next time I do, I might just look at the dollar price and if it makes sense, go do that, dump the packaging, use it, bring it back.

Or fold the packaging flat, so that you can post it back to yourself cheaply. 

Then you can reuse the packaging to get a bit higher selling price when  you inevitably end up selling your gear in six months time. 

To my view this is a hell of a new tool from what they promise to deliver. Looks like AI is coming to stay also for these capture devices. That one-(wo)man-show Morocco footage stands such point, you can mark it oh boy, once it's not easy to find a better travel FF camera, let's not forget, in the least.

http://thenewcamera.com/sony-zv-e1-vs-sony-fx30/

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/sony-vs-sony/zv-e1-vs-a7s-iii/

@newfoundmass

My argument was that we all didn't start with the equipment we now use..I am not sure that this makes this camera less capable for what it was made for..there are half a dozen Sony cameras one can choose (for around that money) and I choose noone, by the way! For me it is not a big deal, for some people this camera is a dream, and I get it..

4K120p crop from a previous crop per se from FF by itself placed me out of the FX30 deal : )

Hard now when looks like is able to handle about 50 minutes of 4K50p, let's see what happens then ; )

People are getting FF on Sony side (a7R) for 400 bucks some used units, seems crazy to keep it (so) simple :- )

Well, in black ; ) this guy says he has tested it under 24ºC 4K 24p and lasts more than a couple of hours reduced to a 1/4 when the frame rate is increased 2.5x...

The trick is going cinematic all way round and better accept the workaround : D 

@Emanuel Not that simple, don't forget its also codec dependant. 8-bit xavc-s won't overheat nearly as fast as 10-bit xavc-i. Also depends on the bitrate (long gop vs all-i). And ambient temperature. That's why some tests show only a couple minutes before overheating and others get hours. The frame rate is just one part of the equation. I'm sure AI features reduce time as well. And since it can even overheat while browsing menus you have to also be mindful of that. Basically I wouldn't trust this camera for anything else than b-roll or as a c-cam.

15 minutes ago, Django said:

@Emanuel Not that simple, don't forget its also codec dependant. 8-bit xavc-s won't overheat nearly as fast as 10-bit xavc-i. Also depends on the bitrate (long gop vs all-i). And ambient temperature. That's why some tests show only a couple minutes before overheating and others get hours. The frame rate is just one part of the equation. I'm sure AI features reduce time as well. And since it can even overheat while browsing menus you have to also be mindful of that. Basically I wouldn't trust this camera for anything else than b-roll or as a c-cam.

For sure, I was just making fun from his findings anyway but it's some testing at least... Gordon Laing has succeeded to reach 52 minutes going with 4K50p on his turn... This is anything but a travel camera after all, it is what it is :- )

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

For sure, I was just making fun from his findings anyway but it's some testing at least... Gordon Laing has succeeded to reach 52 minutes going with 4K50p on his turn... This is anything but a travel camera after all, it is what it is :- )

All he mentions is XAVC-HS which is the low bitrate LongGop codec. But he doesn't specify 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 or ambient temp etc.

At the highest bitrate this guy got 15 minutes in 4K60p indoors 20 degrees Celsius. Also the recovery times seem terrible:

25 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

Never without it when shooting under tropical sun

Not that daft an idea… In 30+ Celsius direct Summer sun when a camera is going to be on a tripod for say 30+ minutes, I often drape a white cloth over it simply to avoid some of that direct sun heat.

Otherwise, working typically May-Sep in mostly SW France in mostly 30+ Celsius, absolutely no way I will ever work with a camera without a fan ever again as every single one to date, HAS overheated mid job.

If I was a Sony shooter, I’d have no problem using this new kid on a gimbal for limited use…but then why when Sony offer much cheaper alternatives that would do that job as equally well