Now it is a surprise - DPReview is closing

Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

• Administrators
2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

In a blink of an eye we're going to enter the "Web 4.0" era within a few years, when there is more AI written content on the internet than there is human written content. And you won't be able to tell the difference. 

Wunderbar.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sad but true.

I was mentioning the old Web 2.0 definition where users to interact and collaborate with each other as creators of user-generated content in a virtual community. This contrasts the first generation of Web 1.0-era websites where people were limited to viewing content in a passive manner.

Well, now everyone is chasing the dream of becoming a "Creator," and they are all so intent on generating "content" that, in many cases, the dialogue has gone to zero.
Twitter is a prime example. Everyone tweets their bullshit but rarely responds to comments but that's the way it is now on all platforms. That is why I was writing that we are back to Web 1.0.
No one is interested in interactivity anymore.
Maybe in Web 5.0 everyone will have their own A.I. that will generate bullshit for us.

On 3/21/2023 at 3:50 PM, Andrew Reid said:

So if it is a money pit it is a very small one especially from the perspective of a company like Amazon.

It was obviously valuable enough to be bought by a company the size of Amazon and it's a key strategic part of the camera industry so the likes of Canon will be keen to make sure it stays around.

Yes, Amazon bought it, and and finally had enough. Amazon has and had plenty of things they bought into that lost money - brick and mortar stores, hardware devices. Lots of stupid things. This was one. And Amazon bailed on those others too, like a good company should. They made a mistake. All those thousands of layoffs are due to their mistakes, including DPReview.

DPReview is a money loser, in which the leadership made no attempt to find revenue sources. Amazon is not to blame, the people running the site are.

The site is now filled with posters blaming Amazon, despite the fact that Amazon was subsidizing this no-revenue money pit for years. Not a single one these complainers spent a nickel towards the maintenance of the site. Some are saying they will never buy anything from Amazon again, as if they bought their Nikon Z9 from Amazon. Who the heck buys a serious camera (beside Instamax) from Amazon?

39 minutes ago, markr041 said:

Yes, Amazon bought it, and and finally had enough. Amazon has and had plenty of things they bought into that lost money - brick and mortar stores, hardware devices. Lots of stupid things. This was one. And Amazon bailed on those others too, like a good company should. They made a mistake. All those thousands of layoffs are due to their mistakes, including DPReview.

DPReview is a money loser, in which the leadership made no attempt to find revenue sources. Amazon is not to blame, the people running the site are.

The site is now filled with posters blaming Amazon, despite the fact that Amazon was subsidizing this no-revenue money pit for years. Not a single one these complainers spent a nickel towards the maintenance of the site. Some are saying they will never buy anything from Amazon again, as if they bought their Nikon Z9 from Amazon. Who the heck buys a serious camera (beside Instamax) from Amazon?

Forgive me, but how does that boot taste?

46 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I mean it quite literally, how does the boot of Jeff Bezos and Amazon taste? This kind of corporation apologia is ruining the world. And this is me being polite.

Thanks for the explanation. I don't think you understand what literally means. Really. But I will set that aside and get to your more important ignorance.

I was not apologizing for anyone. I was explaining the reality. You don't like it; I don't like it. But it is the reality. I don't apologize for snowstorms. I don't apologize for droughts. We all hate them. But, they all exist. And corporations seek to make money. They are not charities. I wish corporations would give away everything for free. I wish there were no bad weather events. But I am an adult.

I do not forgive you for your rudeness; it is never forgivable. I am more concerned, however, with your sense of entitlement and naivete. 

Do you feel entitled to free services? You were happy to pay nothing for those wonderful DPReview services, and then you complain when the free services are taken away. Are you willing to pay for the services provided by DPReview? I did not see you say that anywhere.

Do you think the DPReview staff are not responsible for never trying to raise money? They didn't lift a finger, and were happy, like you, to just be subsidized by the big, bad corporation. They should be apologizing to all of us who were unaware of the fact that DPReview was unsustainable. 

Cheap talk by you. You are evidently ignorant of the realities of economics. Which are not pretty, not likable, but exist. And don't blame me for informing you with the bad news - corporations are in it for the money and dump any activities that lose money. And, there are people like you who just wish everything was free and are happy to take free services. I was also happy to do so, and I was bamboozled. But I am not surprised the fantasy of free services with no revenue crashed. 

Oh, and I share the view that there should be a special tax on billionaires like Bezos.

1 hour ago, markr041 said:

ignorant of the realities of economics. Which are not pretty, not likable, but exist.

In the long run people can no more ignore the laws of economics than they can ignore the laws of gravity. 

But dpreview would have made a tonne in commissions / affiliate fees from the sales they sent to Amazon (ok, maybe not heaps of Z9 sales, but lots of sales in total none the less).

I'd have hoped they could have kept costs under control enough so that dpreview wouldn't have been shut down, as it should be easy to keep a site with dpreview's history profitable. Hard decisions might have needed to have been made, but it would've been very doable. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2023 at 10:43 PM, Joe G said:

Personally. I seem to be able to recall the written word  much more easily, than a rambling video by some person more interested in their own voice than getting to the point. I gave up on YouTube years ago. Sorry to see the demise of DPReview. Slowly we move toward the New Dark Ages ...

I wonder when we'll see an AI that you point at a YT video and it creates a transcript for you to read.  People like Gerald etc who script their videos speak in a relatively logical structure that wouldn't be too hard to read (unlike the vloggers who just do stream of consciousness to camera - those transcripts would be unreadable).

Maybe it exists already?

13 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

There was an update posted on DPReview a few days ago:

Dear readers,

We're coming up on about a month since our last update here and wanted to thank our community for continuing to support us.

We know you have questions about the status of DPReview since our last communication, and while there is nothing to share right now, we will continue to keep you informed as there are updates to share. In the meantime, we continue to publish news and features (some of my recent favorites have been a three part deep dive into understanding the science of dynamic range from May 2 and learning about the dream cameras our readers most want from May 8). Our forums also remain open and continue to be supported.

Thanks again to our faithful readers. You are what makes DPReview special.

Scott Everett
General Manager - DPReview.com

This part - "while there is nothing to share right now, we will continue to keep you informed as there are updates to share" - suggests to me that discussions are happening behind the scenes about possibly keeping it going in some form.

14 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

It’s all been an elaborate ruse to avoid paying redundancy to the two Canadian fellas ?

This is what I have been thinking too. DPReview bosses probably expected them to had more subscribers by now and viewed continuing paying them as pointless. I think they do an excellent job and don't know why they lagged behind incredibly hacky alternatives

Hopefully they got a fair deal with PetaPixel; I typically like their review videos the most.

• 3 weeks later...